Phuket Tourist Police expat volunteer arrested on crystal meth charges

Lite Beer

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Santa's come early with a nice sack of schadenfreude.......

Excellent use of the word "schadenfreude".

Well done that chap.

I think so too. Probably the only time that word has made it's way into the pages of TV. However, it is practiced on a daily basis.

Good standards

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I was discussing schadenfreude on TV with a poster a couple of days ago which then drew in others who'd had a similar discussion on here earlier in the week. We all agreed after many posts that it's never mentioned on TV.

wink.png

There is for sure one place where everybody's distaste for volunteer police officers has led to a conviction before all the facts are known, even before the defendant has been able to come up with any form of defense.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 2

Phuket volunteer expresses anger over Garry Halpin’s drug arrest
Claire Connell

PHUKET: The head co-ordinator of the Royal Thai Police Region 8 volunteers says he’s “p****d off” about the actions of arrested Tourist Police volunteer Garry Halpin and is concerned for the flow on effects for his volunteers.

Halpin was arrested last night after police caught him with 18.45 grammes of crystal methamphetamine (ya ice) at a Chalong hotel. Originally from New Zealand, Halpin has lived in Phuket for more than 15 years and has been a long-time Tourist Police volunteer.

Today Wal Brown, who is based out of Patong and is the co-ordinator for 28 foreign volunteers, spoke to The Phuket News after the news of Halpin’s arrest broke.

“I’m p****d off about it. I’m very concerned about what the ramifications will be for this,” Mr Brown told The Phuket News.

The Tourist Police group Halpin worked for was based out of Phuket Town and was a division of the Royal Thai Police. It was separate to Mr Brown’s Region 8 volunteers group, and the two groups worked independently, though most people did not know there was any difference between the foreigner volunteers.

He had known Halpin for around two or three years and said he was “very active, and very busy down in Chalong.”

“He did receive money per call out, that’s what he told me, and I was absolutely amazed. I said to him, a volunteer shouldn’t take money. I was shocked.”

When asked about the alleged crime, Mr Brown said, “It is amazing that any Westerner that has any sort of intellect would get involved in that sort of thing. It’s stupid for anyone to get involved in drugs, it’s absolutely stupid. Look at the number of people that ruin their lives with it. You only have to look at the prisons, 80 per cent of the people in there are because of drug related crimes – either buying or selling.

“A tourist police volunteer is supposed to assist the people, and I do believe Garry put a lot of time into doing that. He should have known that you can’t get away with something like that in this country. The first thing a Thai person will do when they’re caught is roll over and name those involved, and say “these people were my customers”.

“I’m concerned about this because mud sticks. When one Westerner has been caught for doing something illegal, people will think that all volunteers are doing something illegal. That’s not the case. It amazes me that he was so arrogant about it – arrogant in terms of using his position as a volunteer to sell drugs.

“I’m concerned the public will think that everyone is the same, but there are a lot of tourist police volunteers who work here and they’re great guys. They do a lot of good.”

Meanwile, a Phuket expat who knew Halpin earlier told The Phuket News he was “really shocked” to hear about the arrest.

“Not only because number one, it’s him, but number two, it’s ya ice, and he’s probably going to get life [in prison] for that, or a long sentence anyway," he told The Phuket News.

The man said Halpin was “heavily involved” with the Tourist Police and he had called on him three times to help in situations.

“He was a useful contact to have, and he spoke reasonable Thai. He was a nice guy, and very helpful. I’ve never heard anyone say a bad word about him.”

He said Halpin used to own a dive shop called Raya Divers on the Chalong Pier road, and another shop in Khao Lak, but was not sure if he was still involved in the running of the business.

Halpin has a 13-year-old daughter who lives in Phuket, and was understood to have lived in Phuket for at least 15 years.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-volunteer-expresses-anger-over-garry-halpin%E2%80%99s-drug-arrest-43448.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-12-15

There is for sure one place where everybody's distaste for volunteer police officers has led to a conviction before all the facts are known, even before the defendant has been able to come up with any form of defense.
its states he accepted the charges. Thats guilty in my books

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

In legal parlance in Thailand, is accepting the charges the same as confessing to the crime with which one is charged?

Let's not make excuses just because it is a farang eh........smile.png

• Like 1

FWIW. There is an app available to download that will track the location and calls of Samsung mobiles. The police here use this, I've seen it running and saw the movement and activity of my own phone. Once they have the number, they can map the movements and follow the movements of a contact if a Samsung user. I believe there is a similar capability for Nokia. A very useful tool for busting drug dealers. If the smart guys know of this, then a simple bit of product placement, such as this, sends out a warning.

Ive only heard bad things about volunteer police. They are always over exerting their authority. Getting into fights and tasering people, murder, drug dealing. Leave policing to the professionals. Not these under qualified, unchecked cowboys.

• Like 2

FWIW. There is an app available to download that will track the location and calls of Samsung mobiles. The police here use this, I've seen it running and saw the movement and activity of my own phone. Once they have the number, they can map the movements and follow the movements of a contact if a Samsung user. I believe there is a similar capability for Nokia. A very useful tool for busting drug dealers. If the smart guys know of this, then a simple bit of product placement, such as this, sends out a warning.

Let's hope the Thai girlfriends and wives of the members of TV do not find this information out.

They will be able to stalk you from the comfort of their living room. smile.pngsmile.png

Edited by NamKangMan

@ firestar

It doesn't matter what country you are from - if you deal drugs, you deserve to be "victimized."

I'm just saying, that of all the people to Thai guy dealt to, he gave up the frarang, and most probably for the reasons another member has posted.

You missed my point entirely.

When IrishIvan writes in his first post that " only Thai are allowed to deal drugs" he makes Farangs victims of the system.

As I said before, there is hundreds of small time Thai drug dealers arrested every day (only the powerful are immune) but you don't hear about it or who else they ratted on simply because 1. it isn't reported by English language publications. 2. no one cares.

Edited by firestar
  • Like 1

@ firestar

It doesn't matter what country you are from - if you deal drugs, you deserve to be "victimized."

I'm just saying, that of all the people to Thai guy dealt to, he gave up the frarang, and most probably for the reasons another member has posted.

You missed my point entirely.

When you write in your first post you that " only Thai are allowed to deal drugs" you put Farangs as victims of the system.

As I said before, there is hundreds of small time Thai drug dealers arrested every day (only the powerful are immune) but you don't hear about it or who else he ratted on simply because 1. it isn't be reported by English language publications. 2. no one cares.

Please show me where I posted, "only Thai are allowed to deal drugs."

You have quoted the wrong member.

So you believe the press here? That's a first.

• Like 2

Looks like Garry had to learn it the hard way that the status of an expat police volunteer is not similar to that of a "real" Thai policeman. A fine example you set, Garry, for all expat volunteers who do the job because they truly want to give something back to the people and the community. I am sure they are very proud of you!

Drug dealers in my opinion already are the scum of the earth, but a person who uses a certain status or official rank to sell drugs... how low can you go?

Guess we can be sure to see the headline "crackdown on expat police volunteers", in the news soon, because of scumbag Garry. Sure a lot of your colleagues will happily volunteer to be drivers and co drivers on your transport from Bangkok Hilton to the airport. May god have mercy on you.

Edited by catweazle
  • Like 2

So you believe the press here? That's a first.

No but I believe Chalong gossip and the rumours are flying. Ill be at the 'horror stretch' tonight for some more

• Like 2

Please show me where I posted, "only Thai are allowed to deal drugs."

You have quoted the wrong member.

I replied to IrishIvan's post you seemed to make your own :

Doesnt he know that drug dealing is an occupation reserved for Thais? Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Good point. The article doesn't say anything about him informing on Thai's that he sold to - just the farang. smile.png

Hence the confusion. I'll edit my post to "He said.."wai.gif

Edited by firestar

Looks like Garry had to learn it the hard way that the status of an expat police volunteer is not similar to that of a "real" Thai policeman. A fine example you set, Garry, for all expat volunteers who do the job because they truly want to give something back to the people and the community. I am sure they are very proud of you!

Drug dealers in my opinion already are the scum of the earth, but a person who uses a certain status or official rank to sell drugs... how low can you go?

Guess we can be sure to see the headline "crackdown on expat police volunteers", in the news soon, because of scumbag Garry. Sure a lot of your colleagues will happily volunteer to be drivers and co drivers on your transport from Bangkok Hilton to the airport. May god have mercy on you.

most of his colleagues will be long retired when he needs transport to the airport hopefully.

Re the arrested farang volunteer police aide:

“He did receive money per call out, that’s what he told me, and I was absolutely amazed. I said to him, a volunteer shouldn’t take money. I was shocked.”

Whatever happened to the notion that even unpaid volunteers in Thailand are supposed to have work permits for those positions?

And certainly work permits for work positions where cash payment is being made?

And, what exactly is a "volunteer" tourist police aide who gets paid for his services???

Sounds like drugs aren't the only thing amiss in this little fiasco.

Its hard to stand up for the guy if what he has 'supposedly' admitted to is true.

He was one of the nicest guys you would meet, had a hugely successful company and wife(maybe ex as it was often a love hate relationship) and 2 kids, those poor kids, especially the girl now old enough to understand.

Edited by Showbags
  • Like 1