Phuket Tourist Police expat volunteer arrested on crystal meth charges

Lite Beer

beeing a self-confessed customer at ´The Eden Club´

I was using artistic licence to make a point. I've never been to the Eden Club, but as a single guy, I would not feel morally ashamed etc.

Back on-topic, as PeterSmiles asked, if he was not dealing, then what was he doing with 18g of ice and weighing scales???

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even his supervisor Wal has stated he was taking money when he shouldnt have been. The drugs isnt the only thing this rooster was up to. And its been for a long time. You dont just come to another country and start dealing drugs. Im sure he has done it before in the west. Thats why he was so comfortable with it

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by IrishIvan

Believe me he is by no means an angel (AS NO ONE IS) he is a guy who does like to have fun, is adventurous, care free but has a huge heart and he has done so much good that is now tainted by this. Don't tell me to watch this space please as I know more than you ever will on this topic smile.png

Fine, you have defended your mate good, and he was not a dealer.

Since you know him so well, tell us what he was doing with 18 gram of Meth in his room. It's not that a user stocks up because he expects a price rise is it.

First of all have you read anything I wrote.... I have not denied he did anything wrong...he is in the wrong. Secondly he is not my MATE he is a very close member of my FAMILY. I said he denies dealing and is innocent until proven guilty. He does have personal issues and whatever he chooses to accept or deny our family will support him (however we are very disappointed and do not condone this at all...I just want to make that clear!!!)

Does anyone wonder HOW he was caught???? What about the THAI native who first sold Garry the drugs??? He himself was caught and in exchange for getting off the hook set Garry up plus an exchange of $$$$ was given to the corrupt Thai cops.

Really. Why did he accept the drugs from the Thai dealer? Your post states "he is in the wrong." Then you state "He himself was caught and in exchange for getting off the hook set Garry up." So, which one is it? He's in the wrong - or was set up????

Is his defence going to be that he went for the deal - under cover?

Do you not read what I write properly? GARRY WAS IN THE WRONG. YES. The THAI native was ALSO in the wrong and SET GARRY UP to save himself.........to spare himself jail time the Thai dealer paid off the cops and gave them Garry who DID have posession of the drugs.

Oh my goodness. How many times do I have to say the same thing over and over?

Even his supervisor Wal has stated he was taking money when he shouldnt have been. The drugs isnt the only thing this rooster was up to. And its been for a long time. You dont just come to another country and start dealing drugs. Im sure he has done it before in the west. Thats why he was so comfortable with it Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Done it before in the West? He has lived in Thailand since he was 22 years old! He was in NZ and Australia before this working for his father..you know nothing!!!!

Even his supervisor Wal has stated he was taking money when he shouldnt have been. The drugs isnt the only thing this rooster was up to. And its been for a long time. You dont just come to another country and start dealing drugs. Im sure he has done it before in the west. Thats why he was so comfortable with it Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Done it before in the West? He has lived in Thailand since he was 22 years old! He was in NZ and Australia before this working for his father..you know nothing!!!!

what sort of work was his father doing? Also the average age for a drug dealer in any country would have to be less than 20

First of all Garry Halpin is a member of my family and we are absolutely shocked and saddened by this news. Garry is a wonderful, kind, caring and GENEROUS person who has made some devastatingly bad decisions!

For everyone saying he should be made an example of and should rot in jail, please know he is the sole provider and carer for two young children and you cannot judge someone based on an awful mistake when you do not know him nor know what led to him being put in this stupid situation...desperate times call for desperate measures...and NO that does not condone or justify doing what he did but he has been going through tough times recently. Our family only wishes now that we knew the extent of this so that we could help.

He is not a terrible person, he has just made a terrible terrible choice.

maybe so BUT it was HIS choice, especially as you say he had family to turn to that would of helped, I have made some awful choices and decisions in my life time and burnt my bridges as I went so had no one to help, I never turned to crime as such to help though.

Yes it was his choice..a very terrible one. Yes we would of helped him had we known, but he is too proud of a person to ask for help. In no way does that justify his actions. I do agree with you, yet this is devastating to us and his children so it is just irritating how people are very quick to judge, when you walk a mile in someone elses shoes or know someone in the situation it's not as clear as you think it would be.

First of all Garry Halpin is a member of my family and we are absolutely shocked and saddened by this news. Garry is a wonderful, kind, caring and GENEROUS person who has made some devastatingly bad decisions!

For everyone saying he should be made an example of and should rot in jail, please know he is the sole provider and carer for two young children and you cannot judge someone based on an awful mistake when you do not know him nor know what led to him being put in this stupid situation...desperate times call for desperate measures...and NO that does not condone or justify doing what he did but he has been going through tough times recently. Our family only wishes now that we knew the extent of this so that we could help.

maybe so BUT it was HIS choice, especially as you say he had family to turn to that would of helped, I have made some awful choices and decisions in my life time and burnt my bridges as I went so had no one to help, I never turned to crime as such to help though.

Yes it was his choice..a very terrible one. Yes we would of helped him had we known, but he is too proud of a person to ask for help. In no way does that justify his actions. I do agree with you, yet this is devastating to us and his children so it is just irritating how people are very quick to judge, when you walk a mile in someone elses shoes or know someone in the situation it's not as clear as you think it would be.

whats wrong with getting a job?

Definitly it´s really STUPID to sell (or use) drugs when you know that the risks (sentences) are so high.

What is even more STUPID is that the sentences are so high. A friend of mine got one year in the monkey house in Bali for possession of 1 joint. That´s 1 JOINT! It´s just rediculous. Survey after survey shows that harsher punishment regarding drugs have no effect. NONE!

On the contrary, countries who have legalized drug use, in different extent, show a drastically reducement in drug related crimes.

This ´war on drugs´, started by the US, have only losers, and the rest of the world is starting to acknowledge this more and more. I hope Thailand will follow in their steps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unu-sbtp65A

I had a better link regarding this subject before, but lost it. Although, the numbers stated in this link are correct, do your own research if you don´t believe me.

• Like 1

But, we all make decisions and should think of our loved ones first. No excuses eh. We all would like to make an easy buck, but some of us have morals how to make that buck.......thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

and another thing. Most hardworking honest folk find ice dealers 'irritating'

Its hard to stand up for the guy if what he has 'supposedly' admitted to is true.

He was one of the nicest guys you would meet, had a hugely successful company and wife(maybe ex as it was often a love hate relationship) and 2 kids, those poor kids, especially the girl now old enough to understand.

"had a hugely successful company" - couldn't have been too "hugely successful" if he had to deal drugs for money.

what sort of work was his father doing? Also the average age for a drug dealer in any country would have to be less than 20

Not that it is any of your business but he had his own building company before he passed away and sold the company, left money to both of his sons (one which was Garry) who then decided on traveling around the world yet stopped in Thailand, fell in love with the island life and started a reputable business until he fell on hard times. Hope that kills some of your nosy curiosity.

Not that it is any of your business but he had his own building company before he passed away and sold the company, left money to both of his sons (one which was Garry) who then decided on traveling around the world yet stopped in Thailand, fell in love with the island life and started a reputable business until he fell on hard times. Hope that kills some of your nosy curiosity.

in other words just a spoilt brat all his life, a mister I AM type of grub???

Do you not read what I write properly? GARRY WAS IN THE WRONG. YES. The THAI native was ALSO in the wrong and SET GARRY UP to save himself.........to spare himself jail time the Thai dealer paid off the cops and gave them Garry who DID have posession of the drugs.

Oh my goodness. How many times do I have to say the same thing over and over?

I think it's because people don't understand the point you are trying to make. He is a good Father, so what? people who commit all sorts of crimes are otherwise good to their families.

Apart from the drug deal a senior Tourist Police Officer confirmed he was taking money when he shouldn't have, there is also elsewhere someone alleging he extorted 60000 from them only a month ago.

Anyway, just like the Thai native, most likely he will either make a deal, or find a way to get out on bail and flee Thailand but him being, or not being, a good father is er.. irrelevant.

Edited by firestar

Seems you have some experience with ice dealers then... Seems a bit odd for a hardworking honest person like yourself...

“Garry was a tourist police volunteer who always helped the Chalong Police to communicate with tourists. He worked closely with police, and used this connection to convince foreigners that he could do what he wanted, right or wrong,” Lt Col Jarun Bangprasert of the Phuket Provincial Police said.

I believe it won't take long to convince him he's just a run-of-the-mill Farang now. So much for connections.

Seems you have some experience with ice dealers then... Seems a bit odd for a hardworking honest person like yourself...

I think he meant it is irritating when standing in line to buy a bag of ice to keep his drinks coolwink.png

• Like 1

In reply to what you just said:

Absolutely not. His parents divorced when he was 10, he moved to Australia because his father was moving there and he chose to live with him. There were a lot of hard times before his father made any profit on his business and did I say it was SUCCESSFUL?! It wasn't a huge business just his father, Garry and Garry's brother working so I'm sure they would of made no more than $10k each, which in those days would of been a lot to a young man starting his life and finding his path in the world!

Edited by abcdefghi

@ abcdefghi

"The THAI native was ALSO in the wrong and SET GARRY UP to save himself." - it's your use of the words "set Garry up" that suggests the planting of drugs or similar.

A better choice of words, to describe this police operation, with Garry as the target, would have been - "The Thai native organised to supply Garry drugs, under police supervision, and Garry bought the drugs" or words similar.

The use of your words "set up Garry" has caused the confusion.

• Like 1

Tourist Police = Idiots who want to be someone.

Better do away with all of them and teach some of the brighter police ( Are there any? ) to speak other languages

This may be a bit harsh with respect to the foreign volunteers, but I've always had mixed feelings about them and their motivation & agenda... If you've had a good experience with them, 'seems like this is your golden opportunity to share it.

Better do away with all of them and teach some of the brighter police ( Are there any? ) to speak other languages

This may be a bit harsh with respect to the foreign volunteers, but I've always had mixed feelings about them and their motivation & agenda... If you've had a good experience with them, 'seems like this is your golden opportunity to share it.

cant see much coming forth from that.

Edited by briboy

According to the charges (which he apparently has accepted), he was not using drugs, but dealing ya ice and ya bah.

Please don't talk to me about terrible choices. I am a Tourist Police Volunteer in Phuket and proud of that fact. I saw my marriage and family life destroyed due to scum like him selling drugs to my (now ex) wife.

Like Wal (see previous post with his comments), I am completely p*ssed off with Gary. His illegal activites will forever be linked to his work as a TPV - there is no question about that.

There are many honest and hard-working volunteer police in Phuket and other locations. We are not all power-crazy and corrupt (the last time I wore jackboots was at Eden Club....)

I am frankly, shocked that he could stoop so low as to deal in drugs, using his TPV status as some form of protection and immunity.

Simon

Well, I have really no love for drug dealer. But most probably your marriage was destroyed (sorry for that!) by your wife using drugs.

Not by the seller. The seller is scum because he knows what people do with it, but he still isn't force feeding the drugs into the user.

He only makes a profit from the weakness of other people, but the same thing is alcohol seller, cigarette seller, casinos, chocolate seller. They know that their best customer are damaging themself with their products. Not as much as with drugs, but still.

• Like 1

I am not in Phuket, I don't want to be. I am a TPV where I am, I do not wear a uniform, BUT have put my services forward to TP to help farags to understand their position if a problem. Plain and simple. Folk here run me down as being a truncheon wielding wannabe, which could not be further than the truth. smile.png

I am not in Phuket, I don't want to be. I am a TPV where I am, I do not wear a uniform, BUT have put my services forward to TP to help farags to understand their position if a problem. Plain and simple. Folk here run me down as being a truncheon wielding wannabe, which could not be further than the truth. smile.png

So, you are simply called into the station to explain to the farang that he is going to be extorted for his freedom, and that is the way it works in Thai culture.

Did you help get the price down for the farang, or the price up for the cops????

Did you get paid for your "services?"

Edited by NamKangMan

10 years would be a good sentence and after 5 years shipped back to Kiwi land. I am afraid this guy only gets a couple of months plus the exchange of some large amount of Baht either at the police or via a lawyer to the courts.

Thai's would be gone for 18 - 24 months on this amount and possible even more.

We keep hearing farangs are getting busted but I have never heard that a farang actually gets jailed in Phuket, Samui or Pattaya.

You are a bit of a tool aren't you with comments like that.

You are a bit of a tool aren't you with comments like that.

People that deal ice to teenagers are just one rung up the ladder from rock spiders. Are you defending him?

• Like 1