Phuket Tourist Police expat volunteer arrested on crystal meth charges

Lite Beer

So many claims about Gary taking money off people and abusing his position and trust.

WHY DID NO-ONE OUT HIM?

There is no shame in outing a bent police officer! Perhaps if these claims had been publicised, he would have been dismissed from the TPVs and maybe punished - a punishment which could have brought him to his senses - if these claims are true of course.

I'm not happy that so many people on this forum apparently knew about his dishonesty, but kept quiet about it.

A TPV (or any other police officer for that matter), should not take one single baht from anyone for his assistance, not should he/she use his position of trust to gain influence in any way.

I'm sick and tired of hearing such complaints, and not only in this specific case. There are some hardworking volunteers in the TPV programme and each and every volunteer who abuses his/her position needs to be kicked out of the force and harshly punished. Only then will people have faith in these volunteers.

It seems that a hotline number to report foreign TPV misdemeanors would be useful.

Simon

Well his colleague Wal didnt do anything about Garry collecting money.

Also why havent they taken his pic off the website if he supposedly out of the force since last April?

Wal did not say that he knew he was collecting money. He said "He received money per call out." Big difference. This is the second time you have misquoted, misunderstood, or assumed things which were not true in this thread. Please read more carefully especially when accusing someone of something.

im sorry, I just find it difficult to defend ice dealers

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So many claims about Gary taking money off people and abusing his position and trust.

WHY DID NO-ONE OUT HIM?

There is no shame in outing a bent police officer! Perhaps if these claims had been publicised, he would have been dismissed from the TPVs and maybe punished - a punishment which could have brought him to his senses - if these claims are true of course.

I'm not happy that so many people on this forum apparently knew about his dishonesty, but kept quiet about it.

A TPV (or any other police officer for that matter), should not take one single baht from anyone for his assistance, not should he/she use his position of trust to gain influence in any way.

I'm sick and tired of hearing such complaints, and not only in this specific case. There are some hardworking volunteers in the TPV programme and each and every volunteer who abuses his/her position needs to be kicked out of the force and harshly punished. Only then will people have faith in these volunteers.

It seems that a hotline number to report foreign TPV misdemeanors would be useful.

Simon

Also why havent they taken his pic off the website if he supposedly out of the force since last April?

Wal did not say that he knew he was collecting money. He said "He received money per call out." Big difference. This is the second time you have misquoted, misunderstood, or assumed things which were not true in this thread. Please read more carefully especially when accusing someone of something.

No, you find it difficult defending the truth when it doesn't fit your perceptions and prejudices.

And your inaccurate comments which I have responded to were not about an ice dealer, they were about the FPV's in general or specific members of the FPV's.

Edited by NomadJoe
  • Like 1

Defending ice dealers and being truthful are two very different realms.

Ahem Nomad Joe, I think you are a bit biased in this particular situation wouldn't you say? Its natural to defend something you are or something you believe in.

The truth of the matter is this program needs to be scrapped. It attracts the wrong types. Its glaringly obvious that this Garry character was up to no good judging by the stories being told in this forum, they cant all be untrue. I suspect this is the tip of the iceberg and more heads should roll.

The public knew about it and so did his colleagues. His colleagues should hang their heads in shame too...they created this monster by allowing him to act in a corrupt way while they knew about it.

So collecting money and receiving money are different, thanks for clarifying that for me

Wal did not say that he knew he was collecting money. He said "He received money per call out." Big difference.

And what exactly is the difference?

Did the money he demanded come to him before he offered to "help" a tourist in trouble (so, receive it).....or did he have to go out to collect the money when "helping"?

Wal did not say that he knew he was collecting money. He said "He received money per call out." Big difference.

And what exactly is the difference?

Did the money he demanded come to him before he offered to "help" a tourist in trouble (so, receive it).....or did he have to go out to collect the money when "helping"?

The difference is that one is what Wal said and the other isn't.

Do not assume that I think either one is OK. I should not need to explain the difference between collecting protection money on behalf of police or demanding a cut of a settlement vs. being paid a set amount by the police per translation service provided. IrishIvan turned a comment stating the latter into an accusation of the former.

Ahem Nomad Joe, I think you are a bit biased in this particular situation wouldn't you say? Its natural to defend something you are or something you believe in.

The truth of the matter is this program needs to be scrapped. It attracts the wrong types. Its glaringly obvious that this Garry character was up to no good judging by the stories being told in this forum, they cant all be untrue. I suspect this is the tip of the iceberg and more heads should roll.

The public knew about it and so did his colleagues. His colleagues should hang their heads in shame too...they created this monster by allowing him to act in a corrupt way while they knew about it.

What exactly, in your mind, do you think I am defending? You misquoted someone on the periphery of all this, twice, and I corrected you. I believe in being accurate, so yes I guess that naturally makes me biased against you.

Yes, I know a lot of police volunteers, and the ones I know are squeaky clean. I have never met Garry, I only know him by reputation. Like I said earlier, he did his own thing.

Edited by NomadJoe

He said "He received money per call out.

You're splitting hairs. Receiving money for a callout is totally against the regulations, and Gary knows that. If I received money for every time that I have been called to the airport to help a tourist, then I'd be a rich man! The rules are very easy to understand 'No money, no rewards, no favours'. If you can't abide by those rules, then don't bother applying for the job.

Simon

• Like 1

WHY DID NO-ONE OUT HIM?

Simon

Isn't "he received money per call out" in direct contradiction to his/their volunteer status????

• Like 1

So collecting money and receiving money are different, thanks for clarifying that for me

It doesn't mater if the money was "received" or "collected" - as long as it was for "tea." cheesy.gif

The thing is that if you start twisting the words and meanings from what was said to something else, you are being an politician. While you do that, the original message is blended with biased talk. This reduces the value of the original message.

If I would like to give sympathy to the accused, which I don't, I would bend the message exactly as you do. Eg. doing the opposite at the first.

Yep I got fleeced by this guy also- to the tune of 300,000 baht. However total loss was 1.1 mil thb in funds that were supposed to be used to pay rent for a building housing a new tourist police centre.

You might want to delete this if you are pursuing the cash.

Basically I agreed to pay rent for a building down at chalong that was going to house the new tourist police drop in centre. This did open for 2 or 3 weeks. Well good idea but the money I paid didn't find it's way to the landlord and eventually the landlord repossessed the building. Garry could only account for the missing money as "expenses".

To be fair when I first met Garry he helped me out. I guess maybe he is a victim of circumstance but it looks like things have gotten a bit out of control for him over the last few years.

Garry Halpin's dubious activities were reported to the police in Phuket on many occasions and they chose to do nothing. I surmise because he was privy to and involved in the huge level of corruption circling Chalong police station. Fact! Like many criminals on the dark side he had no aparent income yet he lived well enough to work as an unpaid volunteer? The same man who not so long ago begged borrowed and lived in the ears of his friends. His fluency in Thai, dubious personality and modus operandi marked him out as a model Phuket policeman. Instead of helping me on one occasion he actually threatened me. He is up to his oxters in it as are the Phuket police including the tourist police who knew what he was up to. I think it will be interesting to see how this all plays out. If it ever plays out. My guess is this will not go the distance unlike the many Chalong policemen who were moved on. One in particular Garry's mentor who was shipped down south I believe? I also note that it is mentioned that Garry opted out last April but is that his tourist police badge on the table in the police photo?

You're splitting hairs. Receiving money for a callout is totally against the regulations, and Gary knows that. If I received money for every time that I have been called to the airport to help a tourist, then I'd be a rich man! The rules are very easy to understand 'No money, no rewards, no favours'. If you can't abide by those rules, then don't bother applying for the job.

Simon

I strongly disagree Simon. We are talking about a specific quote by the coordinator of different a group of volunteers. The statement was "He was paid per call-out". IrishIvan drastically changed that statement to "he was a money collector for the police." to try to make a point that other volunteers are guilty for not reporting him.

I agree with you that foreign volunteers shouldn't get compensation with the exception of a uniform allowance, unless they want to change their name. "Police assistant" is often used. (Although technically "volunteer" is not the same as "unpaid." Most countries, for example, have an "all-volunteer" military, but they get paid. But that is splitting hairs.)

Does the drug dealing of those amounts really pay so well that it's worth of risking everything?

But, did he have a work permit?

That is terrible a person in a position of trust that should be looked up to.

I wonder why they mention 'Samsung Galaxy phone and other drug related equipment' in one sentence?

What about all the drug-dealing, gambling, crooked police I see in Bangkok, Phuket and other places that work in the red-light areas?

- why focus on one bad foreigner when there is 100 times more of the Thai bad police?

of course the foreigner is bad and wrong, but really,, how about dealing with the bad thai police too ? !!

Does the drug dealing of those amounts really pay so well that it's worth of risking everything?

But, did he have a work permit?

That is terrible a person in a position of trust that should be looked up to.

I wonder why they mention 'Samsung Galaxy phone and other drug related equipment' in one sentence?

What about all the drug-dealing, gambling, crooked police I see in Bangkok, Phuket and other places that work in the red-light areas?

- why focus on one bad foreigner when there is 100 times more of the Thai bad police?

of course the foreigner is bad and wrong, but really,, how about dealing with the bad thai police too ? !!

The topic IS about a farang..............coffee1.gif

You can start a topic about your other concerns eh.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Simon

I strongly disagree Simon. We are talking about a specific quote by the coordinator of different a group of volunteers. The statement was "He was paid per call-out". IrishIvan drastically changed that statement to "he was a money collector for the police." to try to make a point that other volunteers are guilty for not reporting him.

I agree with you that foreign volunteers shouldn't get compensation with the exception of a uniform allowance, unless they want to change their name. "Police assistant" is often used. (Although technically "volunteer" is not the same as "unpaid." Most countries, for example, have an "all-volunteer" military, but they get paid. But that is splitting hairs.)

I just said collecting money. Thats collecting money for himself

Simon

It appears to me that he was "collecting money" for the BiB, during his "call outs" and he "received" a percentage of that money collected as "payment" for his services.

To me, it appears he was a "collector" of money for the BiB, and he "received" payment for himself - so he did both.

I agree with you that foreign volunteers shouldn't get compensation with the exception of a uniform allowance

Whether he was receiving money for his time or for his superiors is IMHO, irrelevant. The requirement of that volunteer work is that you work without reward or favour.

Why couldn't he simply refuse to accept any gratuity? I manage to say no - why couldn't he??

Let there be no confusion Halpin is no fool he has been living here for over 20 years. He is and was never a civically minded person indeed quite the opposite. He joined the Tourist Police Volunteers to make money and that he did. Not just by dealing in drugs but by using other ways and means to further disadvantage others who turned to him for help. Halpin operated in the corruption den which is Chalong police station and I estimate this is just the tip of the 'ice' berg. Indeed this could potentially be the beginning of the end of Phuket if his prosecution is taken to a conclusion. And for those who suggest he is a kind caring family man should perhaps ask his wife who will tell a different story. Sent from my i-mobile i-note 3 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I really like that you think you know so much about my family and Garry's wife as she is FAR from perfect. I am a very neutral and objective person (despite what people may perceive) and I do love his wife however she also deserves a lot of blame. You cannot judge ANYONE until you know the whole story, not just one side but both sides.

I appreciate you trying to defend Garry. It is laudable and understandable. But I would suggest that perhaps it was his family who knew the least about the real Garry Halpin. Yes his very young wife contributed to the failed union but she was a babe in arms when he met her and the often absent Garry tried to dominate and mould her using force that was both shameful and unacceptable. Love and respect is earned not forced. Garry saw the 'Volunteers' as a quick fix means to an end and he got lost in the mix. I dont think there are many in Phuket more informed in how the island operates than Garry and he went into this with his eyes wide open and his brain switched off.

Collect...receive?

It doesn't really matter as the payment is a bribe. It is against the rules and therefore illegal.

But then he was moulded in the corrupt centre of Thailand....Chalong Police station.

Why did they turn on him? I bet this won't go the distance as he knows the inside story all too well. I'd look over my shoulder if I was Halpin. He deserves his "friends" in the police force.

Let there be no confusion Halpin is no fool he has been living here for over 20 years. He is and was never a civically minded person indeed quite the opposite. He joined the Tourist Police Volunteers to make money and that he did. Not just by dealing in drugs but by using other ways and means to further disadvantage others who turned to him for help. Halpin operated in the corruption den which is Chalong police station and I estimate this is just the tip of the 'ice' berg. Indeed this could potentially be the beginning of the end of Phuket if his prosecution is taken to a conclusion. And for those who suggest he is a kind caring family man should perhaps ask his wife who will tell a different story. Sent from my i-mobile i-note 3 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I really like that you think you know so much about my family and Garry's wife as she is FAR from perfect. I am a very neutral and objective person (despite what people may perceive) and I do love his wife however she also deserves a lot of blame. You cannot judge ANYONE until you know the whole story, not just one side but both sides.

I appreciate you trying to defend Garry. It is laudable and understandable. But I would suggest that perhaps it was his family who knew the least about the real Garry Halpin. Yes his very young wife contributed to the failed union but she was a babe in arms when he met her and the often absent Garry tried to dominate and mould her using force that was both shameful and unacceptable. Love and respect is earned not forced. Garry saw the 'Volunteers' as a quick fix means to an end and he got lost in the mix. I dont think there are many in Phuket more informed in how the island operates than Garry and he went into this with his eyes wide open and his brain switched off.

I was thinking this just the other day, in fact there would not be too many foreigners that know more than he does about the inner workings....he was not only connected in phuket...he called some very high individuals in Bangkok friends.

It is for this reason that I wonder why it has got this far...of all the foreigners in Thailand, none would be more switched on and connected to be able to nip this in the butt well before his mug was printed on a newspaper front page.....WHY

• Like 1

Collect...receive?

It doesn't really matter as the payment is a bribe. It is against the rules and therefore illegal.

It appears to me that he was "collecting money" for the BiB, during his "call outs" and he "received" a percentage of that money collected as "payment" for his services.

To me, it appears he was a "collector" of money for the BiB, and he "received" payment for himself - so he did both.

Yes, it would appear so. But you guys have all lost the plot, literally.

The receive vs. collect was in reference to the comment by Wal in the article he was interviewed for. IrishIvan misquoted him, and twisted what he said to suit his agenda, as he often does on this board.

As I have already said, of course volunteers should not be compensated. The ones I know aren't, and in fact are "p$%^ed" when they hear of another that is, just like Wal was.

The reason I am commenting on this is I see a trend in this thread where the actions of one person are being used to tarnish the reputation of other really good and honest people.

IMO Garry has been the boil on the nose of an otherwise really good program which does a lot to help out tourists in trouble. I have to admit that when I read the headline, I was pretty sure it was him before I even read the article. The program, if it survives this, will be far better off without him.

Edited by NomadJoe