BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
CMNightRider

The White Plate Cafe, Chiang Mai

Cheers for the heads up, as my Thai GF frequents Kamthien Market rather frequently we shall give it a try. Good to catch up with a fellow kiwi every now and then too... wai.gif

Agree. I think it's the best burger in CM. I was not too sure about the mango at first, but think it acts a bit like a sweet pickle relish and though the fries were not plentiful, they were perfectly done, crispy on the outside and moist on the inside.

Yep, great grub and good prices. The mango, beetroot, burger combo is the dog's danglers!

• Like 1

Agree. I think it's the best burger in CM. I was not too sure about the mango at first, but think it acts a bit like a sweet pickle relish and though the fries were not plentiful, they were perfectly done, crispy on the outside and moist on the inside.

Up until today, I always thought Dukes made the best burgers in CM. The owner suggested I try the mango and beet burger. At first, I didn't think he knew much about making a burger but when he served it, I knew this guy knew what he is doing. I hope they do well in CM. :-)

• Like 2

I'm always deeply suspicious of 'adverts' for restaurants where they don't reveal the price of the food.

Always makes me think the owner (or owners friend) is advertising a place but fearful that their prices are scarily high.

No price, I won't be going.

PS

I don't buy unpriced items in shops or markets either, they usually have a special 'foreigner' price.

Edited by onthedarkside
insults to 2 other forum memebers - removed
  • Like 2

Thanks. Seems worth a go. Didnt know there was a Rimping there either...

I'm always deeply suspicious of 'adverts' for restaurants where they don't reveal the price of the food.

Always makes me think the owner (or owners friend) is advertising a place but fearful that their prices are scarily high.

No price, I won't be going.

PS

I don't buy unpriced items in shops or markets either, they usually have a special 'foreigner' price.

"Excellent and very inexpensive" . .... Is that not enough indication about prices or do you want the actual price of each item? Your obsession about prices is quite normal for a Farang living in Chiang Mai. Stay here long enough and you won't be as paranoid. Time heals.

• Like 1

I have eaten there twice. Between wife and I, had NZ steak sandwich, pesto chicken pasta, mango burger, and Caesar salad. I think burger was 160, truly delicious and certainly in the running for best CM burger. Owner/cook super friendly.

• Like 1

Thanks. Seems worth a go. Didnt know there was a Rimping there either...

I think Rimping has only been there for about eight months. We just discovered that part of JJ Market a couple of weeks ago. There are several small coffee houses and restaurants in there worth visiting.

• Like 1

Sounds good. I'll give this place a go also. Can someone provide a bit more info on location? For someone who (uh, cough) does not know where JJ market is. Thanks

I have never been to the restaurant mentioned, but have walked passed it. Like so many threads on TV, readers are off on another goose chase.

Say you are circling the moat on the outside. You hit the northeast corner and could turn right towards Miquels and Tha Phae gate. There's a big screen t.v. at the intersection. Turn left instead. Proceed past Nana Screw, 7-11, cross Sanamkela rd (stop light) and cross Muan-dan-pra-kot road (stoplight). You are getting close to Kamtieng market, the super highway, and Tesco.

JJ market and the miniature Rimping are on the left. The first time you'll probably miss the sign and the turn, but you can park on the street. It's all on the inside, not on the street. It's worth a look. There are many new businesses opening up there and I wish them well, but have my doubts.

A little further on, almost to the super highway is the best kept secret post office in Chiang Mai. If you hit it right, the parking lot is empty and the number you take is instantly called.