The White Plate Cafe, Chiang Mai

CMNightRider

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree. I think it's the best burger in CM. I was not too sure about the mango at first, but think it acts a bit like a sweet pickle relish and though the fries were not plentiful, they were perfectly done, crispy on the outside and moist on the inside.

Agree. I think it's the best burger in CM. I was not too sure about the mango at first, but think it acts a bit like a sweet pickle relish and though the fries were not plentiful, they were perfectly done, crispy on the outside and moist on the inside.

Up until today, I always thought Dukes made the best burgers in CM. The owner suggested I try the mango and beet burger. At first, I didn't think he knew much about making a burger but when he served it, I knew this guy knew what he is doing. I hope they do well in CM. :-)

• Like 2

I'm always deeply suspicious of 'adverts' for restaurants where they don't reveal the price of the food.

Always makes me think the owner (or owners friend) is advertising a place but fearful that their prices are scarily high.

No price, I won't be going.

PS

I don't buy unpriced items in shops or markets either, they usually have a special 'foreigner' price.

Edited by onthedarkside
insults to 2 other forum memebers - removed
  • Like 2

I'm always deeply suspicious of 'adverts' for restaurants where they don't reveal the price of the food.

Always makes me think the owner (or owners friend) is advertising a place but fearful that their prices are scarily high.

No price, I won't be going.

PS

I don't buy unpriced items in shops or markets either, they usually have a special 'foreigner' price.

"Excellent and very inexpensive" . .... Is that not enough indication about prices or do you want the actual price of each item? Your obsession about prices is quite normal for a Farang living in Chiang Mai. Stay here long enough and you won't be as paranoid. Time heals.

• Like 1

I have eaten there twice. Between wife and I, had NZ steak sandwich, pesto chicken pasta, mango burger, and Caesar salad. I think burger was 160, truly delicious and certainly in the running for best CM burger. Owner/cook super friendly.

• Like 1

Thanks. Seems worth a go. Didnt know there was a Rimping there either...

I think Rimping has only been there for about eight months. We just discovered that part of JJ Market a couple of weeks ago. There are several small coffee houses and restaurants in there worth visiting.

• Like 1

I have never been to the restaurant mentioned, but have walked passed it. Like so many threads on TV, readers are off on another goose chase.

Say you are circling the moat on the outside. You hit the northeast corner and could turn right towards Miquels and Tha Phae gate. There's a big screen t.v. at the intersection. Turn left instead. Proceed past Nana Screw, 7-11, cross Sanamkela rd (stop light) and cross Muan-dan-pra-kot road (stoplight). You are getting close to Kamtieng market, the super highway, and Tesco.

JJ market and the miniature Rimping are on the left. The first time you'll probably miss the sign and the turn, but you can park on the street. It's all on the inside, not on the street. It's worth a look. There are many new businesses opening up there and I wish them well, but have my doubts.

A little further on, almost to the super highway is the best kept secret post office in Chiang Mai. If you hit it right, the parking lot is empty and the number you take is instantly called.

re

I think Rimping has only been there for about eight months.

it was supposed to open may 6th

when it actually did i dont know :(

re

For someone who (uh, cough) does not know where JJ market is.

rimping is the green arrow

tesco lotus kamtien is the blue

dave2

post-42592-0-71041100-1387109927_thumb.j

post-42592-0-84430100-1387109958_thumb.j

post-42592-0-17958000-1387110009_thumb.j

post-42592-0-35299100-1387110046_thumb.j

I have never been to the restaurant mentioned, but have walked passed it. Like so many threads on TV, readers are off on another goose chase.

Say you are circling the moat on the outside. You hit the northeast corner and could turn right towards Miquels and Tha Phae gate. There's a big screen t.v. at the intersection. Turn left instead. Proceed past Nana Screw, 7-11, cross Sanamkela rd (stop light) and cross Muan-dan-pra-kot road (stoplight). You are getting close to Kamtieng market, the super highway, and Tesco.

JJ market and the miniature Rimping are on the left. The first time you'll probably miss the sign and the turn, but you can park on the street. It's all on the inside, not on the street. It's worth a look. There are many new businesses opening up there and I wish them well, but have my doubts.

A little further on, almost to the super highway is the best kept secret post office in Chiang Mai. If you hit it right, the parking lot is empty and the number you take is instantly called.

thanks for the restaurant recommendation, will have to try it. good directions from luther. i agree that is a terrible location as nothing ever seems to make it in there. i hope this restaurant does well though. don't know what it is but parking could be one of the issues and all the bars at night dominate the entire street. i believe you can only use the street to park until 3:30 p.m.

the Kamthieng post office used to be one of the best kept secrets. have you been there recently? it is popular with sellers as they have many carts to transport packages of high volume sellers, ramps, etc. the wife shipped all her things from her websites there for about 18 months. she said the last 4 times she was there that the wait was close to an hour in the queue as there were as many as 35+ high volume shippers ahead of her.

Now these are some good directions. This guy is not playing around. Thx. I didn't know about the post office. I drive by all the time. Nor did I know about the mini-Rimping. Edited by DeeMockMark

I've been there a few times now. A really nice addition to chiang mais resturants. The burgers are all unique and they really pull them off well. Prices are good, more or less the same as any of the other places in town. The rest of the menu is pretty nice too, they have a few different options if you don't want to eat hamburgers and they are fairly healthy options as well.

Tried twice and will go back for more.....really nice burger and friendly people.... Love their dessert Chocolate lava thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif

They got a facebook too if I can post here.....

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-White-Plate-Cafe/647145181977886

http://www.chiangmaicitynews.com/restaurant.php?id=63

After upload all these photo I'm hungry again passifier.gif.pagespeed.ce.4LsapYv4zC.gi

post-184157-0-23572400-1387230840_thumb.

post-184157-0-31854800-1387230848_thumb.

post-184157-0-71683200-1387230856_thumb.

post-184157-0-69750700-1387231073_thumb.

post-184157-0-66756400-1387231084_thumb.

post-184157-0-76947400-1387231251_thumb.

• Like 2

With a friend I had lunch at the White Plate yesterday.

Not next to Rimping but close by, to the left and one row back if stood with your back to car park.

Clean and very friendly owner and wife.

We both had the Rib Eye Steak very nice and a good price of B300.

Started with Garlic Bread and a salad both well prepared.

We finished off with crepe and fruit salad.

A pleasant place for lunch and inexspensive.

Wine was available, and the owners are happy for you to bring your own.

john

Usual disclaimers from a man who enjoys good food.

• Like 1

With a friend I had lunch at the White Plate yesterday.

Not next to Rimping but close by, to the left and one row back if stood with your back to car park.

Clean and very friendly owner and wife.

We both had the Rib Eye Steak very nice and a good price of B300.

Started with Garlic Bread and a salad both well prepared.

We finished off with crepe and fruit salad.

A pleasant place for lunch and inexspensive.

Wine was available, and the owners are happy for you to bring your own.

john

Usual disclaimers from a man who enjoys good food.

Was with my wife and 2 girls for lunch yesterday too, having Rib Eye Steak and ice-cream for my girls, aroi mak mak as usual........guess I met u there right John?

Went there today for lunch. I really was hungry for a hamburger- but they were out of stock for the regular size and I didn't want the super 300 baht version, so I opted for a New Zealand steak sandwich.

I was really disappointed with my sandwich, the serving was so small that it was more like an appetizer portion. It wasn't one piece of meat but strips of beef- for 170 baht I had expected more...

The people were friendly and the restaurant is nicely appointed. I know that rent/overheads are expensive but I left feeling hungry, even with an added order of fries.

Any way most of the posters seem satisfied and I'm always happy to see local businesses do well.

Just my 2 satang :)