The White Plate Cafe, Chiang Mai

CMNightRider

Doubt it! As a very regular regular patron of the saloon, that guy has never ever said hello, never see him speak to anyone......very hands off low key owner......must be the mrs who wears the trousers.

I think that he is talking about the original Saloon and you are talking about the sequel. There are two of them.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went there the other day and found the place and the food pretty good. As a long time reader here of this site I finally have to put in my 2 cents about this place and in general what makes me kind of ticked off and I will make it short and right to the point thank you.

As a resident and small business partner with my better half tell me why I should not make a phone call to the appropriate authorities about this guy working behind the counter. I have understood since day one that without a work order any type of work I do at my partners business is considered against the law and puts me at risk of being shut down, finned or even being deported if they really wanted to. So the bottom line is that I do not cook, clean or do the dishes or whatever. Please tell my why I should have to compete with all these new guys showing up here and just doing whatever at there "wives" business. Please tell me why I should not pick up the phone tomorrow and start making phone calls.

Thank you.

Holy Cow--if you really exist--which I doubt since the Username indicates a 'Newbie' so I am guessing that you have created 'ThaiDan' just to Troll the Thread and Wind us all up.

Surely no one could be so unpleasant? Surely?

Folks have already replied in much more eloquent ways than I possibly could--so, I will leave it there--please don't post again.

• Like 1

Just to point out, cook, waitress and cleaner are prohibited jobs for foreigners.

You can't get a work permit to do this, no matter how many you employ.

(Celebrity chefs in the more expensive hotels work under a different WP heading)

And yet foreign chefs work all over the place just fine. Not just at the Meridien and the like, but several very long running restaurants have foreigners working in them, legally. I'm sure you don't need a list. (But it would include Riverside, Antonio's, Why Not, Chez Marco and countless others.)

So... not really sure what the point is.

Agreed. here are many Westerners with work permits working as chefs here and in average restaurants not just hotels.

Name a foreigner, working as a cook, and his place of work, and I'll ask immigration.

As he is working legally with a WP to cook, it shouldn't be a problem for anyone.

Edited by FiftyTwo

It appears that this topic, much like the Thai trains, has derailed and is now stuck in a ditch very far from where it originated.

David

Well, what do you expect on page 9 of a topic, This topic has gone much further than would be expected. But now time to //CLOSE//