The White Plate Cafe, Chiang Mai

CMNightRider

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife LOVES beef and often requests that I cook a 'real beef burger' ... not easy to do at home in CM.

A visit to Kamthieng Plant Market, just before lunchtime, offered the perfect opportunity to seek out White Plate.

Despite numerous visits to TescoLotus and KPM we never noticed JJ Market opposite the western exit - it has to be the most innocuous shopping precinct (strip mall) ever built. >>> cries out for a street-lift <<<

White Plate did not disappoint. Fabulous beef burgers par none! @150bt the mango burger was excellent value - pure beef with fresh salad ingredients and a nice sauce, lightly spiced .. not overpowering. We required no extra sauce or seasoning. Burgers were perfect!

KPM shopping trips just got more interesting ... and tastier.

IMG_7825.JPG

• Like 2

Tried this place the other day and beef burger was great. More of a gourmet burger in the quality of ingredients and attention to detail. The beef is noticeably high quality--none of the gristly bits you usually get in local beef. The burger I got was just like the photos posted: well seasoned patty, very ripe and fresh tomato and lettuce, a thick slice of cheese, peppered bacon, pickled beet, big sesame bun with a nice bite to it. It's usually a good sign when a burger doesn't need extra ketchup or other condiments, and this one definitely didn't. Fries were soft inside with a nice crust. Very tasty mustard aioli for dipping. Would definitely recommend and will be back.

For those who found they had run out... I think this post has sent a higher number of people there recently so they were probably a bit off guard. I want to try the breakfast on Sat/Sun.

Mango on a burger does not sound that appealing to me, but I was firmly against pineapple on pizzas until I actually tried it on a decent pizza and then I was hooked. This is the first time that I've wanted to try a burger place in a while. smile.png

Edited by Ulysses G.

Mango on a burger does not sound that appealing to me, but I was firmly against pineapple on pizzas until I actually tried it on a decent pizza and then I was hooked. This is the first time that I've wanted to try a burger place in a while. smile.png

I hear you :)

I was curious to try beets on a burger. Living abroad does open your mind with respect to food :)

You are right. Australians like beets on burgers and I do too, even though I was sceptical before I had it. I am willing to give mango a try.

Makes sense to me. Mango is a little sweet like ketchup. Now the beets sounds great. Fresh or pickled. Either way. I will check this place out.

Edited by DeeMockMark

You are right. Australians like beets on burgers and I do too, even though I was sceptical before I had it. I am willing to give mango a try.

Makes sense to me. Mango is a little sweet like ketchup. Now the beets sounds great. Fresh or pickled. Either way. I will check this place out.

Went there a couple of days ago with a friend. I had the mango burger and she had the Caesar salad. I too was skeptical of the beets but was pleasantly surprised. The burger, as a whole, was excellent and I loved the interplay of flavors. I also sampled the salad it it was good enough that I'll give it a full trial on my next trip there.

David

I had a mango, beet burger today. It was the best hamburger I've had since coming to SouthEast Asia and it was perfect with no other seasonings. The mango and beets really taste good with beef. I am going to have a hard time sticking to a mostly vegetarian diet now that I know it's there.

By the way, you can not see it from the street. You have to go into the main entrance where it says Jing Jai (JJ) Market, go straight to the back and turn left towards the Rimping Market. It says "Best Burgers in Chiang Mai" in front of the shop.

Kudos to CMNightRider for finding this place. thumbsup.gif

whiteplate-caesar-burger.jpg

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

It was the first time I've had beets on a burger and it made sense once I realized they were pickled beets--similar to having pickles but more cripsy which is good and the color adds a nice touch.

Arrrgh, I'm crestfallen that I've only found this thread on my last night here this time round. Hopefully the cafe will do well and maintain high standards so that I can partake on my return in May. I did pass the information along to my Kiwi hotel owner so that he and his wife can visit. Ah well....my 50/50 burger at Fat Elvis' place (50% ground beef and 50% ground bacon) was relatively satisfying.

Edited by Diplomatico

Stopped by the white plate the other day after the gym for lunch. I tried the steak sandwich with fries. I was quite please with it. The steak was cooked perfectly as were the onions. The rest of the sandwich is a good mix of veggies, Lettuce, tomato etc and the restaurants homemade sauces. I've eaten here a few times and i must say the fries here are top notch...can't think of anywhere else that even compares.

The meal in total was about 200 baht, which is a good deal for a quality sandwich. I usually go here for the burgers, but i'm glad i tried something new. The sandwich is a good choice for lunch. Just the right size so your full, but not stuffed.

IMG_4100.jpg

My girlfriend and I had lunch today at the White Plate, for the fifth time since discovering this restaurant. It was hard not ordering the mango and beet burger again, so I tried their ribeye steak dinner. This is another excellent selection. If anyone is planning on visiting this restaurant next week, they said they will be closed next week from this coming Monday until the following Monday. sad.png

• 4 weeks later...

Lunch there today for the first time.. the place was empty despite the rave reviews from posers here. The 200 grams of NZ rib eye beef, with cheddar, English bacon and fried egg was superb. The side of fries, 30 baht extra were good but very small portion. No beer sold but available at Rimping a few doors down. The burger costs 300 baht - not inexpensive but worth it if you have a craving for an amazing burger.

Lunch there today for the first time.. the place was empty despite the rave reviews from posers here. The 200 grams of NZ rib eye beef, with cheddar, English bacon and fried egg was superb. The side of fries, 30 baht extra were good but very small portion. No beer sold but available at Rimping a few doors down. The burger costs 300 baht - not inexpensive but worth it if you have a craving for an amazing burger.

I would rather have 3x upsized KFC complete meals (inc jumbo fries and jumbo pepsi).

Your 300bht was just for the burger, what was the total for 1 meal inc drinks?

• Like 1

I have not had a really good hamburger for more than 20 years, so am quite willing to pay around, 300 baht for such a filling one, but you can get smaller burger at The White Plate for around.150 baht. The problem is that it is so delicious, that you want a second one.

• Like 1

I would rather have 3x upsized KFC complete meals (inc jumbo fries and jumbo pepsi).

Without a doubt KFC is a better deal in terms of calories per baht.

There is only one burger there that is 300 baht. There are 6 more that are 140-150. Compared to any decent burger in chiang mai its the cheapest one in town. It's even a comparable price to the shit burgers around town.

Put it into US currency and it's about 5 dollars......burgers anywhere in the west are 10 upwards of 20 dollars.

There is only one burger there that is 300 baht. There are 6 more that are 140-150. Compared to any decent burger in chiang mai its the cheapest one in town. It's even a comparable price to the shit burgers around town.

Put it into US currency and it's about 5 dollars......burgers anywhere in the west are 10 upwards of 20 dollars.

On top of that, what they are selling is not just another "me too" product. They are offering a much higher quality food than what you'll get at greasy spoons and fast food joints.

Edited by AngelsLariat
  • Like 1

I'm fairly sure when I was in America, McDs burgers were 99c each.

The White Plate is not a fast food restaurant. It's a place that uses fresh, high quality ingredients and their cook knows how to cook.

Edited by AngelsLariat
  • Like 2