The White Plate Cafe, Chiang Mai

CMNightRider

So then your criticism (that it costs more than a KFC zinger) would apply to any restaurant that costs more than KFC?

Gekko lamb burger and fries for 105bht is pretty good, plenty of fries too.

Sausage King Hamburger meal at 99bht, also with plenty of fries.

Not sure I would enjoy "white plate" more than 4x either of my other named places.

Eating is all about enjoyment, at 4x the price, I want 4x the enjoyment.

Comparing these 2 is fair--but putting anything from KFC into the equation--is just plain poor taste.

• Like 1

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know why the place is for sale?? Just curious ... but I plan to stop by and try one of the mango burgers while it is still there.

Oh, I hope they are just looking for another place.

By the way, just wanted to let you know the mango burger is 150 baht and you can add a side of fries for 30. We've had it within the last couple of weeks and it was very tasty. One thing that I thought was a bit weird is that they open at 1pm. That seems kind of late for lunch to me. So check their facebook page or call them to make sure they are there. For us, we have to go a bit out of the way to eat there.

Edited by just_Elaine

hahah yes hours a bit odd but my own fault for not checking.

I went back for a repeat visit last week on a Monday closed

So waited a few days went back at noon & read the hours on the window....DOH! facepalm.gif

About the time I get it right I hope they are still there smile.png

Very tasty food though

Edited by mania

I am finally ready to give this place a go later in the week... very exciting. I want to take my GF along, but she is vegetarian which could prove challenging - is their any decent vegetarian food on the menu?

I know almost anywhere has SOMETHING vegetarian, but it can often be mediocre compared to the other offerings. It would be great if we could both enjoy a great meal.

I am finally ready to give this place a go later in the week... very exciting. I want to take my GF along, but she is vegetarian which could prove challenging - is their any decent vegetarian food on the menu?

I know almost anywhere has SOMETHING vegetarian, but it can often be mediocre compared to the other offerings. It would be great if we could both enjoy a great meal.

I tried their veggie burger. Not as good as the mango/beetroot but pretty tasty. Fries are very good.

I am not sure but also White Plate has a outside table & right across White plate is a salad place so your GF can also grab a plate from there if all else fails

I plan to try that salad place too as I never really see salad places here

I'm always deeply suspicious of 'adverts' for restaurants where they don't reveal the price of the food.

Always makes me think the owner (or owners friend) is advertising a place but fearful that their prices are scarily high.

No price, I won't be going.

PS

I don't buy unpriced items in shops or markets either, they usually have a special 'foreigner' price.

That is very telling. To be honest unless a place is inordinately cheap or very expensive, I pay absolutely no attention to the price.

If it is an issue, I simply stay home. Perhaps you should consider a similar strategy.

I'm always deeply suspicious of 'adverts' for restaurants where they don't reveal the price of the food.

Always makes me think the owner (or owners friend) is advertising a place but fearful that their prices are scarily high.

PS

I don't buy unpriced items in shops or markets either, they usually have a special 'foreigner' price.

That is very telling. To be honest unless a place is inordinately cheap or very expensive, I pay absolutely no attention to the price.

If it is an issue, I simply stay home. Perhaps you should consider a similar strategy.

I had a very nice chicken cow soi today, 60bht. and a coke 20bht.

Prices clearly shown in menu at front of the eatery.

(Ancient Thai Coffee on the left just after the top traffic lights in RatChaDamNern Road.)

Edited by FiftyTwo

PS

(Ancient Thai Coffee on the left just after the top traffic lights in RatChaDamNern Road.)

And if you walk by the White Plate Cafe, you'll find the prices clearly posted there, too. So what's your point?

PS

And if you walk by the White Plate Cafe, you'll find the prices clearly posted there, too. So what's your point?

The point is, people keep posting on TV about great places to eat, while giving no idea of the expense.

When I post about a nice place to eat, I include the price.

Then people have the full information they need to decide for themselves if it's worth a look or not.

Understand?

Afraid I don't understand. What relevance does the fact that your kao soi restaurant posts its prices on its premises have to the fact that people posting in this thread allegedly aren't posting the prices of White Plate Cafe? As far as I can see there is no relevance. Zip. Zero. Nada.

Of course a restaurant posts its prices. It's a place of business. Here we have a thread in a forum. There's a difference.

Understand?

Edited by quidnunc
  • Like 2

"Excellent and very inexpensive" . .... Is that not enough indication about prices or do you want the actual price of each item? Your obsession about prices is quite normal for a Farang living in Chiang Mai. Stay here long enough and you won't be as paranoid. Time heals.

"I had a burger there, it was only 500bht" Vs " I had an excellent and inexpensive burger there"

Do you see the difference.

By the way, I consider the KFC zinger burger (up-sized) meal at festival mall good value at 104bht (large fries, large Pepsi).

(The same meal at KFC inside Tesco opposite MeeChok Plaza is much smaller and to be avoided)

I also consider the burger meal at Sausage King (with fries) at 99bht good value for money (no drink).

I also enjoyed the lamb burger meal at Gekko for 105bht (plenty of fries, no drink).

I'm not afraid to quote the price I paid, why are they?

If you want to plug a place, why not give specific information?

What do you call someone who doesn't think about the price of anything?

I would say very rich or a fool.

Where does the 500b burger quote come from?

If you needed to know to the baht how much everything is, up to you, but for the majority of people " inexpensive" is enough, and whether a good burger is 99 baht or 104 baht is not important.

What do you call someone who is obsessive about the price of everything (to within a baht)?

Could it be a ba(h)tisa. Fidel Castro fell out with one!

• Like 1

I recall a restaurant review (was it here on tv?) that said the prices were very reasonable.

"Most of the entrees were under 1000 baht and the lunches were unbelievably cheap at 500 to 750 baht."

It's subjective.

Not about the White Plate, of course.

Edited by amexpat

Wife & I finally got there a week or so ago & it was very good indeed.

We both had the mango beet burger, Not the giant one as the price was only 150 I think ?

Anyway so very filling & delicious.

I have to admit when the subject of Beet & Mango on a burger came up here I could not imagine how it would taste

But it is very good :)

We both loved it & will definitely go back next time we need a burger.

He's i couldn't agree more. I got by there today and also had the mango and beet root burger. Fantastic! Everything was fresh and the bun was perfect size. 150 bht plus 30 for fries.......sorry Dave , dukes has just been relegated to 2 nd spot in best burger in CM category .

We both had the mango beet burger, Not the giant one as the price was only 150 I think ?

I have to admit when the subject of Beet & Mango on a burger came up here I could not imagine how it would taste

But it is very good :)

He's i couldn't agree more. I got by there today and also had the mango and beet root burger. Fantastic! Everything was fresh and the bun was perfect size. 150 bht plus 30 for fries.......sorry Dave , dukes has just been relegated to 2 nd spot in best burger in CM category .

My feeling is, why would your have to rate a burger compared to The Duke's. Great burger at The White Plate. Leave it at that. I do not know the owner of The White Plate but I think he loves/hates this thread. Suffice to say that everyone should try it. Great promotion. The Duke's is doing American Angus burgers bla...bla...bla... American Angus compared to New Zealand beef? Better try it.

But it is very good smile.png

Been meaning to try the burger there. Maybe this week...

The smoked, slow-cooked burger from 3 Little Pigs is excellent too. I like the burgers there better than the Dukes. I think the cheeseburger is about 250 Baht and comes with potato salad and I think another salad and appetizer. Don't go if you are in a hurry as it takes a good 30 minutes for the burger to cook.

But it is very good smile.png

Been meaning to try the burger there. Maybe this week...

The smoked, slow-cooked burger from 3 Little Pigs is excellent too. I like the burgers there better than the Dukes. I think the cheeseburger is about 250 Baht and comes with potato salad and I think another salad and appetizer. Don't go if you are in a hurry as it takes a good 30 minutes for the burger to cook.

Yeeees. As is his pulled pork sandwich .

I recall a restaurant review (was it here on tv?) that said the prices were very reasonable.

"Most of the entrees were under 1000 baht and the lunches were unbelievably cheap at 500 to 750 baht."

It's subjective.

Even if that's true, in that review the prices were mentioned and in this thread about the White Plate they were mentioned. Nothing is being hidden; if it's too much money if would make more sense to <deleted> than to bitch and moan about how other people spend their money.

• Like 1

It's subjective.

Even if that's true, in that review the prices were mentioned and in this thread about the White Plate they were mentioned. Nothing is being hidden; if it's too much money if would make more sense to <deleted> than to bitch and moan about how other people spend their money.

I beg to agree with the first sentence.

The point is that prices should be mentioned (as they are in this thread and that review) rather than just "reasonable" or "cheap", etc. I just meant to illustrate that people have different ideas about what those terms mean. See?

Went last night around 7 30 pm was closed does that mean the opening hours are from 1pm til 7pm that seems really good hours for thailand for the workers.

Yes that is correct 1-7 Tuesday thru Sunday & Monday closed

Agree odd hours

• 2 weeks later...

i've called on this place 4 times now including today, only to find them closed each time. today they did have a sign saying closed for an emergency - "hopefully open tomorrow" or something like that. one attempt may have been on a Monday before i read here they were closed mon. So 4 attempts to give them my business is enough for me. good luck to them.