The White Plate Cafe, Chiang Mai

CMNightRider

found it open today after a number of previous attempts. very good burger and fried potatoes. didn't need cheese, salt, sauce, anything....was perfect just as served. owner and staff were all very nice. would go again. recommended ++.

would have to agree with a previous comment. the fried potatoes have got to be the best I've ever had, anywhere, anytime. didn't even need ketchup.

Edited by Oscar2

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off topic

I went to "the Boat" in Huay Keow road today, after Canal road 100m up on the left.

Burger with bacon, egg, cheese, tomato, cucumber in a plain bun ......... 48bht.

Burger good, bacon crunchy, cheese plastic square, bun sweet bread and awful.

Just thought I would share.

Lots of Thai eye candy around us though.

"Excellent and very inexpensive" . .... Is that not enough indication about prices or do you want the actual price of each item? Your obsession about prices is quite normal for a Farang living in Chiang Mai. Stay here long enough and you won't be as paranoid. Time heals.

"I had a burger there, it was only 500bht" Vs " I had an excellent and inexpensive burger there"

Do you see the difference.

By the way, I consider the KFC zinger burger (up-sized) meal at festival mall good value at 104bht (large fries, large Pepsi).

(The same meal at KFC inside Tesco opposite MeeChok Plaza is much smaller and to be avoided)

I also consider the burger meal at Sausage King (with fries) at 99bht good value for money (no drink).

I also enjoyed the lamb burger meal at Gekko for 105bht (plenty of fries, no drink).

I'm not afraid to quote the price I paid, why are they?

If you want to plug a place, why not give specific information?

What do you call someone who doesn't think about the price of anything?

I would say very rich or a fool.

Where does the 500b burger quote come from?

If you needed to know to the baht how much everything is, up to you, but for the majority of people " inexpensive" is enough, and whether a good burger is 99 baht or 104 baht is not important.

What do you call someone who is obsessive about the price of everything (to within a baht)?

Speaking only for myself I believe the price is important. I can get a very good Burger at Gecko for around 119 baht. I can also get a very good one at Dukes for around 225 baht. To me it indicates what comes with the burger. The Gecko one is very good but it comes with nothing on it. There is lettuce, tomatoes and pickles with it and you may fix it exactly like you want it. You also put the mustard, mayo and Ketchup also on it so it is exactly like you want it.

At Dukes the Joes famous comes with every thing on it plus it is larger burger and special sauce bacon also blue cheese..

Both are excellent burgers and I enjoy them both. Just depends on the type of burger I am feeling like and the price defiantly is a good clue.

I recommend both of them.

Went there the other day and found the place and the food pretty good. As a long time reader here of this site I finally have to put in my 2 cents about this place and in general what makes me kind of ticked off and I will make it short and right to the point thank you.

As a resident and small business partner with my better half tell me why I should not make a phone call to the appropriate authorities about this guy working behind the counter. I have understood since day one that without a work order any type of work I do at my partners business is considered against the law and puts me at risk of being shut down, finned or even being deported if they really wanted to. So the bottom line is that I do not cook, clean or do the dishes or whatever. Please tell my why I should have to compete with all these new guys showing up here and just doing whatever at there "wives" business. Please tell me why I should not pick up the phone tomorrow and start making phone calls.

Thank you.

Went there the other day and found the place and the food pretty good. As a long time reader here of this site I finally have to put in my 2 cents about this place and in general what makes me kind of ticked off and I will make it short and right to the point thank you.

As a resident and small business partner with my better half tell me why I should not make a phone call to the appropriate authorities about this guy working behind the counter. I have understood since day one that without a work order any type of work I do at my partners business is considered against the law and puts me at risk of being shut down, finned or even being deported if they really wanted to. So the bottom line is that I do not cook, clean or do the dishes or whatever. Please tell my why I should have to compete with all these new guys showing up here and just doing whatever at there "wives" business. Please tell me why I should not pick up the phone tomorrow and start making phone calls.

Thanks

Id be really interested to know how you know how their business is set up and who has what work permits and who doesn't. I'm guessing you don't know any of that and are just talking out of your ass.

I believe in order for a foreigner to get a work permit there must be the owner and four other Thai employees. Possibly in these small business there is not that many people.

Thank you.

You and your wife seem unaware that you can cook, as an occupation in your business, you may have to take up an apron and start work in your own business instead of trying to put down another competitor.

If you feel inadequate in the kitchen try something else!

Instructive thread. On recently deleted threads on TV some people recounted having lost a portion of their savings to a dodgy Financial Advisory. Some of those same people are in this thread bitching & moaning about the price of a gourmet hamburger vs the price of a burger that their favorite dive. Penny wise and pound foolish?

Edited by AngelsLariat
  • Like 2

Thanks

Id be really interested to know how you know how their business is set up and who has what work permits and who doesn't. I'm guessing you don't know any of that and are just talking out of your ass.

I believe in order for a foreigner to get a work permit there must be the owner and four other Thai employees. Possibly in these small business there is not that many people.

I am not sure if this is correct or not but my accountant said 4 employees if you are not married to a thai national and only 2 if you are married to a thai national.

complaining cause his "wives" hooker bar isn't make as much money as it did a few years ago.

I don't think so as he said why should he have to compete.

So more likely a guy that also sells burgers on his menu & does not like

the recent praise of this place outshining his. ( for burgers at least wink.png )

Thanks

I am not sure if this is correct or not but my accountant said 4 employees if you are not married to a thai national and only 2 if you are married to a thai national.

Thanks for an intelligent answer.

Most of the others seem to know who the fellow is and nothing about work permit requirements. Makes me wonder about them and their sudden defense of every other business in Chiang Mai that has a Farong owner in his wife's name.

Perhaps they feel threatened by some truth in his statement. Or the fact that he is obeying the law bothers them.

Thank you.

One reason comes to mind, it would probably be a bad idea to "pick up your phone" and try to cause the White Plate, New Zealander owner any problems. About 99% of New Zealanders, enjoy eating Marmite or Vegemite for breakfast. Anyone who can eat this stuff for breakfast, is no one to mess with. Besides, he isn't doing anything illegal, and all you would accomplish by trying to rat him off, is to look foolish.

Edited by CMNightRider
  • Like 1

Wow. Another level right here. False accusations ... anyone else feel like we are in high school again? The poor owner of the White Plate. He has put his blood sweat and tears into that business and people are just trying to sabotage his good work.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Wow. Another level right here. False accusations ... anyone else feel like we are in high school again? The poor owner of the White Plate. He has put his blood sweat and tears into that business and people are just trying to sabotage his good work.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

However well intended, I'd rather not hear the expression 'blood sweat and tears' going into it when people are talking about a restaurant, it creates the wrong imagery for me! It reminds me of a wedding reception I went to on a hot summer's day in England many years ago. As you can imagine, a banquet room full of people in a room with no air-con can get a bit stifling. As the waitress was placing the soup on the table, as a way of making conversation she commented on the sticky conditions with "It's hot isn't it? The sweats just dripping off me". I skipped the soup.

Thanks

Just to point out, cook, waitress and cleaner are prohibited jobs for foreigners.

You can't get a work permit to do this, no matter how many you employ.

(Celebrity chefs in the more expensive hotels work under a different WP heading)

Just to point out, cook, waitress and cleaner are prohibited jobs for foreigners.

(Celebrity chefs in the more expensive hotels work under a different WP heading)

And yet foreign chefs work all over the place just fine. Not just at the Meridien and the like, but several very long running restaurants have foreigners working in them, legally. I'm sure you don't need a list. (But it would include Riverside, Antonio's, Why Not, Chez Marco and countless others.)

So... not really sure what the point is.

• Like 2

Thanks

I believe according to a previous poster there are different requirements for Thai wife owners husbands. that would explain a lot.

Might try the place out but it is a bit out of my way. Then again a Great Burger is always an attraction. Particularly if it is the main attraction. The potatoes did not look that appetizing to me. But the burgers looked good. Be worth seeing where they fall in my rating for burgers. As I have said in a previous thread to me not all burgers are in the same class and each class can have some excellent burgers. Even the cheap ones that I used to get at the Burger Queen where out standing for a cheap burger. I miss them.

Thanks for an intelligent answer.

Most of the others seem to know who the fellow is and nothing about work permit requirements. Makes me wonder about them and their sudden defense of every other business in Chiang Mai that has a Farong owner in his wife's name.

Perhaps they feel threatened by some truth in his statement. Or the fact that he is obeying the law bothers them.

I'm all for obeying the law and that's why I have a work permit, but I wouldn't stoop so low as to snitch on a competitor especially if I didn't have the facts. If the only way you can survive is to employ such tactics then you are ultimately doomed. Every time I've had competition come along I've seen it as a chance to review my own business and see how I can improve it. Competition is good because it forces you to improve and stops you becoming lazy. Thaidan and his no doubt long suffering wife are doomed to failure because of his lack of imagination and his negative thoughts and attitude.

With only one post to his name and no replies to his stupid post he's either slid back under his rock or busy creating a new login name.

A bar owner on Loi Kroh road used to delight in telling everyone how much money he had AND how he had been to the local government offices snitching on a guy selling cocktails on the street opposite his bar. It was a tiny fold up table with 3 or 4 stools and although this little guy was probably barely making enough money to clothe and feed himself the big fat farang cat saw him as competition. As you might expect, I stopped going to his bar.

Apologies to the op and owner of White Plate for going off on a tangent, as you might have guessed , I hate snitches.

cnx saloon?????

I believe according to a previous poster there are different requirements for Thai wife owners husbands. that would explain a lot.

There are no exceptions to prohibited jobs.

If you are doing one, you are risking arrest and deportation with no chance to appeal.

And yet foreign chefs work all over the place just fine. Not just at the Meridien and the like, but several very long running restaurants have foreigners working in them, legally. I'm sure you don't need a list. (But it would include Riverside, Antonio's, Why Not, Chez Marco and countless others.)

So... not really sure what the point is.

Agreed. here are many Westerners with work permits working as chefs here and in average restaurants not just hotels.