Cost of living for expats on the rise in Yangon

bazmlb

yangon_cost_living.jpg
Yangon has climbed to become the sixth most expensive city in the Asean bloc for expatriates to live and work, a new survey by global consulting firm, according to Myanmar Times, citing a release by the ECA International.

Singapore was the most expensive Southeast Asian city and the 30th most expensive city worldwide for international assignees to live.

The ranking was judged on the cost of living and looked at indicators like the average price of weekly groceries, basic goods like drink and general services like motoring and hospitality that reflect an “international lifestyle.”

Behind Singapore were Bangkok, Jakarta, Vientiane and Kuala Lumpur. Yangon pipped expat-populous Chiang Mai to take the spot of the sixth most expensive.

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2013-12-16

If I had to make the choice, I would rather live in Singapore than Burma ANY DAY!

If I lived in Singapore I'd die of boredom within a year, or maybe less.

Singapore has some of the most expensive booze on the planet......not a place to go for a pub crawl unless you want to drop a bundle.

Singapore is a very clean and orderly city due to a lot of draconian laws...personally I prefer a bit of freedom along with the chaos that freedom brings.

• Like 1

Great city....lets hope prices remain high to put off the TEFL gang....

I'm wondering why you would say that?

I believe he / she infers that most have come to believe those who TEFL, usual come with fake degrees, haven't

put enough time in there own countries. They appear to be rejects of thier own countries.

They generally bring down the expat image and are generally looking for away to fund thier good time.

This is just a stereo type developed over time and in my opinion is unjust.