Thai Ladyboy student activist unhappy with media calling her 'Mr'

webfact

Transgender student provocateur unhappy with media's use of 'Mr'
By Coconuts Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- Thammasat University's student activist, Sarun “Aum Neko” Chuichai, who earned attention in both Thai and international media by replacing the Thai national flag with a black flag at the university’s Rangsit campus, expressed her unhappiness on Facebook for the Bangkok Post’s decision to refer to her as "Mr. Saran.”

As an English-language publication, we might say this is a tricky subject since the English pronouns are lavishly used. Beside, we don't want our readers to get any ideas from the sexy photos of Saran that we run.

"I strongly condemn the action of Bangkok Post publication department, which intends to discriminate me as a transgender,” she wrote. “They always know and write down that Saran is the transgender. However, they try to emphasize my title name as Mr. every time they cite my name (Sarun).

I've read many articles in other publications both in English and German. They never do like this before. As much as possible, they do cite the title name just in the first time not every time or the next time they would use the personal pronoun as usual. How about Bangkok Post?"

As for names and genders, Coconuts Bangkok follows the international standards set forth by the Associated Press, which states: “Use the pronoun preferred by the individuals who have acquired the physical characteristics of the opposite sex or present themselves in a way that does not correspond with their sex at birth. If that preference is not expressed, use the pronoun consistent with the way the individuals live publicly.”

Saran supporters who joined the conversation seem to agree the subject is controversial as one commenter suggested each transgendered person has a different view about how they would want to present themselves as a woman or a proud transgender.[read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/12/16/transgender-student-provocateur-unhappy-medias-use-mr

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-12-16

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She's right, Bangkok Post dicriminate her as Transgender. And I wonder about some respectless posts here, Thailand have a lot Transgenders, make it more colorful...biggrin.png

This boy is not transgender. Transgender requires 'the operation', which presumably, as a 'ladyboy' he has not had. QED

• Like 2

abhaya, on 16 Dec 2013 - 16:14, said:

Simple good manners demand that you address someone as they ask you to.

From now on, I would like to be addressed as Prime Minister.

Please make sure my request is observed.

Would that be Mr. or Ms. in your case?

• Like 1