Phuket Police to target foreigners at night

Lite Beer

Phuket Police to target foreigners at night
Phuket Gazette -

phuketnews_20131217175345558_vxvVfGIqnVi

Phuket Provincial Police Deputy Commander Peerayuth Karachedi (right) has prepared his officers to target foreigners at night. Photo: Gazette file

PHUKET: Foreigners passing through checkpoints at night will be stopped and searched as part of a new effort to ensure the safety of people and property on Phuket, police announced today.

The police initiative is motivated by two recent ATM robberies perpetrated by foreigners and the fact that the number of foreign suspects in criminal cases sharply increased this year, said Phuket Provincial Police Deputy Commander Peerayuth Karachedi.

Officers at police stations throughout Phuket were instructed last week to begin stopping and searching foreigners at night.

“If we find any equipment that could be used in a robbery, officers will question the driver in detail,” Col Peerayuth said.

“There is no need to carry around this kind of equipment at night,” he added.

Two Vietnamese men are suspected of using a blowtorch to rob an ATM at the Boat Lagoon of 1.6 million baht on November 7. Police believe they left Thailand the following day (story here).

On December 3, a Mexican and two Colombians used a blowtorch to rob an ATM in Patong of nearly 300,000 baht. They were later apprehended in Bangkok (story here).

From January to November this year, 247 foreigners in Phuket were suspects in criminal cases, Col Peerayuth noted, while the number for 2012 was 193 and for 2011 was 194.

The breakdown for 2013 is as follows:

Working without a work permit: 67

Drugs: 55

Traffic violations: 35

Expired permit to stay: 30

Offense against property: 28

Offense against life or body: 11

Crime not stated: 11

Entered the country illegally: 10

“We have to be more strict in enforcing the law as the number of tourists and expats on Phuket is increasing every year,” said Col Peerayuth.

“We have both good and bad foreigners here, and it’s our job to try to prevent the bad ones from doing criminal acts in our country,” Col Peerayuth noted.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-Police-to-target-foreigners-at-night-23052.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-12-17

• Like 1

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the serious crime in the news in Thailand is Thai on Thai. Start with the serial rapist/killer who killed a girl named Cartoon.

Others are Thai on foreigners. Why don't they check taxi drivers for knives and bamboo poles?

Because if the farangs didn't come then there wouldn't be a problem, they are provoking and encouraging locals to act the way they are.

• Like 2

This is nothing more than legalised racism and is fundamentally wrong.

How is it racism when thai start checking e.g. vietnamese? Why do people on tv keep confusing foreigner with farang?

Sent from my D90W using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

This is nothing more than legalised racism and is fundamentally wrong.

How is it racism when thai start checking e.g. vietnamese? Why do people on tv keep confusing foreigner with farang?

Sent from my D90W using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well, at night, try to differentiate Vietnamese with Thais, sitting in car, approaching the gestapo checkpoint. They are only going for honkies!!!!

Yep it is a little like trying to differentiate between an Aussie and a Kiwi sitting in a car. I have to agree they will be targeting the round eyes easier to spot as a possible tourist or expat and not a citizen.

Well, it's official then, with these statistics, Phuket is to be renamed Pattaya 2.

I would like to personally congratulate the BiB and Phuket's influential people for their wonderful administration of the island. Job well done. Keep up the good work.

I will look forward to the racial profiling at your check points.

Just ran outta likes so....this will have to do...thumbsup.gif

Well, it's official then, with these statistics, Phuket is to be renamed Pattaya 2.

I would like to personally congratulate the BiB and Phuket's influential people for their wonderful administration of the island. Job well done. Keep up the good work.

Why Pattaya 2 ?

I have never ever been stopped and searched in Pattaya.

Maybe the "2" after "Pattaya" because Phuket has now become twice as bad as Pattaya. smile.pngsmile.png

Yes, right .... Pattaya is peaceful compared to Pattong. I stop to travel to Phuket 2 years ago.

But I understand their interest ... From locals (Taxi, jetski etc..) They collect 100-200 bht. Farangs have to pay significantly more.

Last time I was there, they let all Thais without helmet pass, they only stop the farangs.

This is how it works here... cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Money talks

Edited by andygunther