Looking For An Old Car

tigerbeer

Anyone has one of these for sale??? or know someone who has one parked at a garage ? austin mini cooper. not the new BMW ones used in Italian Job movie. looking for one without the exhorbitant prices being quoted by some car dealers here in thailand. i could buy one in malaysia pretty cheap but not gonna be able to bring it over the border and pay 300% taxes on top of what its valued at plus all the headache that comes with it. and reason for posting it in the chiang mai forum is cause i live in chiang mai. seems a lot more active here in chiang mai forum and bound to get some replies even its just pure flaming. better something than nothing.

but dear moderators, move it somewhere else should you feel otherwise.

Not too many of them around Chiangmai Tigerbeer, and the prices they are asking are somewhat high.

post-7622-1147513039_thumb.jpg

There was an excellent example up on Niemanhaeman about 500 Mtrs down on the right hand side from the Rincome. It was parked in front of some shops, and had the same colour scheme as mine above. They were asking 750K for it, but it was pristine.

Try posting this in the motoring section, or the ads section, you might get some response. Also check the used car section in the Bangkok Post.

Maejo, i envy you!. beautiful car. well 750k is just well above the market value for as pristine as it gets. most of them average around 200k to 300k. you can get non-modified running ones for 40k onwards in malaysia. too bad the importing part is almost impossible to do.

i have posted in the motoring section. rather let it be here unless the mods have it moved. chiangmai is where you find lots of classics.

My old mate DavidGTR is one of the most clued up blokes on importing motorcycle and automotive bits, he might have some suggestions.

The other possibility is to buy one, or even two in Malaysia, strip them down, and bring them in as spares. Think of the fun of building one from the ground up :D Full body job and respray, and then do the mechanicals. All boys need hobbies :o

Must say I too covet an old Cooper, or even better, a Cooper S.

Had a friend who had four of them some few years back. He was almost seven feet tall and modified them into two seaters, moving the rear bench seat a bit forward and removing the front seats completely.

Tigerbeer, I'm afraid you show your (lack of) age a bit. The Italian Job (1969) starred the Cooper S with such luminaries as Michael Caine, Benny Hill and Noel Coward in arguably the best Brit Flick of all time. The newer version is not a patch on the original.

If anybody in CM has a copy on DVD, I would love to borrow it.

I do have a copy p1p but unfortunately not here, it's OS. I have a quick trip coming up next month so will put it on my list. I also have a heap of studio footage of a lot of the stunts, as I was involved in a lot of them, and that might be of interest to you. It's still on VHS as we didn't have DVD's then :o

The one in the photo is a fully modified apendix"J" 1969 Cooper"S" 1275cc bored to 1307cc six and a half inch minilites fitted with Dunlop Zera racing tyres. Aspirated with a 43DCOE side draught that nearly sucks you out of your seat :D 649 cam 3.939:1 diff and still turns a 0-60 mph in around 6 secs

I do have a copy p1p but unfortunately not here, it's OS. I have a quick trip coming up next month so will put it on my list. I also have a heap of studio footage of a lot of the stunts, as I was involved in a lot of them, and that might be of interest to you. It's still on VHS as we didn't have DVD's then :D

Yes - I would be most interested and would certainly stand a few drinks for the privelage!

The one in the photo is a fully modified apendix"J" 1969 Cooper"S" 1275cc bored to 1307cc six and a half inch minilites fitted with Dunlop Zera racing tyres. Aspirated with a 43DCOE side draught that nearly sucks you out of your seat :D 649 cam 3.939:1 diff and still turns a 0-60 mph in around 6 secs

:D:D:D:o I really wish you hadn't posted that! I adore these cars!

( Fancy swapping for an old Willys Utility Wagon? - Mine is currently on the market as my wife is fed up with the competition :D)

146473032.jpg

:D:D:D:o I really wish you hadn't posted that! I adore these cars!

( Fancy swapping for an old Willys Utility Wagon? - Mine is currently on the market as my wife is fed up with the competition :D)

Well I certainly won't post a photo of my other Cooper "S" as I would hate to see you reduced to tears :D At this stage I just might have to pass on the Willys as it's tad on the high size. I'm one of those blokes that likes to feel the ground whistling past my bum, one of the reasons I love Karting.

While we are on the subject of Karting.......We used to have a great Karting following up here, but over the years it seems to have dropped off for one reason or another. I am currently trying to rekindle some interest, and have two of the old group interested already. If anyone has a serious interest, please PM me. It's a great day out, and wonderful excerise if done properly....MM

While we are on the subject of Karting.......We used to have a great Karting following up here, but over the years it seems to have dropped off for one reason or another. I am currently trying to rekindle some interest, and have two of the old group interested already. If anyone has a serious interest, please PM me. It's a great day out, and wonderful excerise if done properly....MM

I would be most interested, but need to lose serious amounts of weight first - and start making money again......

I would be most interested, but need to lose serious amounts of weight first - and start making money again......

OK will pencil you in as a "maybe" :D It won't happen overnight, as nothing ever does in Chiangmai, and I have some fairly serious travel commitments over the next month or so. which will give you ample time to shed those few pounds, and garner heaps of baht :o

I do have a copy p1p but unfortunately not here, it's OS. I have a quick trip coming up next month so will put it on my list. I also have a heap of studio footage of a lot of the stunts, as I was involved in a lot of them, and that might be of interest to you. It's still on VHS as we didn't have DVD's then :o

Yes - I would be most interested and would certainly stand a few drinks for the privelage!

If it is not a presumptuous suggestion it sounds like an ideal excuse for a get together to see this excellent film and sink a few.

If it is not a presumptuous suggestion it sounds like an ideal excuse for a get together to see this excellent film and sink a few.

Certainly not, and a great idea! However, as I mentioned, I will be OS next month, and will bring them back with me. Perhaps an out of the way bar with a DVD player and a large screen might be appropriate?

A classics night could become a regular feature :o

The one in the photo is a fully modified apendix"J" 1969 Cooper"S" 1275cc bored to 1307cc six and a half inch minilites fitted with Dunlop Zera racing tyres. Aspirated with a 43DCOE side draught that nearly sucks you out of your seat :o 649 cam 3.939:1 diff and still turns a 0-60 mph in around 6 secs

MM, u got me drooling for one of these already!. not fair dude. now u really have to help me find a mini. please no need the "S". and about the go kart, please count me in should you guys form a group. some weight losing might help while looking forward to it.

P1p, well about the age thing, i could have been more interested in watching soaps then :D. or japanese, chinese, indian movies?

MM, u got me drooling for one of these already!. not fair dude. now u really have to help me find a mini. please no need the "S". and about the go kart, please count me in should you guys form a group. some weight losing might help while looking forward to it.

No promises TB but I will certainly keep my eyes open for you (and for me :o ) I'm off on a road trip in the morning...Phitsanilok/Khon Kaen/Udon/Nong Khai/Korat/Bangkok/Nakon Sawan/Sukhothai/Chiangmai and will be looking all the way for anything interesting. I'll report in from Khon Kaen in a couple of days.

If there is any interest in building one, I have friend who has a great body shop and spraying facilities, also mechanics. I would also suggest one prior to Hydro-elastic supension, as they are a maintainence headache. I also have a workshop manual in my head having built and raced so many of them over the years. It would be a lovely project to get off the ground here, and not real difficult. Anyway that's down the track aways........

• 2 months later...
Are you still interested in one TB? I have found a very nice one if you still are :o

MM i sure am. but really depends on how much $$$$. kinda stuck into our new house till we get it rented out at least. soooo let me hear it.......... what kind of money we looking at?

You really need to get your priorities in order.... "kinda stuck into our new house" what sort of talk is that for a mini maniac?

To be truthful I have no idea at present of the cost. I was out walking today (Yeah I do that occasionally) and saw it parked in a town house just round the corner. Red MKII with a white roof and mag wheels. Under the layers of dust the body looked in excellent nick. The registration indicated it expired in 2548 and the plates read Lamphun.

I asked the guy next door if they were looking to sell it, and he though they were, so that was good. All I have to do now is catch them at home.

I will keep you posted on my progress of catching the owners at home...MM

Edited by Maejo Man

You really need to get your priorities in order.... "kinda stuck into our new house" what sort of talk is that for a mini maniac?

To be truthful I have no idea at present of the cost. I was out walking today (Yeah I do that occasionally) and saw it parked in a town house just round the corner. Red MKII with a white roof and mag wheels. Under the layers of dust the body looked in excellent nick. The registration indicated it expired in 2548 and the plates read Lamphun.

I asked the guy next door if they were looking to sell it, and he though they were, so that was good. All I have to do now is catch them at home.

I will keep you posted on my progress of catching the owners at home...MM

MM woooooo hoooooooo .. sounds awesome. well you know when you have a missus who cannot comprehend "why would anyone invest in an old car", it makes it an extremely difficult task to deal with. yup its sad ! yes yes please keep me posted on how much. i swear the prices have risen double just the past two years. wish i could import one from malaysia. THB60,000 can be an enough budget to get started off.

There's usually a mini parked up in the Warrot market area. I'm not in town at present but it has been there for at least a couple of years and I do occasionally see it on the road. It looks in good nick from a distance but never checked it out. If anyone is intrested I'll give directions.

I'm on for karting, and would like to build my own for a project.

Then a new truck to haul it around, and the spiral begins anew.

Just had a PM from another interested member, so am making a short list of prospective karters, it's fun to watch even if you don't drive, and a great day out.

If you are looking at a kart Hog Head, I have a brand new set of imported spun aluminium racing wheels fitted with new rubber up for grabs. All you need is a frame and an engine!

Edited by Maejo Man

I'm on for karting, and would like to build my own for a project.

Then a new truck to haul it around, and the spiral begins anew.

Just had a PM from another interested member, so am making a short list of prospective karters, it's fun to watch even if you don't drive, and a great day out.

If you are looking at a kart Hog Head, I have a brand new set of imported spun aluminium racing wheels fitted with new rubber up for grabs. All you need is a frame and an engine!

Count me in ,initially as a spectator, I dont know if my back would survive driving one, but sure I'll come and give some "Verbal" support why not :o

Count me in ,initially as a spectator, I dont know if my back would survive driving one, but sure I'll come and give some "Verbal" support why not :D

Probably not TP as the "G Force" is incredible when racing. Five broken ribs over the years bear testament to this :o A very gentle pedal might not go amiss though :D You're on the list!

As soon as I get the decks cleared, I will go down to the track and try to negotiate a TV rate for us, and give everybody plenty of notice...MM

Count me in ,initially as a spectator, I dont know if my back would survive driving one, but sure I'll come and give some "Verbal" support why not :D

Probably not TP as the "G Force" is incredible when racing. Five broken ribs over the years bear testament to this :o A very gentle pedal might not go amiss though :D You're on the list!

As soon as I get the decks cleared, I will go down to the track and try to negotiate a TV rate for us, and give everybody plenty of notice...MM

I've got 3 cracked ribs now MM :D so I ceratily don't want any more...so I will just CHEER :D and laugh :D