Fedora 20 Finally Available

Richard-BKK

Good to know, hope the upgrade works better than with Ubuntu

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I recommend that you not upgrade online at the moment, everybody is trying to download the latest release of Fedora and the servers are probably already very busy.... Also the reason why I give the torrents files (which are 100% legal)

I've never understood the lure of fedora - my first distro was redhat (back in 99, I think) and when redhat went commercial a few years later I tried to work with fedora but found it clunky and difficult. Once I discovered Debian I immediately loved its simplicity, it just worked. Granted it has never been cutting edge, but it has always done just what I want it to do and nothing more. I've tried testing fedora again a few times over the last few years and got frustrated, do they yet have a minimal install available that you can build on from scratch? How can you use a distro for a server when it installs a full GUI with desktop apps by default? Maybe things have changed since I last tried and I should give it a go, but I would hope you fedora lovers can convince me why I should :) since I'm starting a new distrohopper blog I should try to be more open-minded

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus SlimKat using Tapatalk

Good to know, hope the upgrade works better than with Ubuntu

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I recommend that you not upgrade online at the moment, everybody is trying to download the latest release of Fedora and the servers are probably already very busy.... Also the reason why I give the torrents files (which are 100% legal)

And that is exactly why I love arch so much, over 5 years and never an upgrade. Rolling release is the way to go! The change from rc.d to systemd was difficult at times, but never anything like having to do a full upgrade every year!

hmmm, just tried downloading the LXDE spin and the live cd from the official site, all 404 errors. tried your links to the live cd (torrent based) and it seems to be working, but the install dvd in your links is also a 404. do they have a mirror here in thailand?

<edit> ok, i finally found a mirror list which has sources from AU, TW and other semi-local sources, but none of them seem to have anything more current than 19. this just reaffirms my issues with fedora since its birth, why is it so hard to find what you want?

Edited by dharmabm

ok, finally found (by accident) a local thai mirror that actually has a minimal install ISO as well as the liveCD, but it is version 16. why is it so hard to find install media for such a popular distro? that is a good part of the reason i have never given fedora much attention, it should not be so difficult to find what you want (or need)

ok, finally found (by accident) a local thai mirror that actually has a minimal install ISO as well as the liveCD, but it is version 16. why is it so hard to find install media for such a popular distro? that is a good part of the reason i have never given fedora much attention, it should not be so difficult to find what you want (or need)

Browse around here http://distrowatch.com/ Has completely every distro that is out.

I was a great fan of Fedora Core back when Red Hat conceived it. Bleeding Edge and all that ... but quickly that Bleeding Edge has become Bloody Nuisance when things just got broke in one release to be fixed in the next and to be broken again in the following. And a six months major release cycle is hardly more than a technology preview. F18 was the last release I tried. Needed a LiveCD with pretty recent libraries and utilities, but after booting to the desktop and finding it possibly even worse than Windows8, I just gave up and compiled my own. I am still a great fan of Red Hat/CentOS which I run at work. CentOS Kali and SLAX at home.

Thanks for the distrowatch link.... I lost it but now it's foundsmile.png

well, i finally found a working mirror and grabbed a copy of the v20 netinstall, something still seems to be broken with the regular downloads (at least for me). so far pretty impressed with the installer, i always like to use a minimal install and build just what i want so this fits the bill for that. i'll give it a good try and do a review when i have the time

Ok, made the upgrade this morning and everything seemed to have worked. My first major Linux operation without Phil Connors holding my hand, I can say with certain pride...

Nothing much seemed to change, except for some squeaking sounds that were not there yesterday.

Not fixed is a potential graphics driver problem, the start button on the lower left corner doesn't display and some other funny graphic hiccups here and there.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ok, made the upgrade this morning and everything seemed to have worked. My first major Linux operation without Phil Connors holding my hand, I can say with certain pride... Nothing much seemed to change, except for some squeaking sounds that were not there yesterday. Not fixed is a potential graphics driver problem, the start button on the lower left corner doesn't display and some other funny graphic hiccups here and there. Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You did better than me. I tried to update my F19 according to their instructions (the automatic route, lazy as I am). It completed without any errors or messages, but was hosed when it came back up after reboot. Fortunately it is so easy to reinstall Linux from scratch, and it's actually not to bad to start over from time to time - I tend to accumulate a lot of junk in the course of testing stuff.

dharmabm has a very good point, Arch Linux is probably the supreme distro, it does however require considerable Linux experience. There are no hand-holding, no wizards, no easy way to install things, everything has do be done "by hand", not recommendable for newbies or lazy people (like me) who prefer just doing a "yum install" of things.

As for your graphics driver problem, if there is a driver for your graphics controller Fedora ought to have found it automatically - and you said the screen worked fine with Ubuntu? If your sure you just didn't notice the problem, there must be a driver available, so I guess Google is your friend ....

And I thought yum is doing stuff by hand...

I actually had two errors, one of them was dropbox. It works fine,, though.

Again, I didn't notice any difference between f19 and f20 other than having another version to choose from when booting.

Graphics problem : has to do with the second screen. When I plug in a second monitor the problem occurs. No problem when it's not plugged in. Memory issue?

Been up and down the internet for a solution, couldn't find one that I was able to understand. I also can make only an educated guess which graphics card I have as this acer model was shipped with different ones.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No quite definitely a graphics driver problem of sorts. The command 'dmesg' outputs, among a lot of other things, information about your hardware. It should tell you somewhere what graphics cards is detected. You may want to pipe it through less ('dmesg | less') or into a file that you can then check with an editor ('dmesg > dmesg.txt')

The command lspci -v should also give you detailed output about your hardware and what drivers are in use (you should run as root to get all info, with sudo if installed). You may have an option to use proprietary drivers depending on your video card which could resolve that problem, if you post the output of 'sudo lspci -v | grep VGA' we may be able to help further.

Edited by dharmabm
  • Like 1

ahaaa...thanks a lot! Where can I actually look up all those commands? I still remember some from my DOS days, but this is a LOOOONG time ago (showing age here....)

anyways, here we go:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 18) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108M [GeForce GT 420M] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

so it is a GF GT 420M

A bit of navigating on the GeForce website brings me to a driver download. I receive a .run file that opens in Libre Office.

What now??

I would not recommend to install the graphic card drivers from the www.nvidia.com if you a beginner Linux user. The easiest part is to install the Nvidia drivers from www.rpmfusion.org

First you need to download two files:

file 1 - http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-20.noarch.rpm

file 2 - http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-20.noarch.rpm

After you downloaded this two files you need to open your file manager, go to the location where you downloaded the files. Click on the first file with the right mouse button and select "Open with Software Install", after a few seconds your system will ask for the root password and will start installing... The second file will take a bit longer before you see the pop-up window for root password, just relax...

Option two is to do everything automatic by copy this

yum --nogpgcheck install http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noarch.rpm http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-stable.noarch.rpm

into terminal with your right mouse button (control+V doesn't work).

After you have installed this two new repo's you can run

"yum update" as root or sudo (if you have sudo set-up)

After you updated the software package database you can install the driver by this command "yum install akmod-nvidia xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.i686"

If you use Fedora 20 x86_64 it's adviced that you install the "xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.i686" driver anyway, still a lot of packages depend on the 32-bits graphics driver, the 64-bits graphics driver gets installed automatically...

Edited by Richard-BKK

thanks lot, done option one and it worked flawless. Unfortunately to no avail, the display problems persist. I suspect this is indeed down to memory issues as only when the second screen is plugged in I have the problem.

• 4 weeks later...