Why Do They Call Our Sweet Little Half Brown babies "Lhuk Krueng"?

sirchai

Hoven, on 18 Dec 2013 - 19:23, said:

Half Fhilang kids look cute, even more so in the eyes of a Thai.

It means half-child, the same as half-caste in the UK means half white half black, and Eurasian half white half Asian.

Which half is black and which one white? the top or the bottom?

Well if male, they probably hope the bottom half is the black half.

Having lived in Thailand since 1974 and in Ubon since 1994, I have no problems with "Luk Krueng" or "Farang".

But what I really do not like is when we "farang" are referred to as "it". Like as in "See the farang. It is crossing the road". I have discussed this in length with Thai academics and most of them say that is the way the Thai language is used. No offence is intended. But when I reply saying " See that Thai person. It is crossing the road" they are offended.

Yes, this is the truth about how Thais really view us Fillaang.

Where's Naam? Fillang must be number 17 biggrin.png

i use only genuine spellings not made-up ones.

I don't even find farang negative. Where I live in Isaan you're just as likely to be called the Lao word, Baksida

I agree with Sly that "farlang" isn't a bad word at all. What somebody else had written doesn't sound correct to me "Chauthangchat'??

A foreigner in Thai is usually a Khun Thang Chaat, being very polite. If people here call you Baksida, then they don't really like you.

I live in the Isaan for 11 years. Baksida should never be used for a foreigner, as it;s clear that it's a fruit, while farlang ( which is the same fruit a guava) is ok to me.

If somebody calls you Baksida, it's similar to asshol_e in Western countries.If somebody calls me Baksida, I just ask them if I look like a fruit to them and they usually never do that again. At least it works for me.

I'd think it's also the tone that makes the music.Considering that Miss Thailand is also a Lhuk Krueng, can't be that bad, or? I meant the one with the German daddy.

Thais just use farlang, as we're using the word foreigner. The first seen here were French and the German word for this country is Frankreich.

Most French people came from a place in so called Franconia, which is a part of Bavaria now.

Would Thais really say Khun Thang Chaat, instead of farlang, while we all try to be as short as possible as well? -wai2.gif

Most French people came from a place in so called Franconia, which is a part of Bavaria now.

please Sir have mercy! another one like this and i might have a heart attack w00t.gif

Having lived in Thailand since 1974 and in Ubon since 1994, I have no problems with "Luk Krueng" or "Farang".

But what I really do not like is when we "farang" are referred to as "it". Like as in "See the farang. It is crossing the road". I have discussed this in length with Thai academics and most of them say that is the way the Thai language is used. No offence is intended. But when I reply saying " See that Thai person. It is crossing the road" they are offended.

Yes, this is the truth about how Thais really view us Fillaang.

Where's Naam? Fillang must be number 17 biggrin.png

i use only genuine spellings not made-up ones.

i am waiting for the crown jewel in my collection... "furuncle" crazy.gif

I' m surprised about the question from you Sirchai . So much I know you are living here for more than 10 years and never asked. You been teaching for many years in Thailand and never asked. What happened that you want to Know now ? Why all your misspellings as an Englishteacher you shouldt now it better.

My wife explains to me that Luk Krueng means half Thai, half something else.

It does not have the more or less negative intention of the word farang.

The equivalent in feelings for the farang word to bring it out of the negative and bring it on the same level as Luk Krueng would be the word Chautangchaat.

You might say foreigner.

Even half Thai half Chinese are called Luk Krueng, so you might say us Chautangchaat are in elevated (?) company.

If a Thai call me farang I try to explain am not a farang, which means "Frank", but a chautangchaat.

Many times I see shame in the eyes of the farang caller.,

And many times a wai will be the answer.

A strange thing about the wife, she can always, I mean always, discern between Thai people and other Asians.

Vietnam people, Birma, Khmer, Indonesian, whatever, she sees it.

But with Lao people she makes mistakes, which is understandable.

Strange thing, when we are in Holland, many Indo's. the former Indonesian people, fully Asian and mixed, always start to talk in Malay to my wife.

Agreed, she looks more Asian as Sino Tai.

Luk Krueng, many parents whose children are married to westerners are absolutely bananas about grandchildren that are luk krueng.

The neighbours are mostly very jealous.

Luk Krueng?

Positive!

Farang?

Negative!!!!!

Chautangchaat?

Positive!!!!!!

Chautangchaat, interesting. I have never heard this before.

In Thai it is like this ชาวต่างชาติ right?

I have to remember that one.

But i am still a bit confused with the exact difference between chautangchaat and farang. Can you explain more please?

ชาวต่างชาติ is everybody that's not Thai and the rest of us white skinned are falang.

As a quick note.

Normally the use of Thai script in posts isn't allowed outside the Thai language forum.

As this topic is specifically related to the use/meaning of some Thai words, I haven't taken any steps to remove Thai language posts etc.

However, if you feel the need to use Thai script, please also put an English phonetic in brackets next to it (Or put the Thai in brackets next to the phonetic). As most of the forum members can't read Thai, so posts with Thai script exclude them from understanding what you're saying.

• Like 1

The equivalent in feelings for the farang word to bring it out of the negative and bring it on the same level as Luk Krueng would be the word Chautangchaat.

You might say foreigner.

Even half Thai half Chinese are called Luk Krueng, so you might say us Chautangchaat are in elevated (?) company.

If a Thai call me farang I try to explain am not a farang, which means "Frank", but a chautangchaat.

A strange thing about the wife, she can always, I mean always, discern between Thai people and other Asians.

Strange thing, when we are in Holland, many Indo's. the former Indonesian people, fully Asian and mixed, always start to talk in Malay to my wife.

Luk Krueng, many parents whose children are married to westerners are absolutely bananas about grandchildren that are luk krueng.

Luk Krueng?

Positive!

Farang?

Negative!!!!!

Chautangchaat?

Positive!!!!!!

But i am still a bit confused with the exact difference between chautangchaat and farang. Can you explain more please?

Chautangchaat is the general word, the wife tells me, for someone from outside Thailand, more or less equivalent to "foreigner".

The word farang comes from the the arab word ferenghi, which means Frank, as in the Franks.

That name, and very negative it was, was given to the crusaders by the hired islamic commanders of the anti-crusader forces in the, as the Christians called it, Holy Land.

And which word remained in use throughout Asia, but always with a slightly or very negative meaning for Caucasian people.

That is why I do not react to the word if a Thai talks to me and calls me like: "Hey farang!"

Or, if I am in a good mood, I explain to them I am not farang, and I feel this is a bad word for me, he calls me names.

I may be called, Chautangchaat, or Mister, or Sir, or whatever Thai equivalent, but not farang,

Strange thing, it is always accepted...............

But Luk Krueng is definitely NOT negative, mostly, if used for the mix Thai-white

More likely expresses a background of jealousy, if used for children formerly known as an Eurasian.

Luk Krueng used for non-Eurasians more or less expresses a slight disdain, like not 100% Thai.

Mind, the "tone" makes the music, the way the word is said defines the intention of the speaker.

A sad example one can see in some foster homes in Thailand.

100% Thai children, hardly any "Eurasian", but many Thai-black mixed children.

Very, very sad.

It shows very much how the Thai people are infatuated with skin colour.

And you know something, hiso's deny categorically that this is the case, they express the idea that this is typical farang talk.

Had some interesting discussions about this.

Edited by hansnl

Hoven, on 18 Dec 2013 - 19:23, said:

Half Fhilang kids look cute, even more so in the eyes of a Thai.

It means half-child, the same as half-caste in the UK means half white half black, and Eurasian half white half Asian.

Which half is black and which one white? the top or the bottom?

Guess it depends on if they're standing, or upside down.-coffee1.gif

You might say foreigner.

Luk Krueng?

Positive!

Farang?

Negative!!!!!

Chautangchaat?

Positive!!!!!!

Chautangchaat is the general word, the wife tells me, for someone from outside Thailand, more or less equivalent to "foreigner".

The word farang comes from the the arab word ferenghi, which means Frank, as in the Franks.

That name, and very negative it was, was given to the crusaders by the hired islamic commanders of the anti-crusader forces in the, as the Christians called it, Holy Land.

And which word remained in use throughout Asia, but always with a slightly or very negative meaning for Caucasian people.

That is why I do not react to the word if a Thai talks to me and calls me like: "Hey farang!"

Or, if I am in a good mood, I explain to them I am not farang, and I feel this is a bad word for me, he calls me names.

I may be called, Chautangchaat, or Mister, or Sir, or whatever Thai equivalent, but not farang,

But Luk Krueng is definitely NOT negative, mostly, if used for the mix Thai-white

More likely expresses a background of jealousy, if used for children formerly known as an Eurasian.

Luk Krueng used for non-Eurasians more or less expresses a slight disdain, like not 100% Thai.

Mind, the "tone" makes the music, the way the word is said defines the intention of the speaker.

Very, very sad.

And you know something, hiso's deny categorically that this is the case, they express the idea that this is typical farang talk.

Chautangchaat is the so called high Thai. Khontangchat the usual one for a foreigner. There's nothing wrong with "farlang" as most Isanjeros don't know it better.

How many Thais would know what a "crusader" or "Anti-crusader" is? Including teachers who know all about nothing.

Would it be okay when they call you Sir Farlang, or Mr. Farlang?-coffee1.gif

Edited by sirchai

Chautangchaat is the so called high Thai. Khontangchat the usual one for a foreigner. There's nothing wrong with "farlang" as most Isanjeros don't know it better.

How many Thais would know what a "crusader" or "Anti-crusader" is? Including teachers who know all about nothing.

You call yourself for 'sirchai', so it must be OK! wai2.gif
----------

What would be a nice gift for her, that would be affordable living on a tiny salary?

Find a job with better salary as you as it seems you know everything!!! clap2.gif

• Like 1

You might say foreigner.

Luk Krueng?

Positive!

Farang?

Negative!!!!!

Chautangchaat?

Positive!!!!!!

Very, very sad.

A feasible explanation but, as I have said in a previous post, further research reveals some other plausible explanations.

Either way, the malice and negativity has dwindled over time. In my experience it is those "farang" that cannot speak Thai that have the problems with this word. I, for one, have never come across a Thai person who has used the word in a negative manner.

Reference towards skin colour is also hypocritical of your opening comment. If, and I agree that some Thais do discriminate by skin colour, your comments are true of the situation then surely the white "farang" would be the one welcomed with open arms and not the ones being ridiculed with the "F" word????????

As foreigners we are always going to be outsiders, to a certain extent. I do believe, however, that the degree of that extent is up to the individual. If, like I do, you integrate with the local community then the extent will be minimal. If, however, you are one of the people who like to build a big wall around your house, with locked gates and a "keep out" sign, then the extent will be greater.

You call yourself for 'sirchai', so it must be OK! wai2.gif

----------

What would be a nice gift for her, that would be affordable living on a tiny salary?

Find a job with better salary as you as it seems you know everything!!! clap2.gif

I'd like to apologize, as I know that I know nothing.-coffee1.gif

I don't class my self as an expert in thai, but i know a fair amount. ฝรั่ง (farang) and บักสีดา (bak see da) both mean guava, just farang is thai and bak see da is the isaan dialect.

You will here the word bak see da only from people who were brought up in either isaan or laos. Again both words don't mean to cause offence, unless used in an offensive context. Just make sure you understand the language enough before confronting them when they hadn't even said anything wrong.

• Like 2

I don't even find farang negative. Where I live in Isaan you're just as likely to be called the Lao word, Baksida

I agree with Sly that "farlang" isn't a bad word at all. What somebody else had written doesn't sound correct to me "Chauthangchat'??

A foreigner in Thai is usually a Khun Thang Chaat, being very polite. If people here call you Baksida, then they don't really like you.

I live in the Isaan for 11 years. Baksida should never be used for a foreigner, as it;s clear that it's a fruit, while farlang ( which is the same fruit a guava) is ok to me.

If somebody calls you Baksida, it's similar to asshol_e in Western countries.If somebody calls me Baksida, I just ask them if I look like a fruit to them and they usually never do that again. At least it works for me.

I'd think it's also the tone that makes the music.Considering that Miss Thailand is also a Lhuk Krueng, can't be that bad, or? I meant the one with the German daddy.

Thais just use farlang, as we're using the word foreigner. The first seen here were French and the German word for this country is Frankreich.

Would Thais really say Khun Thang Chaat, instead of farlang, while we all try to be as short as possible as well? -wai2.gif

please Sir have mercy! another one like this and i might have a heart attack w00t.gif

Please take a look: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franks bah.gif