Kayaking in Chiang Rai

erg

As most of the readers of this forum know, I am a fanatic sports man, (biking, Bowling etc. etc.)

So now that we introduced Biking and Bowling in Chiang Rai i think that my team and i are ready for a new challenge.

Yes dear forum reader, we will paddle the Kayak, we start in Chiang Rai in the Nam Mae Kok, wich will bring us to Chiang Sean, were we float into the Nam Mae Khong, also know as Mekong, from were we will float to Chiang Khong.

This trip is going to take two to tree days, so bring clean underwaer.

(Anybody know were to buy or rent the so called SEAKAYAK, this is a kayak were you sit on, instead of in.) :o

As most of the readers of this forum know, I am a fanatic sports man, (biking, Bowling etc. etc.)

So now that we introduced Biking and Bowling in Chiang Rai i think that my team and i are ready for a new challenge.

Yes dear forum reader, we will paddle the Kayak, we start in Chiang Rai in the Nam Mae Kok, wich will bring us to Chiang Sean, were we float into the Nam Mae Khong, also know as Mekong, from were we will float to Chiang Khong.

(Anybody know were to buy or rent the so called SEAKAYAK, this is a kayak were you sit on, instead of in.) :o

They rent/ sell them down in Krabi. Go down and bring some up for us. :D

• 3 weeks later...

i want to do same, also tha ton to chaingrai and mae nam loa from mae saui ( on road to chaing mai) to mae nam kok below dam so try these.

you can hire sit on 2 or three man kayak's at lek house guest house in chaing rai sbout 500b day.

i did long tail to tha ton and you can hire sit in 1 or 2 man kayak on south side of jetty .

also was told you can buy kayak's in chaing mai on road to bus station in a small sports shop or camping shop,ilooked but could not find.

feel free kayak's.com sell thai kayaks.

good traveling . :D

erg,sounds interesting.

has anybody read slithering south by steve van beek.true acount of a guy who builds himself a small wooden kayak & travels from very northern thailand to the mouth of the chao prae,or the sea.

i am a complete slob now,but cycle toured parts of se asia a few years back.

Thank you SOOO much macka. :D

I guess it is more than twelve years ago that four Chiang Rai expats went by pick-up to the elephant village Ban Ruammit (American Jay was one of them and Cathouse-M might have been one of the others). There they each 'boarded' a big lorry tube.

By ropes they were all connected to the fifth tube which kept the (mainly alcoholic) refreshments floating.

It took longer than expected, but the current of the river Kok brought them finally to Pattaya noi where they happily but stiff as a wooden shelf went ashore.

Limbo :o

• 1 month later...
i want to do same, also tha ton to chaingrai and mae nam loa from mae saui ( on road to chaing mai) to mae nam kok below dam so try these.

you can hire sit on 2 or three man kayak's at lek house guest house in chaing rai sbout 500b day.

At the moment the Lek House (at Pratu Chiang Mai) has two three seaters for rent.

They are flat, wide, very stable and can be handled easy by one person as well.

The Lek House charges 1000 Baht a piece for one day, included the transport of kayaks and freshwater-sailors to a place not far from Tha Torn and back from the Mae Fah Luang bridge close to the Rimkok Hotel.

The trip Tha Torn to Chiang Rai takes (now, during the rainy season) about six hours if you just go with the current.

The most beautiful part is from the starting point to the elephant village Ban Ruammit. The river is streaming through fantastic nature there, partly forest.

The Lek House ordered three one-person kayaks as well, but they are not sure when they will be delivered.

It seems to be a great happening, according to two fellow expats who recently did it.

Limbo :o

Edited by Limbo

In the Rai: i guess you went out for a couple again, and therefour missed our trip.

We (bo,s proffesional Kayak buddies) kayak most of our free time, that is when we are not Bowling, or biking off course.

Please guys pay attention, this looks so unprofesional :o

In the Rai: i guess you went out for a couple again, and therefour missed our trip.

We (bo,s proffesional Kayak buddies) kayak most of our free time, that is when we are not Bowling, or biking off course.

Erg

Bo's professional Kayak buddies,

It sounds very serious, Is it an elite club that is hard to get into or are you welcoming others to join.

Please let me know if you are planning another trip and are welcoming others to participate.

I am sorry I must have missed the part in this subject that stated a time and place.

Look forward to hearing from you Erg..

So mr Erg, is this a "One time event!" or is this something you are planning to do more regulary like one time a year or something?

If you plan to do it one more time, then I want to make a reservation for Jim and me!! Please mr Erg! I buy you a Coke next time I see you!

I can confirm that Erq did go on this trip down the river because,as I was driving over the Mae Fah Luang bridge the other day I saw some rather large objects flowing under the bridge. It was majestic to watch as they undulated and used the currents with such ease and skill. I was sure one of them was Erq. Although disguised as bowling balls. They did look a funny colour. And they had definitely came all the way from the elephant camp. They must have been exhausted. That is some journey.

Well done the BPKB`s. Pioneers elite for sure. :D

guys guys guys......calm down, calm down please, as you know easy does it.

I wouldt love to invite you guys on our next trip, the thing is at the moment there are only two Kayaks availeble at Lek house.

So if you can manage some more Kayaks i will be happy to introduce you amatures into the profesional skills of Kayaking, dont worry about beeing less skilled as we are, also we started one day as amatures.

And yes Mr. Chang 35 bath, we have to disguise ourself due to our popularity in the International Bowling legue.

Its not nice and definitly lonely at the top. :o

I, too would like to know the joy of kayaking.

Is there any kind of club or group?

A web site run by a local?

To be invited on a trip is a bit intimidating for one of my girth.

Perhaps some visit to a place that sells them or a little group meeting

planned at some public place (which I can provide for free) would helpful

for some of us curious about the sport but afraid of getting involved over our heads

and drowning upside down or stuck in the boat being eaten by crocodiles and

other things; both adept at swimming and possessing big teeth.

guys guys guys......calm down, calm down please, as you know easy does it.

I wouldt love to invite you guys on our next trip, the thing is at the moment there are only two Kayaks availeble at Lek house.

So if you can manage some more Kayaks i will be happy to introduce you amatures into the profesional skills of Kayaking, dont worry about beeing less skilled as we are, also we started one day as amatures.

And yes Mr. Chang 35 bath, we have to disguise ourself due to our popularity in the International Bowling legue.

Its not nice and definitly lonely at the top. :o

interesting ,

so mr Erg , we all put our faith in you when you train us the kayaking skills

does it help under water when you have an empty head ?

i am not only worried about alligators and snakes but last time coming from Tha Ton in the longtail boat we had a near frontal miss with an empty racing longtail on a narrow part in a sharp corner , halfway to the elefant camp

so i guess the fluo bowling disguise is also for safety

a ' strong ' coke , suits you maybe better , being so lonely , i am surprised about this

greetz ,

flup

ps : how is junior ?

thks Flupke, i do not know how junior is at the moment, as she is not born yet.

To mrOzark, everybody is wecome, we dont like clubs so who wants to kayak, just kayak, if someone like to kayak with us, the problem is the amounth of kayaks, otherwise just contact me, i guess most of you know where i am.

I will have a talk at lekhouse about more kayaks.

thanks