Eating Rabbit In Isaan?

Carmine6

Just a little brainstorming on my part.

My girlfriend has promised to buy some rabbits for her little brother and two cousins when we go up there to visit. Half jokingly I asked her if we should get several extra and then they could raise some to eat later on. She says that rabbits are too cute so people wouldn't eat them. But people do eat the wild ones in the forest. When the family's house was being built last year some of the workers ate her little brother's pet turtle for lunch. So the question isn't whether her family would eat them, but if someone would eat them.

I think that once the novelty wore off, and if they had a lot of them, they'd just be another farm animal. My mom grew up in Hawaii and along with pigs and chickens, they used to eat some rabbits they raised. I also think that if bird flu got to be a big deal, then it'd be a nice alternative.

Anyone have experience with people eating rabbit in Isaan? Any opinions?

good idea,nothing wrong with a feed of bunny,i used to love trapping and shooting rabbits(australia).wrap some fatty bacon around him and roast,or cook a stew with all the veges tossed in together,good tucker.i just asked the misses about rabbits in khon kaen,and she said they were everywere years ago,before they cleared all the bush away.there all gone now because people eat to mut.if i was to breed rabbits in the village i would stear clear of the white ones,get some brown ones and the issan people will eat em up.

from my experience with thai workers here they dont eat home raised rabbits (coloureful angoras etc) ; i've offerred time and time again all the extra large males from my herd (petting zoo)free of charge since i cull them and the russians and french love them; issaan guys say they like wild rabbit (the illegal to be hunted, protected kind we have here).... the home kinds arent tasty... but it could be individual.... they've raised several babies for the fun of it cause they're 'na rak'... although they did eat their pet cat (one of the guys is a main time hunter and ate it but many others refused)

Edited by bina

from my experience with thai workers here they dont eat home raised rabbits (coloureful angoras etc) ; i've offerred time and time again all the extra large males from my herd (petting zoo)free of charge since i cull them and the russians and french love them; issaan guys say they like wild rabbit (the illegal to be hunted, protected kind we have here).... the home kinds arent tasty... but it could be individual.... they've raised several babies for the fun of it cause they're 'na rak'... although they did eat their pet cat (one of the guys is a main time hunter and ate it but many others refused)

wild rabbits :o ...think you will find that they are talking...rats..... :D

Sounds like ugly rabbits is the key. I have to believe if you let a whole bunch loose in the fields they'd start disappearing, and not due to snakes or dogs.

Anyway, since few have a taste for rabbit and I'm not going to be around to create the demand, that'll be an idea for later.

My wife says they only eat the rabbits from the forest. The domestic rabbits are for pets ONLY.

The only trouble is: there ain't no more forest, so there ain't no more bunnies. Ok, there's a few scrubby bits of forest about, but that's so hunted out that any rabbit which could survive the pressure, would have to be wearing a bullet proof vest and called "Houdini". :o

But, some people do keep bunnies as more than cuddly pets and enjoy the taste of raised rabbit. I used to know a couple, including one dude on that island in front of Vientiane which now has a hideous hotel built on top of it. Having said that, they are pretty few and far between and are rarer than Welsh rarebit down the somtam stall. :D

So, if you do want to raise them as pets, I can fairly safely say that should one or two accidently trip over a sharp knife whilst hopping around, then the neighbours are unlikely to turn their noses up at a bit of gaeng gratai or gratai laab. :D

Some day if you see a guy herding a flock of rabbits into the fields to graze, you'll know I've retired to Thailand. I just hope I can train some sheep dogs to keep them all orderly.
This Rabbit Subject is Interesting.My Wife comes from a small Villiage not far from Ban Chiang,and was Horrified when i told Her that i used to eat Rabbit In England when I was growing up :D ,it seemed a Bit strange to me at the time,because we had just eaten Rat Stew which is quite a speciality in Issan :o .Also My Mother-in-Law Thought it was disgusting to eat Rabbit.I have personally eaten Rat,Kia Moot Daang (Red Ant Eggs+Ants) small Birds and Various assorted Insects whilst being with My Wife,But the only thing I have really Dramn the line at is Cows AfterBirth which is also a Speciality of Issan :D

I hope that this Little snipet has wetted your appetites

Richard

funny how we consider frogs legs and snails a real treat and yet turn out noses up at rats and insects.

I'm lookng forward to trying some of the more obscure dishes and will try to keep an open mind, no matter how "different" it sounds...

funny how we consider frogs legs and snails a real treat and yet turn out noses up at rats and insects.

I'm lookng forward to trying some of the more obscure dishes and will try to keep an open mind, no matter how "different" it sounds...

Is this that Queen's English "we" I've heard about? :o

Edited by Carmine6

I have NEVER been hungry enough to eat insects. I wouldn't eat a rat if I knew what it was. A cow's afterbirth and hog guts are also on the "I'd have to be starving" list. If rabbit was available it would be on my delicious list. I considered raising a few rabbits but would have to kill them and cook them myself so I gave up on the plan.

Thai people do indeed view food much differently than I do. My Thai wife has a blue light high in the air and a fluorescent light over a tub of water under the blue light. The insects fall into the tub of water and early in the morning she will be out there sorting her catch. UGH! Another delicacy for her is tam yam TADPOLE. She thinks it is great fun to go to the local farm ponds and net tadpoles. I did go so far as to try that but the few tadpoles that had developed into baby frogs turned me off. She will cook beef for me but won't eat it herself. She worries whether she has cooked it good because she won't taste it.

I have NEVER been hungry enough to eat insects. I wouldn't eat a rat if I knew what it was. A cow's afterbirth and hog guts are also on the "I'd have to be starving" list. If rabbit was available it would be on my delicious list. I considered raising a few rabbits but would have to kill them and cook them myself so I gave up on the plan.

Thai people do indeed view food much differently than I do. My Thai wife has a blue light high in the air and a fluorescent light over a tub of water under the blue light. The insects fall into the tub of water and early in the morning she will be out there sorting her catch. UGH! Another delicacy for her is tam yam TADPOLE. She thinks it is great fun to go to the local farm ponds and net tadpoles. I did go so far as to try that but the few tadpoles that had developed into baby frogs turned me off. She will cook beef for me but won't eat it herself. She worries whether she has cooked it good because she won't taste it.

This is the thing that would hold me up. Was trying to think how it would be done quickly and neatly without a firearm.

I'm pretty fearless myself when trying things, which gives me bonus points with the family. But there's things I've heard of that would put me to the test. I think imagining things is usually worse than if you see it already cooked.

OP

Very interesting topic!

My wife who is partial to dog was amazed (and at first a little horrified as Richard Crouchers wife) when I told her my Grandad often used to make rabbit pie and I used to eat it and in Belgium a famous dish is Rabbit in Kriek Beer

She does want to try it when she comes to Europe and mentions it every so often but not too loudly the same way she keeps eating dog quiet.