Camera Resources In Thailand

I have only had my Camera for around 7 months (a DSLR) but have found it extremely difficult to find decent suppliers. Many of the posts on this forum are around the "where can I find....?" issue.

Fotofile seem to have a monopoly.....but I'm sure there are many other good shops, locations here. For example ShutterPro, Camera World, Camera City ( I don't know where to find the last 2)I end up buying stuff from England and getting it brought over here. Crazy as I'm probably paying to much, waiting ages and would rather put the money into Thailand.

If everyone could share their experience as reponses to this post then I'll try and create a simple spreadsheet which maybe the Administrators could pin?

I would suggest some simple fields:

Type of resource : eg general camera shop, 2nd hand lens stockist etc;

Web Site:

Experience / comments.

People could also fill in the gaps / add their own experience as we go.

Lets give it a try?

Second hand gear:

Camera collection, now moved to Charn Issara Tower in Rama 4 Rd. You gotta speak with owner Eddy, a Hong Kong Chinese. Mainly pro stuff and serious collectors items, can get organise equipment from Hong Kong.

Takeshi Camera, in a small department store opposite Merry King in Mahachai Rd. They do wonders in Camera repairs, mainly old mechanical cameras as well. They are very helpful in weird modifications of lenses and cameras. In the same department store are several other second hand shops.

At Atsadang Rd (Klong Lot) near Sanam Luang is a string of several second hand Camera shops. You gotta negotiate around the many hookers there, as this is in the oldest redlight district of Bangkok.

The best place to buy film is in a shop opposite Central Lad Prao, i forgot the name of the particular shop, just ask around, there are several shops. Even Fotofile orders from this shop.

Interesting are the shops in Chalern Krung Rd in Chinatown, especially the good old Shine Camera, lots of esoteric stuff, like Chinese Cameras, eastern European stuff, cheap lights and other useful and weird things.

World Camera is located in Chinatown, at the same place. They have a map (in Thai) at http://www.worldcamera.co.th/

The place Takeshi is located is Pirom Plaza. It's right next to "Saphan Lek" (literally "metal bridge"), which sells small electronics, RC, and console things. Pirom Plaza itself is known for its used camera shops. Saphan Lek is in between Bahn Mor (lit. potsville), which has electronics parts, and Klong Tom (lit. landfilled canal), which has pretty much everything.

Fotofile actually has a bigger showroom on the 3rd or 4th floor, near the BTS stations, next to the Japanese restaraunts. The one on the first floor is a bit too cramped/crowded.

A shop that many Thais (and a few westerners) highly rate for service is AV Camera, www.avcamera.com. It's located in the soi next to the Robinson department store near the Taksin BTS station.

Mee Camera, http://www.meecamera.com/, is located in the Thonburi side of Bangkok, about 100 meters away from Pata Pinklao, which is not far from the bridge to the Bangkok side.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Don't know if it's ok to add...just wanted to confirm the CCD cleaning at fotofile...if you go to the shop on the 3rd floor you can usually get your CCD cleaned for free. I was trying to buy some stuff I bought in the states to clean my sensor and they insisted they do it for me as I would certainly mess things up if I did it myself...the only thing is that they carried my camera around for a minute or so afterwards without a lens onjava script:emoticon(':o',%20'smid_11')

guess they think their shop is dust free :D

• 3 weeks later...

I am chasing across town for about a week to get a good deal on a new Nikon DSLR and found 2 good places on the second floor of Fortune Tower. One is called Pix One and has a webpage at http://www.pix-one.com I can't remember the second one, but it is just about 10 meters away on the other side of the aisle.

Both shops give you good prices on new DLSR equipment and prosumer cameras as well as studio flashes and lenses.

To give you one price example: Normally the D70 Kit including the 18-70 lens costs around 41,000 Baht. At these 2 shops it goes for 32,900 Baht. The body alone costs 24,500 Baht, only.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

There's a camera shop selling both new and used equipment on the south (even numbered) side of Sukhumvit below the Asoke BTS station. At last glance there were some unusual models in the shop windows.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi,

What about photo shops nowadays in 2009? Do you know any other place than Fotofile to buy photo lab equipment in Bangkok? (background, light, tripod, camera)

Fotofile is supposed to have a large choice of products (supposed because they actually had nothing in the shop) but i didn't like to have to bargain to get some informations, it seems like they are rich enough and don't want to sell more.

Maybe should I go to Ratchada Fortune town ?

Thanks for help.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Fotofile is supposed to have a large choice of products (supposed because they actually had nothing in the shop) but i didn't like to have to bargain to get some informations, it seems like they are rich enough and don't want to sell more.

Lately, I'm not too impressed with Fotofile on the first floor either, they are rather terse and rude. The guys on the third floor are a little nicer, but I don't feel comfortable there anymore.

I will check out the camera shop in Pinklao, I need to get my Nikon cleaned and tuned up.

• 3 months later...

Hi, thanks for this list, one question:

Are there any updates to this list or is the information still correct and up to date? e.g. like meridian said that fotofile's service is not that impressing anymore. Are there any new stores that people prefere, which could be updated to this list? Thanks!

• 3 months later...

hello, Im looking for some help on light globes for my studio lights. I purchased my lighting in Fortune Town a year ago and then moved down south of Thailand. Since then I have exploded 3 bulbs (globes) and have no way to purchase them in the area I am. I even drove to Phuket looking for them and I couldnt find a pro cam shop to help me.

Does anyone know the name of the shop in Fortune Town that deals with lighting, lighting stands, green screens and tripods.. I cant remember if they sell cameras also.. maybe..

I think it is on the 3rd floor and if I remember rightly once you come out of the escalator you do a 180 turn and head down the corridor towards the hotel end (not Tesco end).. As you go past all the software and phone shops you come near to the ending of this little mall part and on the right hand side there is the shop.. The lights and tripods are spilling out into the mall and very easy to spot..

Across from that shop there is also a camera shop (I think) that also sells tripods etc.

I would love a phone number or website and I would also pay someone to purchase them and send them to me - Im that desperate!

Please PM me or write on this thread with any info or offer of help.. I can take a photo of the globe and send you also.

thanks

Beth

hello, Im looking for some help on light globes for my studio lights. I purchased my lighting in Fortune Town a year ago and then moved down south of Thailand. Since then I have exploded 3 bulbs (globes) and have no way to purchase them in the area I am. I even drove to Phuket looking for them and I couldnt find a pro cam shop to help me.

Does anyone know the name of the shop in Fortune Town that deals with lighting, lighting stands, green screens and tripods.. I cant remember if they sell cameras also.. maybe..

I think it is on the 3rd floor and if I remember rightly once you come out of the escalator you do a 180 turn and head down the corridor towards the hotel end (not Tesco end).. As you go past all the software and phone shops you come near to the ending of this little mall part and on the right hand side there is the shop.. The lights and tripods are spilling out into the mall and very easy to spot..

Across from that shop there is also a camera shop (I think) that also sells tripods etc.

I would love a phone number or website and I would also pay someone to purchase them and send them to me - Im that desperate!

Please PM me or write on this thread with any info or offer of help.. I can take a photo of the globe and send you also.

thanks

Beth

I am almost certain you refer to Capa Foto. Their phone number is 02 776566301

Some people there speak reasonable English, and they are in general quite helpful! I had them import a flex background for me, which they did!

Good luck!

I am almost certain you refer to Capa Foto. Their phone number is 02 776566301

Some people there speak reasonable English, and they are in general quite helpful! I had them import a flex background for me, which they did!

Good luck!

Thanks ever so much, I will wait til my partner comes home to make the call as his Thai is better than mine.

fingers crossed!

I am chasing across town for about a week to get a good deal on a new Nikon DSLR and found 2 good places on the second floor of Fortune Tower. One is called Pix One and has a webpage at Pix-One ÃéÒ¹¡Åéͧ·Õè¤Ø³àÅ×Í¡ : Pix-One ÃѺ»ÃСѹ¤ÇÒÁªÑ´·Ø¡ Pixel I can't remember the second one, but it is just about 10 meters away on the other side of the aisle.

Both shops give you good prices on new DLSR equipment and prosumer cameras as well as studio flashes and lenses.

To give you one price example: Normally the D70 Kit including the 18-70 lens costs around 41,000 Baht. At these 2 shops it goes for 32,900 Baht. The body alone costs 24,500 Baht, only.

Watch out for "grey" cameras here; no international warranty, only local shop based guarantee.

I bought a Nikon D90 here for a good price and so far no problems.

• 1 month later...

I just had 10.000 dollars worth of Pentax equipment shipped to me. If i bought a canon or nikon here it would of cost me about 15000 dollars.

I personally seldom buy here. Most of the time i lie about the price to avoid the outragous tax. And have yet to have a problem.

I usually buy from Amazon and have it shipped to the states then have them ship to me. Althought Foto file is the best place I have found to buy at a good price. And professional equipment. I do buy from them some. Verry good shops in bkk. But in bkk only.

My thoughts on the subject.

Edited by garyk

• 8 months later...

I have been using Fotofile for many years now and have always received excellent service from them.

Gets very busy on the first floor some times so it might be worthwhile going back later for individual service.

Guy to speak to is Kuhn Oliver

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

bought D700 from HK via Eddy, very satisfied with the service, price was ok

bought from fotofile second hand lens on the ground floor, had problems twice and they took them back each time but I had to swap for something else. They did not thoroughly checked their lenses and they were seriously defective. Final purchase was of good value and I am happy using it. The boss is Oliver, he is reliable in his commitment but I still believe they are not cheap

Usually buy from the shop on 5th floor for accessories, but their prices are quite high on bodies and lenses.

Bought at pantip for high end lenses and had a better deal, like 24-70mm 2.8 Nikkor is 52000 cash at pantip and 64000 MBK. I like the shop at MBK why such a difference but they could not really give me a satisfying answer.

Overall, you need to watch for fake items, like batteries, filters etc... especially pantip is infested with them.

Edited by ozterix

• 1 month later...