Hollywood Movie ‘The Coup’ Starts Filming in Phetchaburi

Jonathan Fairfield

Hello Vietnam starring Robin Williams was also filmed in Thailand. They can't film in Vietnam because it's a communist country.

You cant say because it's a communist country and leave it at that. It has to do with the government censorship. Two reasons, one is most

likely the Vietnam govt will not give permission to make a film that isn't projecting Vietnam as a great place. Second would be the lack of experience

in film making. Everything is censored in Vietnam. When I was living there any movie that came on HBO that the govt did not want you to see, the screen would go black. The movie good morning Vietnam came on the one day I was ready to sit down and watch it, but then the screen went black.

Graham Greene gave us the best book on this subject, The Quiet American.

Hello Vietnam starring Robin Williams was also filmed in Thailand. They can't film in Vietnam because it's a communist country.

It is perfectly possible for a Western film to be shot in Vietnam. For example, they filmed parts of the Quiet American in Hoi An, Vietnam. True, Good Morning Vietnam (not Hello Vietnam) was filmed in Thailand in 1987- 26 years ago. Vietnam has changed quite a lot since then and it is only nominally a communist country at this point.

I suspect Thailand was chosen in this case because of the much higher technical capabilities of the film industry in Thailand, nothing to do with Communism vs. Capitalism.

• Like 1

bartender100, on 21 Dec 2013 - 15:28, said:

Thanks for the set pictures, excellent, wonder if they need extra's?

I think you read the other post on TV that they are paying the farang extras 2,000 baht a day while the Thais get 700 baht.

But that's life!

OMG, two-tier pricing ! ! !

Outrageous!

Uncivilized!

Immoral!

Where are all the TVers protesting this grave injustice?

Like all Hollywood movies, short on reality, long on rah, rah, USA forgetting most coups were supported or caused by the CIA.

But I am sure it will be a fun well produced movie. The reason I think it is being shot here is Thailand has a well developed

and excellent film industry. Anyone who has watched just the coming features in the theatre can see the comedy films

are really funny. Genuinely surprised they have not been dubbed and released in western countries. biggrin.png

"Most coups were supported or caused by the CIA"? Please provide some sort of data to support the most theory. "Most" is such a vague word. Perhaps the word "Many" could be a possible substitute. It doesn't sound as definite as the former.

"Please provide some sort of data..."

I doubt that all the books on modern history of Latin America could be uploaded here.

As an educational primer -- please Google "wiki united fruit company"

In terms of widespread violations of international law, trampling of the civil rights of poor defenseless

people, fomenting violence and other inhumane abuses, the activities of the CIA in Latin America make

Fidel Castro and Che Guevara both look like innocent Boy Scouts in comparison.

Would be good to avoid the propaganda and study some history with an open mind.

Edited by BradinAsia

And not a single photo op showing TV vips with the actors mentioned?

Photos were all made using the new TV drone?

"Thaivisa exclusive" implies some inner circle relation with the production so you'd think thye'd be gracious enough to organize some goodwill/promo shots with the aforementioned actors. Sadness fills my heart.

Like all Hollywood movies, short on reality, long on rah, rah, USA forgetting most coups were supported or caused by the CIA.

But I am sure it will be a fun well produced movie. The reason I think it is being shot here is Thailand has a well developed

and excellent film industry. Anyone who has watched just the coming features in the theatre can see the comedy films

are really funny. Genuinely surprised they have not been dubbed and released in western countries. biggrin.png

"Most coups were supported or caused by the CIA"? Please provide some sort of data to support the most theory. "Most" is such a vague word. Perhaps the word "Many" could be a possible substitute. It doesn't sound as definite as the former.

"Please provide some sort of data..."

I doubt that all the books on modern history of Latin America could be uploaded here.

As an educational primer -- please Google "wiki united fruit company"

In terms of widespread violations of international law, trampling of the civil rights of poor defenseless

people, fomenting violence and other inhumane abuses, the activities of the CIA in Latin America make

Fidel Castro and Che Guevara both look like innocent Boy Scouts in comparison.

Would be good to avoid the propaganda and study some history with an open mind.

I think the point he is trying to make/imply is "ignorance is bliss"

This one's got flop written all over it.

That may be true for now but in reality given the current unstable political environment which is not likely to ease for some time, the chances of a real Coup occurring are perhaps 50/50.

A win, win for producers even if they sit on the film until one occurs in terms of relative release timing. The background story behind the film ARGO may have been ancient but captivated everyone’s imagination, due to the climate of many uprisings around the world at time of release, which in the end, turned out to be a reasonable academy award wining film.

Edited by MK1

In 1990, a few scenes from Air America with Mel Gibson were shot in Chiang Mai. Since I was "on the beach" from work, I played in a scene called, "Ninos." Although I and others drank copious amounts of wine during the shootings, Mel Gibson never appeared. All of us drank wineuntil ca. 5am the next morning before shooting finished. I got some stares from some monks

when they saw me staggering back to my apt.

It sounds like this film might be based on the 1963 Coup?

Here is a decent report from David Halberstam at the time:

DAVID HALBERSTAM:
Coup in Saigon: A Detailed Account
Originally published in The New York Times, November 6, 1963
SAIGON, South Vietnam, Nov. 5 — Plot and counterplot in a complex pattern of intrigue culminated in the military coup d'etat in South Vietnam Friday.
The vanity of an ambitious young general, Ton That Dinh appears to have been a key factor in the train of events that led to the overthrow of the Ngo family regime and the deaths of President Ngo Dinh Diem and his brother Ngo Dinh Nhu.

http://www.pbs.org/weta/reportingamericaatwar/reporters/halberstam/coup.html

"The Ugly American" is a good film, it was filmed here and Kukrit Pramoj had a turn as the fictional country's PM, and he also had a brief turn as the real PM for Thailand, circa 1975/76.

Graham Greene's novel, "The Quiet American" is pretty good, it was filmed in 1958 and 2002 with varying degrees of critical success.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...