Return/onward ticket?

I'm a US citizen planning on heading to Thailand soon. I'll probably be there at least a year and was going to do the monthly visa run deal.

I was just curious regarding the Return/Onward ticket requirement I read about for the On-Arrival visa. Is it enforced? What if you enter the country by plane and plan to leave by train?

Any advice or help is appreciated. Thanks.

Airlines check this and will probably not let you board without a r/t ticket within the 30 day no visa required window.  Get a tourist visa at the nearest Thai Consulate (you can find a list on the Washington DC Embassy website).

I have travelled to Thailand many times with an open return ticket. Neither the airline or immigration have questioned this. I have now a one year retirement visa and travel out of Thailand on  open returns (to Malaysia/Indonesia/Singapore). Therefore I do not have a ticket when I return.

I cannot explain this.

Of the last five friends that I have had fly over to BKK, three were required by the airline's check-in agent to produce outward-bound tickets. The airlines were Cathay (in London), Northwest (Seattle, and they checked again at the transit in NRT), and United (New York). The agents' suggestion was to purchase a fully refundable ticket to someplace outside of Thailand (say, Singapore) and then refun the ticket when they arrived in Bangkok. Without the outward-bound ticket, they would not issue a boarding pass. Not all airlines do this everytime, but be prepared when you check in, perhaps with a credit card in case you need to purchase a ticket.

I have now a one year retirement visa and travel out of Thailand on  open returns (to Malaysia/Indonesia/Singapore).
The problem is only if you do not have a visa.  The 30 day entry without visa is tied to having a confirmed return/onward ticket.

I must be slow ...will someone explain why so many people go to such lengths and inconveniences to avoid getting a simple visa for Thailand.

In the light of regional security    I'd be very surprised if any airline would carry you without either a visa or an outbound ticket confirmedwithin 30 days of arrival. No carrier want to get into a fight with  Immigration because of a  passengers whim. Bringing somebody is an finable offence and the fine well exceeds the airfare paid.

be warned. times are changing. i have entered and left Thailand MANY times. I have never been asked for an ongoing/return ticket out of Thailand by either Immigration or airline (and have flown on many) in Jan. this year i left Thailand to go to Aus.( BKK/ Sydney/BKK). when i tried to board my flight back to Thailand (this was with Cathay Pacific), i was refused POINT BLANK, because i could not produce an ongoing/return. Even tho' i pointed out that i intended to travel overland to either Malaysia/Laos/Cambodia i was REFUSED. i had to purchase a new ticket with another airline (Dubai) Aus/BKK/London. Save yourself a lot of potential hassle. do as advised. get a visa or return/ongoing ticket!! regards, "drifter"

I am in process of obtaining a retirement visa,and plan on making my move in november-03.

I was wondering what the heck to bring with me but someone has answered what I already suspected, just what I can carry in my suitcase.Everything else can be bought there.And the idea of removing my hard drive from the desk top was really useful info.

And also I'll buy a round trip ticket,although I doubt I'll ever leave the kingdom.

Thanks

I must be slow ...will someone explain why so many people go to such lengths and inconveniences to avoid getting a simple visa for Thailand.

Over a 4 year period I travelled from Malaysia to Thailand approximately 50 times, primarily for business reasons. When receiving a telephone call to attend a meeting the following day, it's not really feasible to apply for and obtain a visa. I appreciate from the posts on this subject that times are indeed "a changin"

A multiple entry visa might be your best bet... Indonesia is in the process cancelling visa free periods for all  countries that do not offer reciprocity to Indonesians. That means ALL countries except the ASEAN'S. Other countries will probably follow suit in the near future.

I'm a little confused so could some kind person please clear this up for me.

I want to enter Thailand without a outward bound ticket. I therefore am trying to apply for a tourist visa. However when I have check web pages to find info on getting a visa they have mentioned that I need an air ticket that is already paid in full. I don't have one and I probably won't get one as I will enter Thailand from Malaysia, probably by road. Is there a way round having an air ticket? Can I apply for a tourist visa in Malaysia without a ticket?

Any help will be appreciated.

Can I apply for a tourist visa in Malaysia without a ticket?

Yes.  And if you enter by road, and appear to be solvent, it would not be an issue without a visa as immigration is not going to ask for a ticket (although they 'could' ask to see funds).  If you plan on staying longer than 30 days you should get a visa first.

As for the dr's line about other countries will probably follow Indonesia's visa policy I don't expect to see it in my lifetime.  But then again am getting rather old. :o