Central Festival Hat Yai

recom273

http://www.centralfestival.co.th/hatyai/en/index.php

It opened two weekends ago, we visited yesterday.

Huge place, lots of shops with not a great deal to sell and lots of locals wandering without spending money. A lot of bored looking shop assistants.

Shops of note : New Balance, North Face, AIIZ, Marks n Sparks, toys R Us, ibeat, Samsung. Superdry clothing & Burton Menswear ( not open yet ) Some good clothing brands and kitchen goodies in Central.

Entertainment : Cinema, Bowling and an Ice rink .. The locals skate worse than they drive.

Fails: Too many Japanese chain-restaurants.

Bad city managment, the car park is huge, with no logic. Traffic is 1000x worse in the small soi's around Diana>Bus station.

A noticable increase in Malay visitors in town, so bound to be a hit with them.

Edited by recom273

Went there on Saturday.. bad idea, traffic was chaos and the mall was heaving with rubber-necker bumpkins.

There are several store still to open so plenty of 'Coming Soon' hoardings and they're still finishing off parts of the mall and doing a general clean up.
But it's a welcome addition to Hat Yai, the TOPS Market seems to stock a few extra luxuries not to be found in the branches at Robinson, Centara or Diana.

Huh ? There was a Tops too … must have missed that.

lol .. rubberneck bumpkins.

Time will tell if all the shops survive, especially the smaller side stalls and handbag shops.

AIIZ was opening with a massive queue for 50% ladies wear but apart from that i didn't see much purchasing going on.

Went yesterday....all is as you say here.

The thing that surprised me was "Starbucks Coffee".....Horrible coffee, tasted like burnt water....never again.

I wonder how long it will stay as clean as I noticed it to be while visiting there.

Apparently, the Central opposite of Lee Garden was cursed for having too little car park, so Central Festival build lots of car park.

I live around the new Central Festival and I hate it during weekend. Traffic jam around the area. I'm not too happy about it.

• 3 weeks later...

"Lots" is something of an understatement, it looks like a large multi-storey car park with a shopping mall, rather than a mall with parking space.

I think in Hat Yai it would be considered prudent to bolt the car park on to the rear of the mall, rather than stick it underneath.  

• 4 weeks later...

As confirmed country bumpkins we'll be down later this month to ride the escalators for a couple of hours.

A couple of years ago we went to the one in Surat Thani and saw exactly the same - bored shop assistants, too many Japanese restaurants and people just milling around without buying.

Yep, looking forward to Marks & Sparks, Tops but not thrilled about the ice rink. Wifey wants to have a go as she's tried skating in Bangkok before. Therefore I must have a go too. Not too thrilled as when I was young and lived in Austria I was taken ice skating every weekend during the winter months. According to my mum I was worse than useless, John Curry never lost any sleep worrying about me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was in this mall on Monday this week, and it was practically deserted.  I was there from about 12:00 to 2:00 and I'd guess there were fewer than 200 customers in the entire place.  However, there were countless staff standing around looking at their phones.

As mentioned above, the parking lot is enormous.

I was in this mall on Monday this week, and it was practically deserted.  I was there from about 12:00 to 2:00 and I'd guess there were fewer than 200 customers in the entire place.  However, there were countless staff standing around looking at their phones.

As mentioned above, the parking lot is enormous.

Yup, the novelty must have worn off by now for the locals - As an indicator, there is a Japanese restaurant by the bus station that was always packed. When Central opened, the place just emptied ovenight as people flocked to check out Central, now the place back to full everynight.

The Malaysians arent visiting in the numbers they were a few months back.

For me, its just too big - Walking for 20 minutes from the back of the bike park puts me off .. 

Yeah, you've got to wonder how it was financed. I guess they are confident of getting tenants, who are the direct ones to pay for it. A year or two of lousy sales figures and then what?

I wonder what will become of it? Lower the rents, get cheaper stalls...make it the biggest undercover market in Southern Thailand?

They need to diversify. Have cheap traditional style food and produce stalls at the top two or three floors.

It is busy at the weekend there are buses from Malaysia and more locally. But it does look pretty empty weekdays when I've been, though I've not been in the evening.

It is busy at the weekend there are buses from Malaysia and more locally.

I meant to make that point in my earlier post.  It surely has to be busier on the weekend, but I was really surprised by how few people were there in the middle of the day.   With all the staff blankly staring at the phones, it seemed like a movie set for a zombie apocalypse film.

They said pretty much the same thing about Paragon when it opened ... but the same shops, apparently still devoid of any customers, are still there.   I actually like "Fess" ... I can get my Starbucks and blueberry muffin, my bread from S&P, pay 3BB, do my weekly shop at Tops and take in a decent movie - all under one roof.  If you think Fess is suffering, it's nothing compared to Lee Gardens and Central in the centre of town.  I have no idea what the business model is for some of the outlets ... we'll just have to wait and see how it all pans out .... Ramadan begins soon (this weekend?), so that'll be a big test.

Many weekends, if you want to eat at your favourite mall restaurant, you should be prepared to queue up until a table becomes available.

Edited by rajyindee

• 1 month later...

It must be my weekend .. I went to Cetral Festi for the second time since its appearance.

I got sent to one entrance by security, then told i couldn't park in Superbike parking because my bike wasnt big enough and told to park in the new 150-300cc section.  All fair enough, the management must have listened to bikers suggestions, the new section looked roomy enough. The security let me in to the complex, I rode around the carpark under the building, the security were helpful and smiling pointing the way to go, i dropped the missus at the entrance to tops in the basement and went to park the bike.

But I couldnt figure the entrance to the bike parking, it was all coned and taped off, so i thought better to ride out and follow the other bike in, as I started to ride out, some security started shouting and chasing me, by now im really confused, i turned around and rode back in the entrance.

First thing at the gate entrance im asked for my passport ??? Yeah, the wives ID card, my wallet and everything else is in the backpack, with wifey .. whos now sitting in Starbucks.

I was refused entry !!! FFS. I took my helmet off, so they can clearly see im no insurgent, by now there is a mile of cars behind me, they wouldnt relent and allow me a free pass.

So be warned .. no photo ID, leave your bike outside and walk in. Its actually quicker.

It must be my weekend .. I went to Cetral Festi for the second time since its appearance.

I got sent to one entrance by security, then told i couldn't park in Superbike parking because my bike wasnt big enough and told to park in the new 150-300cc section.  All fair enough, the management must have listened to bikers suggestions, the new section looked roomy enough. The security let me in to the complex, I rode around the carpark under the building, the security were helpful and smiling pointing the way to go, i dropped the missus at the entrance to tops in the basement and went to park the bike.

But I couldnt figure the entrance to the bike parking, it was all coned and taped off, so i thought better to ride out and follow the other bike in, as I started to ride out, some security started shouting and chasing me, by now im really confused, i turned around and rode back in the entrance.

First thing at the gate entrance im asked for my passport ??? Yeah, the wives ID card, my wallet and everything else is in the backpack, with wifey .. whos now sitting in Starbucks.

I was refused entry !!! <deleted>. I took my helmet off, so they can clearly see im no insurgent, by now there is a mile of cars behind me, they wouldnt relent and allow me a free pass.

So be warned .. no photo ID, leave your bike outside and walk in. Its actually quicker.

Sounds like a great excuse not to ever go shopping there.

Shopping + wife & daughter = interminable misery, wasted time and $.

What's the alcohol situation there?

I was refused entry !!! <deleted>. I took my helmet off, so they can clearly see im no insurgent, by now there is a mile of cars behind me, they wouldnt relent and allow me a free pass.

Sounds like a great excuse not to ever go shopping there.

Shopping + wife & daughter = interminable misery, wasted time and $.

What's the alcohol situation there?

lol .. yeah .. you are right. Im not too sure about drinking.

I have been to Bangkok on more occasions since this place opened, far more convenient to fly to the smoke.

Ironically, I bought something i could have got from any Banana IT, and they didnt have the shoes in her size so we went to Sports world in Robinsons .. in and out within 10 minutes.

Now that the crowds have died down, I can see the wood from the trees, and theres not too much there. The big restaurants had big queues outside, the unfashionable ones almost empty. The people spending money in the clothes shops didnt seem to be speaking Thai.

Lol. I didn't know there was a 1500-300 cc section....would my CPX 150 qualify?

I too had an odd experience with the parking security. We went there to buy a laptop and parked in the large parking lot at the back for all the scooters. Going through security, got issued a plastic card. On the way out through security, the lady didn't ask for the card so it remained in my shoulder bag.

A few days later we returned because of a problem with the lappy. On the way in, security did not issue a card. On the way out, security demanded a card! I had forgotten the card I still had, and said, "no, I was not given one when I came in", but that stance was rejected and things started to get a bit tense on both sides and quite a queue building up behind me.

I reached into my bag to offer my drivers licence and came across the card from last time....problem solved, but of course I looked like a dick. Lucky though!

Edited by Seastallion

… 

Lol. I didn't know there was a 1500-300 cc section....would my CPX 150 qualify?

I too had an odd experience with the parking security. We went there to buy a laptop and parked in the large parking lot at the back for all the scooters. Going through security, got issued a plastic card. On the way out through security, the lady didn't ask for the card so it remained in my shoulder bag.

A few days later we returned because of a problem with the lappy. On the way in, security did not issue a card. On the way out, security demanded a card! I had forgotten the card I still had, and said, "no, I was not given one when I came in", but that stance was rejected and things started to get a bit tense on both sides and quite a queue building up behind me.

I reached into my bag to offer my drivers licence and came across the card from last time....problem solved, but of course I looked like a dick. Lucky though!

Yes mate, you would be most welcome there. its right at the front of the bike park, all fenced off. There is room to turn into the spots and you wont come back to find some plebs wedged his mini-moto in next to yours.

i guess they got so many complaints from 150-300cc owners that they were entitled to some extra room and too many scratches .. and the management actually listened.

Yeah, i figured why they were shouting and chasing me, after some kind of card .. like you say, something like this causes a problem real fast with the security there, and there was no rational solution that they were prepared to find.

Im think Tesco / Big C have got the security angle nailed now, a lift of the visor and they wave me through with a smile, does seem pointless to check the 2" square stow-away under the pillion of a westerner, especially when they missed the 2 gas cylinders in the front seat of a car parked in Lee gardens for 24 hours.

It was busy today, about the busiest I've seen it. I guess month end and still part of the Hari Raya Adifitri holiday week. There was actually a queue at the Marks & Spencer check-out!

So I guess the weekend will be worth avoiding.