Why Rimping?

Ormgard

I went to Rimping superstore (next to Novotel) for the first time the other day. Surprised to see it was only one floor, namely the ground one (fitness center upstairs).

I've heard so much about Rimping beeing excellent, on par with Central (Kad Suan Keow in Huey Keow Rd, next to the Orchid Hotel). But it didn't seem anywhere near Central. Limited number of stores, tired looking vegetables in the food department etc. Plus one rather expensive restaurant (S&P).

So what's the secret? What did I miss?

You are trying to compare apples and bulldozers. They are not the same thing.

Rimping is a chain of three supermarkets with the best selection of farang oriented food products of any in Chiang Mai. Compared with, for example, Tops in Kad Suan Kaew, the selection is far more Farang oriented, and generally better quality.

Furthermore, Central is a single department store located in a shopping centre or Mall, Kad Suan Kaew. Central is effectively only one shop, like Rimping.

At Rimping you can find food product lines totally unavailable elsewhere - Central you find shoes, handbags, clothing and fans - Apples & Bulldozers!

You are trying to compare apples and bulldozers. They are not the same thing.

Rimping is a chain of three supermarkets with the best selection of farang oriented food products of any in Chiang Mai. Compared with, for example, Tops in Kad Suan Kaew, the selection is far more Farang oriented, and generally better quality.

Furthermore, Central is a single department store located in a shopping centre or Mall, Kad Suan Kaew. Central is effectively only one shop, like Rimping.

At Rimping you can find food product lines totally unavailable elsewhere - Central you find shoes, handbags, clothing and fans - Apples & Bulldozers!

Rimping also proides excellent personal service, in my experience. :o

Surprised to see it was only one floor, namely the ground one (fitness center upstairs).

I've heard so much about Rimping beeing excellent, on par with Central (Kad Suan Keow in Huey Keow Rd, next to the Orchid Hotel). But it didn't seem anywhere near Central. Limited number of stores, tired looking vegetables in the food department etc. Plus one rather expensive restaurant (S&P).

So what's the secret? What did I miss?

One ground floor....What did you expect? A multi storey complex?

Expensive restaurant?..... Surely you went there to shop not eat.

What did you miss?..... I'd say most of everything that Rimping has to offer.

Rimping...Excellent selection of cheeses, and a large selection of wines. Bonox, Paxo stuffings, heinz products, a wide range of inported meat, Australian grapes, carrots, cauliflower, Bulla pure cream, vinegars from all over, great coffee stock etc.

Tops has none of these...period, and the list is endless. Obviously my taste in farang "goodies" is vastly different to your own.

Parking for Tops is a royal pain, as is carrying all your shopping to the car park. Rimping is easy with a wheel out trolly. However, each to their own. The only good thing Tops has going for it is the fact you can oggle all the nubiles. :o

The range of inports at Rimping also covers other asian foods, not just westerners, and is unmatched in Chian-Mai.

At first I found them more-expensive than the major supermarkets, but they seem to be a bit more competitive recently (just my own impression) , so you might combine Lotus for mass-market local-produced stuff plus Rimping for those personal-favourite imported-items.

Bakery at Rimping is also pretty-good.

Prices do generally tend to be a little higher at Rimping as compared to the hypermarts, but not always and not prohibitively so. I would rather support Rimping than one of the hypermarts although I do my share of shopping at the latter.

Another plus for me regarding Rimping: because of the size of the store and the parking setup, it is easy to make a quick stop there, almost like a large convenience store. Try making a five minute stop at a hypermart or a mall like Kad Suan Kaew. :o

Yep, the quality of products at Rimping, at least the Mae Jo Road one, is unmatched. Great location, great products, great staff, fast checkouts etc etc. Their selection of magazines is also good. I happily pay more at Rimping than similar items elsewhere, just for the ease of it all.

If you're refering to the supermarket downstairs in Central then there is just no comparison.

i think if CHiang Mai adds Foodland, it would be great. 24 hours as well. A sudden crave for one of the most exotic cheese in the middle of the night by the pregnant missus can be fulfilled.

a one storey supermarket is the best way to go. hate parking car at carrefour, tesco, big-c . walk a mile within the store just to find my fruit juice, wait at the big line of 30 or so counters with only 4 or 5 of them open at any one time to pay. sux big time.

i think if CHiang Mai adds Foodland, it would be great. 24 hours as well. A sudden crave for one of the most exotic cheese in the middle of the night by the pregnant missus can be fulfilled.

a one storey supermarket is the best way to go. hate parking car at carrefour, tesco, big-c . walk a mile within the store just to find my fruit juice, wait at the big line of 30 or so counters with only 4 or 5 of them open at any one time to pay. sux big time.

I agree 3 years ago rimping was expensive now they compete and have better quality fresh veg than the compition, if you buy a case of tonic for instance you get disscount not so from the the big stores. Full marks to management took on the big boys and won.

wait at the big line of 30 or so counters with only 4 or 5 of them open at any one time to pay. sux big time.

Yep, that is the absolute worst. Busiest time of the day and only 10% of the checkouts are open :o I'm sure they do it to make the place look even busier. On top of that, many of the products have issues with barcoding etc and the guy on the blades has to risk flattening more poor souls to grab another :D:D Never had to wait for more than 2 minutes at Rimping at the busiest of times... at least half the checkouts are always operational.

In general, I would agree that Rimping is the best grocery store here in Chiangmai.

My only complaint is the Meat department. Unless you are purchasing Beef or Shrimp, you are better off going anywhere else in town.

The selection of chicken is quite pathetic.

Not to change the subject, but does anybody know where to find a canned ham in Chiangmai.

> A sudden crave for one of the most exotic cheese in the middle

> of the night by the pregnant missus can be fulfilled.

Middle of the night? She can jolly well check between my toes then! :o

Cheers,

Chanchao

My only complaint is the Meat department. Unless you are purchasing Beef or Shrimp, you are better off going anywhere else in town.

Have to say I have been happy with the beef selection, particularly the Australian tenderloin (at the new Rimping, at least). I hope they'll get some US beef one of these days, tho', now that the mad cow embargo has been lifted.

I even saw the other day a frozen Kobe beef steak -- about the size of a small pork chop -- priced at over 1000 bt!! I wonder if anyone has bought it yet.....?

Yeah, Rimping's Cheese Curls, pizza-flavored Goldfish snacks, Heinz dill pickles, and boxed California wine complete the civilization of Chiang Mai.

Yeah, Rimping's Cheese Curls, pizza-flavored Goldfish snacks, Heinz dill pickles, and boxed California wine complete the civilization of Chiang Mai.

Hmmmmmmm! :D:o:D I think we can guess from which side of the pond you originate!

Never tasted a pizza flavoured goldfish! The mind boggles. Visions of goldfish being force-fed pizza, much like the goose for the production of foie gras! :D

I think we can guess from which side of the pond you originate!

That obvious, huh? :D

Yeah, the term 'goldfish' is kinda weird for finger snacks. But these cheese-flavored wonders are addictive, at least to me, as are the Cheese Curls -- which, I believe, the ones in Rimping come from Oz. However, for some reason I've run out of these -- and pizza-flavored Goldfish too.

So, off to Rimping.......... :o

Not to change the subject, but does anybody know where to find a canned ham in Chiangmai.

Rimping Chang Puak have it Bob, near the baked bean section from memory :o NFP still has the edge for the best meats in town, but not often on show, you have to ask.

"Not to change the subject, but does anybody know where to find a canned ham in Chiangmai."

My wife has just arrived home with two tins of canned ham from Rimping !!

Give me a smoked ham from Kasem's anyday :o