Maltese Man Beaten Up By 7 Motorbike Taxi Riders

Rimmer

The transport thugs are in on the bank business too? Seriously, why would they CARE about an ATM machine?

I doubt they care about ATM machines, they saw an opportunity to assault a foreigner, and they did, they attacked a man like a pack of hyenas.

• Like 1

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ATM Machines are placed outside shops to make a profit. So the Motorbike Taxi riders probably considered that they were protecting the property of whoever owns the shop. As they sit outside the shop every day they probably know him quite well!!

Edited by Rimmer

The motorbike guys are there part way down the soi at the 2 nd road end because of the small gate that leads to the illegal abortion clinic tagged on to the hospital in soi 5

Dont ask how i know !

Sent from my GT-S5310B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Attacked a machine? What kind of man is that?

Maybe a man visiting Thailand, who lost his ATM card, cos ATM decided not to return his card.

Many people only have one card. If issued by some bank in his home country, he won't get replacement until he gets back home.

But how is he supposed to live here for maybe one more week, with no money.

I can see how he got upset and started kicking the ATM, out of frustriation.

• Like 1

As is so often the case, the whole story is yet to be and/or likely never will be told. Most ATMs have a camera, don't they? Might be nice to roll that beautiful footage. Seriously, taking out one's frustration out on an inanimate object defies logic, no matter what the reason.

Are a lot of them on yabba?

Don't know about a lot, but I know some are users of YaBA. Agree with OMG's assumption that the foreigner said something to the Thai guys that triggered the assault. Police will be able to identify them, at the very least via the licensed 'queue' owner with whom they pay a monthly rent for the location/jacket

Edited by simple1

Really? I think the farang started abusing the motobike taxis after they told him to stop. Do you really think 7 of them would attack a guy over a piece of machinery? Just my guess as to what happened. Anyway its Thailand and this no longer surprises me. Likely all parties had something to drink and aggression when provoked is common. I think there is a definite "stand your ground" mentality by both Thais and tourists here. Better to walk away with a smile and forget whatever issue that bothers you when confronted.

What ever the reason, it comes down to that AGAIN Thais show that they always gang up towards farangs (whom provide them, much of their daily salary) where as the farang is out numbered. 7-1 is even extreme for Thais, usually it is "just" 4-5 Thais and 1 farang.

It is, I say again "What ever the reason", a very low and Thai thing and Thais should be ashamed about this or any other gang up against farangs.

Problems happen, come one on one or even 2 on one since farangs are usually bigger, but not 7 with weapons.

This kind of stuff is ridiculous, Thai or Falang. You see some guy wrecking an ATM you call the police and that is it. Probably he will be charged with something and have to pay $ to the bank for being an idiot. You don't beat him with crowbars and stuff.

Never been to Patts and now probably never will go. I have friends who go, but I don't recommend it to anyone, as it seems opposite of my experience in other places in Thailand. Seems like the locals there really are looking for any excuse to let go on a foreigner.

Another daft farang...like beating on an ATM machine has ever resulted in ones retained card being returned! I can imagine tue Thais probable said to him to go to the branch to report it and get another card and the victim using some choice words telling them to mind their own business. If he happened to include the "F" word among them this is what probably set them off.

They wouldn't have got aroused to anger by a goofy farang beating on a metal box alone.

You have been here far too long. It doesn't matter if he was being stupid and banging the ATM machine, it can never justify a 7 man beating. Your comments are childish, stupid and pretty offensive to read. Even if he was swearing it still does not justify the beating. Violence should not be condoned under any circumstances,, that's part of the basis for a civilised society. Isn't this supposed to be Land of Smiles?

The next time you get angry about something and display it let me know and i will bring 7 guys around to beat the crap out of you. Then tell me it's ok cause you are just another stupid farang losing his temper. Too many of you idiots around in Thailand, I guess it just attracts people like you.

Where were all you in the anti-violence brigade when the ladyboy was getting bashed in the nose for doing nothing more than having a penis...oh yeah...chearing on the attacker for giving the ladyboy what she deserved.

You disgust me the lot of you!

As is so often the case, the whole story is yet to be and/or likely never will be told. Most ATMs have a camera, don't they? Might be nice to roll that beautiful footage. Seriously, taking out one's frustration out on an inanimate object defies logic, no matter what the reason.

Still doesnt jusify 7 men with weapons beating the crap out of 1 guy.. the story doesn't matter, nothing justifies it.. Seriously where do you guys come from?

If this were repeated back in my country and some guy was getting angry about his card being stolen and banging the machine at worst someone would ask him to cool down. If he damaged the machine he wold probably be arrested for criminal damage. Never would 7 guys say "lets go and tool up and beat the crap out of him".

In fact, if the guy was black and the other 7 white locals it would be seriously investigated as a racist attack. You guys that have posted that he might have deserved it do you not remember what it is like back in your home country? Did you leave your civility at home?

• Like 1

I'd bet there's another side to this story. Like mentioned above, if he gave the group the finger along with a few choice words, it makes all the difference in the world here. Thais' don't take that stuff lightly.

Edit: that still doesn't justify 7 on 1. Pretty sad.

Another daft farang...like beating on an ATM machine has ever resulted in ones retained card being returned! I can imagine tue Thais probable said to him to go to the branch to report it and get another card and the victim using some choice words telling them to mind their own business. If he happened to include the "F" word among them this is what probably set them off.

They wouldn't have got aroused to anger by a goofy farang beating on a metal box alone.

You have been here far too long. It doesn't matter if he was being stupid and banging the ATM machine, it can never justify a 7 man beating. Your comments are childish, stupid and pretty offensive to read. Even if he was swearing it still does not justify the beating. Violence should not be condoned under any circumstances,, that's part of the basis for a civilised society. Isn't this supposed to be Land of Smiles?

The next time you get angry about something and display it let me know and i will bring 7 guys around to beat the crap out of you. Then tell me it's ok cause you are just another stupid farang losing his temper. Too many of you idiots around in Thailand, I guess it just attracts people like you.

Where were all you in the anti-violence brigade when the ladyboy was getting bashed in the nose for doing nothing more than having a penis...oh yeah...chearing on the attacker for giving the ladyboy what she deserved.

You disgust me the lot of you!

I was defending the ladyboy, I don't condone violence full stop, what is your point? It's just another stupid comment. I disgust you for being anti-violent! How do you think you appear to any normal, civilised person. Probably make them all sick I suspect.

• Like 1

Still doesnt jusify 7 men with weapons beating the crap out of 1 guy.. the story doesn't matter, nothing justifies it.. Seriously where do you guys come from?

If this were repeated back in my country and some guy was getting angry about his card being stolen and banging the machine at worst someone would ask him to cool down. If he damaged the machine he wold probably be arrested for criminal damage. Never would 7 guys say "lets go and tool up and beat the crap out of him".

In fact, if the guy was black and the other 7 white locals it would be seriously investigated as a racist attack. You guys that have posted that he might have deserved it do you not remember what it is like back in your home country? Did you leave your civility at home?

What are you talking about man...people get beaten up the world over over issues of "respect." I don't know but I'm sure this incident basically boiled down to that. As to the 7 to 1 argument...some dumb people, especially when drunk, don't know when to shut the <deleted> up and walk away.

And yeah, I've lived here like forever without incident. It probably helps that I don't drink but I'm also polite and have respect for local cultural norms. No need to grovel...just be yourself and respect others and you'll be respected in return.

• Like 2

....think about being stranded in a foreign land....with no money...at 4:00 a.m.......and then your only lifeline, your ATM Card...is gone.....

...is there a service number to call....why even during the day you would be lucky to get through.....

..unless he was doing something unlawful the bank should be responsible....

...he desperately banged on the ATM to try to get his card back at least....what else could he do.....

"Maltese Man Beaten Up By 7 Motorbike Taxi Riders"

Just another fine example of why Phuket has become

a shithole. Don't deny it, don't say there are places on the

island where this crap doesn't happen, don't try and justify

the entire islands existance anymore. The "Rock" lost it's

charm years ago and is now run by thugs.

Respect for the local cultural "norms" in Pattaya. OMG, sounds scary!

Maybe your recent incident with the "transport mafia" has permanently scarred you and prejudiced you against Thais. I suspect this from you immediately jumping on the moto-guys from the limited info in the article. I could see how it might. You must remember that most of them went bananas years ago from constantly driving around in circles 12 hours a day and that they do not represent, in any way, the majority of Thai people.

....think about being stranded in a foreign land....with no money...at 4:00 a.m.......and then your only lifeline, your ATM Card...is gone.....

...is there a service number to call....why even during the day you would be lucky to get through.....

..unless he was doing something unlawful the bank should be responsible....

...he desperately banged on the ATM to try to get his card back at least....what else could he do.....

What's this assumption many are making that he was a tourist...he had a Thai wife so looks to me he might be living here. Evev if he wasn't, people shouldn't travel halfway around the world with only one ATM card to fund their travels! And in any case, damaging bank property isn't going to rectify the situation.

• Like 1