Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Maltese Man Beaten Up By 7 Motorbike Taxi Riders"

Just another fine example of why Phuket has become

a shithole. Don't deny it, don't say there are places on the

island where this crap doesn't happen, don't try and justify

the entire islands existance anymore. The "Rock" lost it's

charm years ago and is now run by thugs.

Good that nobody has to read your 8,000 posts. Is Pattaya nowadays in Phuket?- Pee Baa. Jing Jing..-coffee1.gif

As is so often the case, the whole story is yet to be and/or likely never will be told. Most ATMs have a camera, don't they? Might be nice to roll that beautiful footage. Seriously, taking out one's frustration out on an inanimate object defies logic, no matter what the reason.

Still doesnt jusify 7 men with weapons beating the crap out of 1 guy.. the story doesn't matter, nothing justifies it.. Seriously where do you guys come from?

If this were repeated back in my country and some guy was getting angry about his card being stolen and banging the machine at worst someone would ask him to cool down. If he damaged the machine he wold probably be arrested for criminal damage. Never would 7 guys say "lets go and tool up and beat the crap out of him".

In fact, if the guy was black and the other 7 white locals it would be seriously investigated as a racist attack. You guys that have posted that he might have deserved it do you not remember what it is like back in your home country? Did you leave your civility at home?

What are you talking about man...people get beaten up the world over over issues of "respect." I don't know but I'm sure this incident basically boiled down to that. As to the 7 to 1 argument...some dumb people, especially when drunk, don't know when to shut the <deleted> up and walk away.

And yeah, I've lived here like forever without incident. It probably helps that I don't drink but I'm also polite and have respect for local cultural norms. No need to grovel...just be yourself and respect others and you'll be respected in return.

Respect! what are you talking about? Are you suggesting that this man deserved a beating because he was "disrespecting" an ATM machine?

What if he kicked a bin when he just missed the bus, or thumped the counter when he forgot his wallet to pay,, feel free to pick one of any countless examples when someone does something out of frustration, it happens to us all from time to time. Is it time for a 7 man beating?

Of course violence happens everywhere but it is not condoned, my issue is people like you trying to defend the actions of 7 tooled up locals beating the crap out of 1 man.

Your use of the word "respect" seems to be closer to the definition for "excuse".

Motorbike taxi's are anything but our friends. They are always ready to use any excuse they can to beat upon foreigners.

I've seen it many times over, and since they are everywhere, it's easy to witness such an act.

The wife was there to witness this, so why should any of you doubt the story?

Open your eyes, and you shall see the truth,

as so many of us have, it's all a matter of time...

• Like 2

You behave like a dog, you should be treated like one. This individual should go ahead and try this kind of behaviour in is own country. As a guest in THIS country he should at least try and act civilized,regardless of how frustrating situations may be. He does not like it, he goes back to where he comes from. As simple as that. Why should he excpect Thais, or anyone else for that matter, to behave properly when he, for one, is the first one to act like a punk?

You are wrong on every single level.

Is it against the law to cause damage to property in Thailand? Yes it is,, Thailand has laws to deal with this guy, if he was getting out of hand and in his frustration he damaged the ATM, that's what the police are for. He would then have to take the punishment issued out by the court and quite right. (It doesn't actually say he caused any damage though...)

Is it a civilised society where 7 locals take the law into their own hands, get some weapons and beat the crap out of that guy? No, of course not.

Who would want to be a guest in a country that publicly condoned this? Nobody, but don't take my word for it, ask around and use this example as a hypothetical,, you might be surprised at the response from normal, civilised people.

As is so often the case, the whole story is yet to be and/or likely never will be told. Most ATMs have a camera, don't they? Might be nice to roll that beautiful footage. Seriously, taking out one's frustration out on an inanimate object defies logic, no matter what the reason.

Still doesnt jusify 7 men with weapons beating the crap out of 1 guy.. the story doesn't matter, nothing justifies it.. Seriously where do you guys come from?

If this were repeated back in my country and some guy was getting angry about his card being stolen and banging the machine at worst someone would ask him to cool down. If he damaged the machine he wold probably be arrested for criminal damage. Never would 7 guys say "lets go and tool up and beat the crap out of him".

In fact, if the guy was black and the other 7 white locals it would be seriously investigated as a racist attack. You guys that have posted that he might have deserved it do you not remember what it is like back in your home country? Did you leave your civility at home?

What are you talking about man...people get beaten up the world over over issues of "respect." I don't know but I'm sure this incident basically boiled down to that. As to the 7 to 1 argument...some dumb people, especially when drunk, don't know when to shut the <deleted> up and walk away.

And yeah, I've lived here like forever without incident. It probably helps that I don't drink but I'm also polite and have respect for local cultural norms. No need to grovel...just be yourself and respect others and you'll be respected in return.

Respect! what are you talking about? Are you suggesting that this man deserved a beating because he was "disrespecting" an ATM machine?

What if he kicked a bin when he just missed the bus, or thumped the counter when he forgot his wallet to pay,, feel free to pick one of any countless examples when someone does something out of frustration, it happens to us all from time to time. Is it time for a 7 man beating?

Of course violence happens everywhere but it is not condoned, my issue is people like you trying to defend the actions of 7 tooled up locals beating the crap out of 1 man.

Your use of the word "respect" seems to be closer to the definition for "excuse".

Come on...let's be real here. I don't condone violence, except in self defense. I also don't believe that Thais go around and bash foreigners for no reason. Obviously some confrontation occurred between this man and the Thais that escalated into violence. Whatever it was it was probably unjustified but it happened. Unfortunately, neither side was mature enough to deescalate the situation and this fella came out holding the short end of the stick.

• Like 1

....think about being stranded in a foreign land....with no money...at 4:00 a.m.......and then your only lifeline, your ATM Card...is gone.....

...is there a service number to call....why even during the day you would be lucky to get through.....

..unless he was doing something unlawful the bank should be responsible....

...he desperately banged on the ATM to try to get his card back at least....what else could he do.....

What's this assumption many are making that he was a tourist...he had a Thai wife so looks to me he might be living here. Evev if he wasn't, people shouldn't travel halfway around the world with only one ATM card to fund their travels! And in any case, damaging bank property isn't going to rectify the situation.

Damaging bank property isn't, you're right. So he should be arrested and charged if this is what he did. A 7 man, armed lynch mob is not going to rectify the situation either although you seem to condone it.

"Maltese Man Beaten Up By 7 Motorbike Taxi Riders"

Just another fine example of why Phuket has become

a shithole. Don't deny it, don't say there are places on the

island where this crap doesn't happen, don't try and justify

the entire islands existance anymore. The "Rock" lost it's

charm years ago and is now run by thugs.

I dislike Phuket too but didn't this happen in Pattaya? 55555

Yes it did...too much Christmas spirits...apols.

Edited by sunshine51

Motorbike taxi's are anything but our friends. They are always ready to use any excuse they can to beat upon foreigners.

I've seen it many times over, and since they are everywhere, it's easy to witness such an act.

The wife was there to witness this, so why should any of you doubt the story?

Open your eyes, and you shall see the truth,

as so many of us have, it's all a matter of time...

How much time Marc? I've been here nearly 15 years and never seen or personally experienced any violence from the moto-taxi ranks (and I generally walk around with my eyes open). On the contrary, I've been helped on a couple occasions by them.

As for the wife, I didn't see any quotes by her as to what happened in the article. Maybe you were at the police station at the time and can enlighten us?

....think about being stranded in a foreign land....with no money...at 4:00 a.m.......and then your only lifeline, your ATM Card...is gone.....

...is there a service number to call....why even during the day you would be lucky to get through.....

..unless he was doing something unlawful the bank should be responsible....

...he desperately banged on the ATM to try to get his card back at least....what else could he do.....

What's this assumption many are making that he was a tourist...he had a Thai wife so looks to me he might be living here. Evev if he wasn't, people shouldn't travel halfway around the world with only one ATM card to fund their travels! And in any case, damaging bank property isn't going to rectify the situation.

Damaging bank property isn't, you're right. So he should be arrested and charged if this is what he did. A 7 man, armed lynch mob is not going to rectify the situation either although you seem to condone it.

Please see my post above.

Another daft farang...like beating on an ATM machine has ever resulted in ones retained card being returned! I can imagine tue Thais probable said to him to go to the branch to report it and get another card and the victim using some choice words telling them to mind their own business. If he happened to include the "F" word among them this is what probably set them off.

They wouldn't have got aroused to anger by a goofy farang beating on a metal box alone.

Oh , so the F word inflames these pillars or society. for God's sake get a life. These scumbags, seven strong, who you appear to defend obtained glass bottles ,steel bars and wooden poles in order to show their dislike for the F word. You really need to get out more.

A fair fight is a rather quaint idea round these parts that has never really caught on. Winner takes all is much more popular.

You're quite right. But this seems to be common in parts of Asia: several on one. I'm sure this partly has historical roots (for example, in how single combat was glorified in Western Europe and even Japan, ideas of chivalry, etc.) But the notion of a 'fair fight' is not always cut and dried. Certainly, 7 on 1 is unequivocally unfair, especially when those 7 have weapons. But a Thai would probably not see as 'fair' a pair-up between a 180lb 5'10" guy and a 130lb 5'7" guy (typical of farang and thai). [Not surprising, then, that they feel the need to call on their buddies]. Then you get into differences such as whether kicking, etc., is 'acceptable' (it would be for many Asians but not for a lot of Westerners). So really, the notion of a 'fair fight' doesn't translate well at all across cultures.

I've never heard of this happening anywhere else in Thailand. I think it's part of the wider "Pattaya farang" hate syndrome that has swept across Thailand in the last few years. It used to be the "Farang kao san" that got spoken about as low class foreigners but now the focus is on those who live in or frequent Pattaya. It's understandable how this has happened when you consider the constant stream of stories involving booze, violence, hookers and foreigners that make the papers and online news sites.

Those who don't live in Pattaya and can speak Thai will understand what I'm talking about. Thai people try to figure out your class/status quickly, as is the norm in Thai society, and one question that often comes up now is "do you like Pattaya", or variations such as "have you been to Pattaya" or "did you meet your GF/wife in Pattaya" . If the answer is yes, you'll get a few friendly jokes about women thrown your way, but in terms of respect, you have just sealed your fate.

• Like 1

I've never heard of this happening anywhere else in Thailand. I think it's part of the wider "Pattaya farang" hate syndrome that has swept across Thailand in the last few years. It used to be the "Farang kao san" that got spoken about as low class foreigners but now the focus is on those who live in or frequent Pattaya. It's understandable how this has happened when you consider the constant stream of stories involving booze, violence, hookers and foreigners that make the papers and online news sites.

Those who don't live in Pattaya and can speak Thai will understand what I'm talking about. Thai people try to figure out your class/status quickly, as is the norm in Thai society, and one question that often comes up now is "do you like Pattaya", or variations such as "have you been to Pattaya" or "did you meet your GF/wife in Pattaya" . If the answer is yes, you'll get a few friendly jokes about women thrown your way, but in terms of respect, you have just sealed your fate.

Simples. Never leave Pattaya!

• Like 1

Another daft farang...like beating on an ATM machine has ever resulted in ones retained card being returned! I can imagine tue Thais probable said to him to go to the branch to report it and get another card and the victim using some choice words telling them to mind their own business. If he happened to include the "F" word among them this is what probably set them off.

They wouldn't have got aroused to anger by a goofy farang beating on a metal box alone.

Oh , so the F word inflames these pillars or society. for God's sake get a life. These scumbags, seven strong, who you appear to defend obtained glass bottles ,steel bars and wooden poles in order to show their dislike for the F word. You really need to get out more.

Nobody said they were pillars of society...usually just the opposite. Most of them are low educated issan lads, often with limited social and conflict resolution skills (like uneducated people the world over). Therefore, if one should find oneself in a confrontation with them it behooves one to walk away. Of course, all the tatted-up tourists and T-V posters will call you a coward for doing this but at least you won't find your picture in the paper looking like a cut-rate Egyptian mummy job.

As to the "F" word (and its variations and related finger gestures), anyone half clued in foreigner knows its a "fighting" word in Thailand. Just as in Thailand, there are certain verbal insults that if hurled between Thais immediately result in violence if not immediately retracted. It's the same in the West. Any boy/man knows that in the heat of an argument, if certain words or slurs are made against one's mother fists will fly. It's just not tolerated. Unfortunately, these trip-wires are culture specific...like my Brazilian friend told me never to make the "ok" sign (thumb and index finger touchimh in a circle) with my fingers in Brazil because there it's the F-you symbol. Something similar probably happened in this instance.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

What ever the reason, it comes down to that AGAIN Thais show that they always gang up towards farangs (whom provide them, much of their daily salary) where as the farang is out numbered. 7-1 is even extreme for Thais, usually it is "just" 4-5 Thais and 1 farang.

It is, I say again "What ever the reason", a very low and Thai thing and Thais should be ashamed about this or any other gang up against farangs.

Problems happen, come one on one or even 2 on one since farangs are usually bigger, but not 7 with weapons.

Thais will gang up on their own as well, not only against a farang.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Apparently the sight of a penis on a Thai is enough to justify a broken nose, according to most members on this forum, so I've got no problem with rude and obnoxious foreigners suffering a few bruises (if my theory is correct).

Not according to most members, what you should be saying is "...according to a very small minority of TV members,... This forum has more than 200,000 members according to the people that run it.

The nearby motorbike taxi riders 7 in total then came over and assaulted him until he was severely injured.

Monkey see - monkey do. Perhaps they thought he would spit out an ATM card as well.

Hey, Monkey didn't see anything and the only thing I was doing,

was having an ice cold Singha and eating bananas whistling.gif

So please, leave me out of it biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

• Like 1

I wasn't there and I wonder if any TVF posters were. It would be presumptuous to pass judgement on the injured party based on the scant story. I also don't know him and would refrain calling him juvenile-like names such as goofy and daft.

Conjecture, presumption, pseudo-detective work, quessing, imagining, fortune-telling and alcohol enhanced statements do nothing but cloud an already murky story.

Those that take pleasure in another's pain are indeed worthy of self inventory.

Think, Think, Think.