BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
george

Mobile Congestion Chaos In Thailand

2 weeks and I still haven't been able to contact my friend in Phuket. :o Are international calls even more impossible with this system dilemma?

Mobile congestion chaos in Thailand

post-128-1147618380_thumb.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Hard to call on your mobile? Network error?

You are not alone. To call an AIS number from a DTAC mobile or opposite is nearly impossible.

To call a landline from or to a Thai mobile is no success, since many days.

Thaivisa.com tried to connect this evening to several networks, but it's impossible.

A lot pf promotions from AIS, DTAC and True has made it impossible to call through these networks. It is a mess!

We have tried to get an answer from both AIS and DTAC Customer Services, the two leading mobile operators in Thailand. They refuse to speak with journalists.

Your comments and complaints here, please!

--thaivisa.com 2006-05-14

RELATED NEWS:

Too much promotions!

Higher Mobile Rates will solve the problems!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=68899

Mobile Phone Traffic Jam To Be Solved

Expansion of inter-network capacity

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=68615

typical bad, very bad management and (where I have seen that before?) taking ad-hoc decisions without overseeing the consequences or not being prepared!

In Europe such management was already sent home!

We have lost already business by not being reachable.

One of the problems is that the connection has been established for one second and cuts out right away. Who pais the first connection?

Very arrogant not willing to speak to journalists; very shortsighted!

Before we get the "Hounds and Flaming Torches" to go after the carriers, look carefully at the handset you are using.

Old Handsets and handsets with OEM equipment (O2, Blueberry etc) seem to be the most prone to trouble. The next handset problem is the new ones.....

...So please be careful before we go after the phone companies on this one. I know as a fact the links are very closely monitored, and their utilization is not as high as claimed in the media.

:o

I've been trying to contact a m8 on Samui for 3 days, even SMS don't get thru, either direction.

Only Skype seems to work, PC2PC. :o

it does take me a few times to connect to folks ... even AIS to AIS ... ugh!

The whole Thai telecomunication system is a joke and a farce.

And what about the users?

This time I won't judge, moralize or whatever. I'll just give some examples of the use of the NET in Thailand:

1. Appointment with 11 of my students for a night out to some restaurant. Appointment was made 2 weeks prior to the event, but on the moment itself, the 5 cars "talked" each other to their destination.

2. I receive phonecalls from people I don't know. People just dial a number and wait for some repsonse. Obviously these callers need some attention or just want to talk to someone!! My friend spent last Sunday almost 5 hours talking to someone who phoned me. I didn't know the person and passed the phone to my friend: they had a great time together.

3. Listen to a telephone conversation between Thais (I know, it's not appropriate) and you will hear a lot of 'replays'. It's for a lot of people not easy to communicate on the phone.

4. Driving and ........... well the law should do someting against it. As soon as people get into their car or onto their motorbike, they start making phonecalls.

5. At the beginning of my teaching career I asked my students to turn off their phones: 25% of them didn't come back after the first lesson. I don't ask it anymore; a phone is some kind of life line you shouldn't touch!

6. The sales manager in my company has 2 phones and he is always in a struggle with one of them; he must be very popular.

Just some examples of telephone use in Thailand and maybe some reasons for an overloaded network.

another point

not only is it difficult to make calls but once connected the voice quality has gone also, they seem have narrowed the bandwidth to an absolute minimum, if find it difficult to understand the other person it is so bad.

Edited by gharknes

another point

not only is it difficult to make calls but once connected the voice quality has gone also, they seem have narrowed the bandwidth to an absolute minimum, if find it difficult to understand the other person it is so bad.

I seem to have been cut off, I can only make emergency calls now, since June 1

I never did register my mobile SIM card on AIS, have they now finally got around to cutting me off??

Anyone know? Has this happened to others?

another point

I seem to have been cut off, I can only make emergency calls now, since June 1

I never did register my mobile SIM card on AIS, have they now finally got around to cutting me off??

Anyone know? Has this happened to others?

yes me and a few friends on 12call guess i have to go AIS tomorrow :o

yes me and a few friends on 12call guess i have to go AIS tomorrow :o

You may want to wait a day or two, AIS is DOWN right now. Not congested, its DOWN and has been since TR 5pm.

I was just at the JAY MART store and when I walked in and got the words "do you know why.." they started laughing and said 1 maybe 2 day.

Apparently people have been walking in all day asking them the same question.

I wouldnt be surprised if right now theres some poor fella sitting there shaking in his boots because he forgot to back up the data for the pre-paid accounts.

What a nightmare, it was kind of funny on the sky train tonight watching the people holding their phones in different positions in the hopes of finding a sweet spot.

Good luck :D

A bit of Thaksin satire for your entertainment...

As the Shin corporation beams microwaves into orbit to decay the orbit of Thailand communication satellites.... unsuspecting people in Thailand begin to experience communication failures.

Edited by john Krukowski

If ever there was a case where government should intervene this phone congestion business is it.

There is no doubt that the mobile phone system these days comes under the heading of an "essential service".

What is particularly galling is that 've just discovered these promotions are still being sold!

IMAGINE THAT!

It's not just Thailand with these problems, every telephone network in the world is configured in a way so there is a contention ratio, meaning only a certain amount of calls can occur which is a lot less than the level of actual subscribers. This could also happen to the fixed line network if half the people picked their phones up at once and tried to dial the other half that didn't (probably even less than half, maybe 30%)

Getting this ratio right is the hard part, but in this case it seems that there is no upgrading of trunks/base stations to cater for the rate at which calls can be sold.

Stopping the promotions now wont solve the problem overnight as once a habit is formed people usually still keep doing it, see any less cars on the road with the rise in petrol prices? so if phones rates went back up there is little chance of the problems going away so better we live with a highly congested network that is cheap to use rather than a highly congested network that is expensive.

And aren't these the littles quirks that just make Thailand that special place to be?

I'm on 12Call and have never had congestion, only a couple network failures for a few hours.