How I Really Ticked Off A Couple Thais

just plain different

To pass your driving test in The UK you must use the Mirror Signal Manouvre (MSM) sequence everytime before you change speed or direction. Failure to do so means you don't obtain a driving licence. Comments from posters that this is not possible suggests that those posters shouldn't bother trying to achieve the British driving licence.

British roads are generally narrower, more windy and have more things happening than the wide roads of N. America. It's a fair assumption that this experience helps to develop driving competence to a higher level than the non-challenging, everyone-has-an-automatic-gearbox roads of da usa.

I guess this is why, in general, British drivers are far more competent than North Americans.

Following your line of thinking, Thais must be among the worlds best drivers :o

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To pass your driving test in The UK you must use the Mirror Signal Manouvre (MSM) sequence everytime before you change speed or direction. Failure to do so means you don't obtain a driving licence. Comments from posters that this is not possible suggests that those posters shouldn't bother trying to achieve the British driving licence.

British roads are generally narrower, more windy and have more things happening than the wide roads of N. America. It's a fair assumption that this experience helps to develop driving competence to a higher level than the non-challenging, everyone-has-an-automatic-gearbox roads of da usa.

I guess this is why, in general, British drivers are far more competent than North Americans.

Why?

I've never seen Thais use the MSM sequence. But yes I do agree with you that their ability to cope with Thai roads is probably better than the yank's.

Why?

I've never seen Thais use the MSM sequence. But yes I do agree with you that their ability to cope with Thai roads is probably better than the yank's.

Or Brits

Why?

Let's see if I got this right. The Thais driving in Thailand on Thai rodes can cope better then the yanks? Why didn't I think of that. :o

Now put the Thai in any of the cities I mentioned before and see how well they cope. Don't forget left hand drive vs right hand drive also which means the brits don't have to learn a major difference of driving here. After driving here for 14 years I suspect I would have problems 'coping' with driving in the US now and especially going back to right hand drive rules. And I 'cope' very well here thank you.

Just because some idiot makes a choice through blind ignorance or pig obstinacy and decides not to follow the rules, there is never any excuse for you or me to not do so.

Perhaps I might put down some basic rules for safe defensive driving.

Visibility is everything. You must at all times ensure you can be seen and that you can see others in good time to take evasive action if required. “I didn’t see him/her” is NO excuse. Look – Look and Look again.

Mirrors

Check your mirrors before you signal, before you change direction or change lanes, and before you slow down or increase your speed.

Always check your mirrors before arriving at traffic lights or junctions.

If you can't see the mirrors of the bus, lorry or the van in front you are too close and the driver can't see you.

Always both use your mirrors and turn to check your blind spot before moving off or changing lanes.

Wherever possible, use mirrors in other vehicles to see if the driver has taken notice of you. (This is easier in cooler climes, where clearer glass is more common.

Lights/Visibility

It is normally safest to drive with side lights or dipped headlights on during daytime. Motorcycles should use dipped headlights. This enables other road users to see you more easily.

Never use fog lights when visibility is greater than 100 metres! Even more serious is the dazzling effect on the eyes of motorcyclists and the threat to their safety when fog lights are used inconsiderately.

The size of motorcycles can make their speed and distance difficult to judge. Make sure you double check for their presence particularly near junctions and roundabouts.

Speed

Always drive at a speed that is entirely safe for the circumstances and don't take chances.

Just doubling your speed, quadruples your braking distance.

Always ride or drive at a speed that enables you to stop safely (not suddenly), well within the distance you can see to be clear ahead of you and on your own side of the road.

Be patient with slower moving vehicles, lorries, etc;

Slow down for cyclists, pedestrians, horses, elephants and particularly children playing by the road etc. and give them plenty of room when you pass.

At 110 Km/h a vehicle travels at approximately 32 metres every second. Try and guess this distance when you are walking, see how long it takes you and then imagine that at 110 Km/h you will travel at least that distance BEFORE you even apply the brakes! At 50 Km/h a vehicle travels at approximately 14 metres per second.

Practise 'the 2 second rule' to check your following distance when travelling at speeds of 60 Km/h or more. How? Choose a fixed marker, when the vehicle in front passes it, say to your self 'Only a fool breaks the 2 second rule'. If you arrive at the marker while saying the phrase you are too close and need to drop back. Have another go until you get it right; and yes, you will be surprised at the distance from the vehicle in front; and no, you are not too far away!

Collisions

One third of collisions involve a vehicle hitting another from the rear. To motorcyclists, being hit at the rear by another vehicle can cause crippling or fatal injury, particularly in Thailand, where so few wear helmets. Always keep a safe distance from the vehicle in front, particularly motorcycles.

Overtaking

Be especially careful before and during overtaking. Do not overtake if you can't see well into the distance. DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT OVERTAKE on, or near bends, junctions and brows of hills.

Phone use

Do not use a mobile 'phone when driving. The number of other collisions has been impossible to estimate! In Europe, using a mobile phone when driving is frequently regarded as being as irresponsible as drink driving and new tougher laws are on their way to protect responsible motorists, pedestrians and motorcyclists from mobile phone use when driving.

Traffic Lights

Do not 'jump' traffic lights.

Remember, amber means stop unless you will be involved in an accident. Remember also that red and amber does NOT mean go!

Do not vent your frustration towards other road users. You may make a mistake you will regret for the rest of your life.

Driver Attitude

The five principle points that make up what is known as 'Driver Attitude' are: Concentration, Anticipation, Responsibility, Confidence and Patience.

Be as nice in the car as you are out of it. Everyone gets home far more safely that way.

OTE(Loaded @ 2006-05-20 14:14:58) *

QUOTE(Ajarn @ 2006-05-20 12:17:18) *

QUOTE(Loaded @ 2006-05-20 11:28:50) *

Following your line of thinking, Thais must be among the worlds best drivers whistling.gif

Why?

Or Brits

Seems some cannot read as well :o

Just because some idiot makes a choice through blind ignorance or pig obstinacy and decides not to follow the rules, there is never any excuse for you or me to not do so.

Couldn't agree more P1P. One case of when in Rome don't do what the Romans do.

OTE(Loaded @ 2006-05-20 14:14:58) *

QUOTE(Ajarn @ 2006-05-20 12:17:18) *

QUOTE(Loaded @ 2006-05-20 11:28:50) *

Following your line of thinking, Thais must be among the worlds best drivers whistling.gif

Why?

Or Brits

Seems some cannot read as well :o

What, pray tell, did I miss?

(My, there sure are a few Trolls on this topic :D )

:o

I'll let you know about the diving in Krabi this week ..... just some casual shallow dives I think :D

<and byte me over the typo!>

Edited by jdinasia