Stricter requirements, new application forms for ED visa extensions

ED VISA ABUSE

Stricter requirements, new application forms for ED visa extensions

BANGKOK: -- The Ministry of Eduction (MOE) yesterday announced new, stricter requirements for Education visa extensions.

New application forms for education visa extensions have just been released.

The new requirements are:

1. Two year visa history of the student now required (currently only required for applications submitted in Bangkok)

2. Extra documents required

• Proof of income. (to see if the student can support themselves and not work illegally)
  • Reason for long stay in Thailand, if extended time in Thailand prior to application. ( to check the student is not just a visa runner who cannot get any more tourists visas.)

Pending applications must be resubmitted using the new forms.

The new forms, which are mandatory,"Personal history check" and "Purpose of attending the course" are available for download here:

app_1.pdf

app_purpose_1.pdf

The ED visa system has been scrutinised by The Thai Immigration Bureau and Ministry of Education for a long time, and it's widely known that foreigners have been abusing the ED visa system. Thaivisa.com believe the new, stricter requirements is to prevent applicants using ED visas to work illegally in Thailand.

Thaivisa.com thanks Walen School of Thai for pointing out these new requirements.

tvn.png
-- 2013-12-24

• Like 2

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This will effectively kill the ED business. If for example a book author, receiving money from abroad. What is his status?

He or she cannot get a work permit because the business has nothing to do with Thailand. The same with thousands of different freelancers out there, not working locally.

What if you have your own savings but the form asks for "the person who is supporting you financially". Then if you have a person, for example your wealthy uncle in Italy, who does not speak English. They are going to call him and speak Italian?

Edited by Timwin
  • Like 2

This will effectively kill the ED business. If for example a book author, receiving money from abroad. What is his status?

He or she cannot get a work permit because the business has nothing to do with Thailand. The same with thousands of different freelancers out there, not working locally.

What if you have your own savings but the form asks for "the person who is supporting you financially". Then if you have a person, for example your wealthy uncle in Italy, who does not speak English. They are going to call him and speak Italian?

That's why Embassy's & Consulates are for...., they have people who speak/ understand local languages .

• Like 1

Surely the only real surprise about this is that it didn't happen sooner? The writing has been on the blackboard for ages.

That comes as Language schools put too much t the visa as publicity and second only the language teaching ........some are to money hungry , it comes as no surprise those new requirements..,.more discreet publicity would have avoid this

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

"Then if you have a person, for example your wealthy uncle in Italy ..."

I'm sure that effect thousands as well. All these hypothetical problems may negatively impact some of those who are abusing the system, but those who come here for a year or two to actually study should not have a problem. If you are a student who has no intention of working here and who isn't trying to avoid the financial requirements for other visas/extensions, then you ought to be able to provide evidence of financial resources that will keep you afloat while "hitting the books."

The increased scrutiny is a result of all those who are abusing the system, not some arbitrary whim on the part of the government. Once again, everyone in the world who wants to stay long term in Thailand is not going to be entitled to. Laws are made to serve the best interest of Thailand, not to ensure that everyone in the world who want to come here will be able to.

How often on the Thai Visa forum do posters say they can't qualify for this or that sort of visa or extension and the "helpful" response is usually, "get a ED Visa."

You have to believe that someone in Immigrations reads at least some of these threads here and on other websites that offer suggestions on how to circumvent the rules, whether it's using ED visas when you have no real desire to study or fabricating your level of pension income on an affidavit or travelling to certain neighboring countries that allow serial visa applications ...

You can almost predict where the next crackdown will occur based on what strategies are endorsed here. Rather than blame the Immigrations people, it's the rule-benders who make it more difficult for all of us including those who are playing the game by the rules,

Almost certainly another area that will be "adjusted" before much longer will be proof of income and financial resources to support marriage and retirement extensions. Questions (and "solutions") about those requirements are posted here daily. Big Brother is watching.

How often on the Thai Visa forum do posters say they can't qualify for this or that sort of visa or extension and the "helpful" response is usually, "get a ED Visa."

--------------------------------------

Exactly.

You just say that you are supporting yourself. Then if they want proof show some form of proof that you have funds coming into the country from abroad. The best proof would be a Thai bank book showing transfers in.

This is going to really hurt a lot of English Teachers that have been using the ED visa while they teach.

The only income they have is teaching but they are not going to be able to show it.

This is also going to mean more work for Embassies as they are going to have to verify the income much like they do for us younger folk.

Should be interesting to see how this works out.

I agree though with all the abuse it is about time they did something to resolve the abuse.

• Like 2

I've heard this was coming. Here's a real beauty. I'm a Buddhist monk. In the past, I was given a "R" visa for religious study's. Now they are giving foreign monks, yep, you got it, a "ED" visa.. and asking us for proof of income.. we're monks, we don't have an income.. WTH. blink.png

I missed that they are now giving monks an ED visa. Interesting.

But I think/hope that for monks they will make exeptions and you instead show proof from the abot thay you will stay at the temple and live as a monk.

Correct!!! The rule benders always ruin it for the people that do it the correct way.
So now.... you cannot even work part time? What about Foreign exchange students?
I actually want to get a ED visa but it looks like I am tooooooo late.

I speak Thai but I will need more than my GF to help teach me how to read it.
Though, Language schools are also good for Japanese and Chinese .....sometimes.

Proof of income? Aren't they studying, and not working?

Income from outside Thailand is what they want to see.

Correct. How can you study whatever in a foreign country and not have sufficient funds in which to live in that country. The income therefore needs to originate from outside Thailand.