Stricter requirements, new application forms for ED visa extensions

Reports from a friend who was extending a tourist visa for +30 days in Isaan.. He was grilled on source of funds, over an extension, and told not to come back to immigration and they would not extend any further tourist visas for him in that office.

So thats a legit issued visa, being extended, not a land border.. and still being given 'final warnings'.

• Like 1

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How long does it generally take to get the issued paperwork for an ed. visa inside Thailand once you satisfy the self support funds and other requirements ?

How long is that piece of paperwork vaild for...e.g. would it be valid 3 weeks after it getting issued in Thailand ?

Edited by freedomnow

How long does it generally take to get the issued paperwork for an ed. visa inside Thailand once you satisfy the self support funds and other requirements ?

How long is that piece of paperwork vaild for...e.g. would it be valid 3 weeks after it getting issued in Thailand ?

For the ED visa it should not take all that long to get. I would think the paperwork would be valid for 3 weeks.

Then once you have the visa entry there will more paperwork needed for the extension of stay,

Amazing Thailand! They make it harder and harder for me to live here and dump my money into the their economy. When will realize that there are people in this world who are under 50 yrs old and don't have to work?

There is another rumour that retirement visas will be starting again at 55. I believe it was this age in the past and it was lowered to 50.

Wow - that would cause a meltdown of TV !!! It is - as you know - an 'Extension based on retirement' - no such thing as a 'Retirement Visa', strictly speaking ! (i see the accusations of pedantry coming over the horizon...)

The non immigrant OA is a retirement visa no ?? Alternatively the non imm O issued on the basis of retirement but that is a regular non imm.

UK now saying 65 for these classes.

You just say that you are supporting yourself. Then if they want proof show some form of proof that you have funds coming into the country from abroad. The best proof would be a Thai bank book showing transfers in.

This is going to really hurt a lot of English Teachers that have been using the ED visa while they teach.

The only income they have is teaching but they are not going to be able to show it.

This is also going to mean more work for Embassies as they are going to have to verify the income much like they do for us younger folk.

Should be interesting to see how this works out.

I agree though with all the abuse it is about time they did something to resolve the abuse.

If you have an ED Visa, you cannot work. So teachers, must get a Visa accordingly to the reason they stay in Thailand, that clearly is NOT an ED Visa.

Well then the schools had better start issuing work permits. I still.don't understand how it has become the norm for foreigners to work in Thailand with no permit.

Why does it need a visa.change to enforce this. Just check permits of foreigners who are working.

• Like 1

I've signed up an account because I'm interested in studying Thai language in the near future.

Read through a few threads but couldn't make sense of some visa requirements.

My interpretation of info so far is that a foreigner in Thailand should not be working (whether locally or online) without a WP, but how would then would one generate "a source of income" for the ED-visa?

Or do "income" here simply means sufficient bank savings rather than a constant monthly inflow of money?

Isn't this then contradictory since, as a foreigner staying in Thailand more than six months, you have to pay tax?

Do any of you know someone currently getting rejected for being here on a tourist visa for 2 years prior to the education visa application ?

i mean not what you guess, based on the new procedure info, but straight from a friend or a posted info elsewhere...wai2.gif

I am applying for an ED visa in Penang tomorrow. I already have my supporting documents from the language school/MoE etc.

Can I check if the actual visa application form to be completed at the consulate differs from previously, or can be downloaded and completed prior to visiting the consulate?

Simon

I am curious, as to what may happen in the future regarding ED Visas, and how these might become much more difficult to obtain.

I've seen that there are what appears to be questionable ethics regarding how to get a longer stay in Thailand, by going down the ED visa route.

What will happen to those people who have paid money up front to some of these establishments, and then find that immigration start clamping down on what appears to be a questionable route for many to staying longer here in Thailand?

• Like 1

and then find that immigration start clamping down on what appears to be a questionable route for many to staying longer here in Thailand?

If you are attending the lessons, then what is questionable about it?

If you're attending Thai language lessons, expect questions in Thai when you attend immigration or the consulate.

If you're studying Muay Thai or Thai cooking, I have no idea how they will confirm that you are actually attending lessons.

I'm learning Chinese, and am happy for my language knowledge to be tested.

But IMHO, I think that the issue of ED visas for Muay Thai, cookery lessons etc may be curtailed.

and then find that immigration start clamping down on what appears to be a questionable route for many to staying longer here in Thailand?

If you're attending Thai language lessons, expect questions in Thai when you attend immigration or the consulate.

If you're studying Muay Thai or Thai cooking, I have no idea how they will confirm that you are actually attending lessons.

But IMHO, I think that the issue of ED visas for Muay Thai, cookery lessons etc may be curtailed.

Well, that is my question really, how will they ascertain that the person is attending? I think it's a grey area - that may well be looked at in much more detail, especially with private establishments. Bit different is someone is enrolled at a University

Well, that is my question really, how will they ascertain that the person is attending? I think it's a grey area - that may well be looked at in much more detail, especially with private establishments. Bit different is someone is enrolled at a University

Somebody should write a letter to the Immigration people.

My friend MRTOAD, he must be a bit busy ATM, but he'd be a perfect person for the job.

My friend MRTOAD, he must be a bit busy ATM, but he'd be a perfect person for the job.

who is mrtoad?

who is mrtoad?

He's a smart Thai business man, probably well enough qualified to keep someone like you inline Young gobbler.

I'm starting to suspect you are stalking me ?

I am curious, as to what may happen in the future regarding ED Visas, and how these might become much more difficult to obtain.

I've seen that there are what appears to be questionable ethics regarding how to get a longer stay in Thailand, by going down the ED visa route.

What will happen to those people who have paid money up front to some of these establishments, and then find that immigration start clamping down on what appears to be a questionable route for many to staying longer here in Thailand?

The logical way of clamping down on the ED visas isn't in testing whether or not every single person attends the lessons, it's demanding fulltime courses only (say 30+ hrs/week) for yearly visas. As there already is, with some caveats, a 100k THB/year Elite visa, pushing years' worth of education price past 100-120k mark would make it useless for any people not intending to attend the course.

• Like 2

This topic is about MOE forms needed for extensions of stay.

The visa application form for the Penang consulate should be the same as before. pdf.gif Penang.pdf

Sorry, just to confirm, the application for a new ed. visa is different to the OP #1 ?

I'm about to apply for an ed. visa soon and worried what would happen if I handed over a year's fee for a school then get rejected for whatever reason on first application. I have resided in Thailand 2 years prior to this coming application, living off my own savings and have no history of living here prior to that.

• Like 1

The visa application form for the Penang consulate should be the same as before. pdf.gif Penang.pdf

Sorry, just to confirm, the application for a new ed. visa is different to the OP #1 ?

I'm about to apply for an ed. visa soon and worried what would happen if I handed over a year's fee for a school then get rejected for whatever reason on first application. I have resided in Thailand 2 years prior to this coming application, living off my own savings and have no history of living here prior to that.

The OP #1 is for getting documents needed for the first extension of stay at immigration. It does not pertain to getting a non-ed visa at an embassy or consulate that is required to apply for the extension.

The OP #1 is for getting documents needed for the first extension of stay at immigration. It does not pertain to getting a non-ed visa at an embassy or consulate that is required to apply for the extension.

Aaaaah, because I need to get a visa-free entry this week before applying with a school here which will take about 20 days of a 30-day free overland re-entry.

So then I could get an ed visa OK outside Thailand initially but after 3 months they could say "Sorry we think you are working here etc" i have enough savings to support myself way beyond the 1 year ed visa anyway and I saved all money deposits documentation from outside Thailand from day 1 arrival in Thailand...... I just worry I will hand over 30k for a school then lose the visa 3 months later for whatever reason.....

Edited by freedomnow

• 2 weeks later...

You just say that you are supporting yourself. Then if they want proof show some form of proof that you have funds coming into the country from abroad. The best proof would be a Thai bank book showing transfers in.

What if I pay one year's rent in advance and show the receipts? And also show some cash or a receipt of currency exchange of 100 thousand baht or something like that? Will that work?

I am really worried. I want to stay in Thailand and also learn the language so that I can get a job here in the future. I wanted to actually go to school and actually attend the courses. Does this mean that because of criminals who abuse the system I will now have trouble studying? If I have to stay here for 2 years before I can study and I cannot do it on tourist visas then how is it even possible? Or that I will have to move somewhere else? I don't understand.

• Like 1

I have seen not reports of anybody being denied the paperwork from the MOE since these new forms were put into use.

The school will help with the paperwork and will know what is needed.

No need to worry about it.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This will effectively kill the ED business. If for example a book author, receiving money from abroad. What is his status?

He or she cannot get a work permit because the business has nothing to do with Thailand. The same with thousands of different freelancers out there, not working locally.

What if you have your own savings but the form asks for "the person who is supporting you financially". Then if you have a person, for example your wealthy uncle in Italy, who does not speak English. They are going to call him and speak Italian?

As an author you can get a media visa as long as you've been published at least 3 times in the last year. It's a bit more difficult for a debut novelist, but after you've published at least something, it shouldn't be too difficult to get another essay or two in either an online or small print publication.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! Great input on this thread so far! I wonder if anyone can give me some additional fill on a case.

I'm studying at Thammasat University and have a 12 Month Multiple Entry which I got at the Embassy in Berlin. Easy process.

It will expire (last entry) at the end of July and I'm on the brink of deciding to extend it here locally or just get a clean new Visa in Berlin again (which was 130 EUR plus Agency/shipping fees).

Q: Would an extension for another year come with the same Multiple Entry function or do I have to obtain that separately? That is really the key part for me because I travel quiet frequently for both work and pleasure. Generally I hate dealing with this office here, I was there once before to extend my first 3 Months ED Visa (which was suggested to me by the consulate in Vancouver) and it was a disaster after which I got a clean sheet one in Germany.

Before speculation comes up, this is a legitimate and degree earning course costing me almost half a million THB over the 2.5 years period so no funny business. :)

On a side note for you guys: If you are eligible to apply for a Visa at the Embassy in Berlin, Germany it is possible to obtain a 12 Months ED Visa there. Not sure how that goes when you attend a language school but for 'real' Universities it's not a problem. In theory all EU citizen are free to roam around in all EU countries but if applying for Visa or other formalities you are often required to show a local residence registration. Didn't apply to me as I had a local german passport but maybe for some fellow europeans this could be useful!

Cheers!

If you get an extension of stay at immigration you would need a re-entry permit if you want to travel. A single entry costs 1000 baht and a multiple is 3800 baht. Both would be valid for the length of you extension.

With the proper documents from the university it should not any problem to get the extension of stay.

If you get an extension of stay at immigration you would need a re-entry permit if you want to travel. A single entry costs 1000 baht and a multiple is 3800 baht. Both would be valid for the length of you extension.

With the proper documents from the university it should not any problem to get the extension of stay.

Thanks for the info!

These need to be obtained separately?

So that's 1900 for the initial extension application plus 3,800 for the Multiple entry? That would be the same as a new visa outright plus the PITA of having to deal with them. :(

Thanks for the info!

These need to be obtained separately?

So that's 1900 for the initial extension application plus 3,800 for the Multiple entry? That would be the same as a new visa outright plus the PITA of having to deal with them. sad.png

You apply for them separately. You can apply for the re-entry permit as soon as you have the extension and it could be done in the same trip to immigration.

I don't know what the problem was when (or where) you applied before but as I said it should not be a problem it you have the correct documents.

If you got a new multiple entry visa you have to factor in a long trip to get it because you will not get one anywhere nearby. Plus of course the trips out of the country every 90 days.

You apply for them separately. You can apply for the re-entry permit as soon as you have the extension and it could be done in the same trip to immigration.

I don't know what the problem was when (or where) you applied before but as I said it should not be a problem it you have the correct documents.

If you got a new multiple entry visa you have to factor in a long trip to get it because you will not get one anywhere nearby. Plus of course the trips out of the country every 90 days.

I think there was some problem that they did not want to grant the multiple entry which is a deal breaker for me as i need to leave at least once a month. At that time I could have said I'm doing everything on a regular tourist visa as I'm never here for more than 4 weeks anyway but I'm not a fan of staying in a country longterm without proper documentation.

The application process for the new visa would actually be done by mail and in germany we are allowed to hold multiple passports (I have three right now) so that's not an issue. We shall see!

Thanks again for the info, I will take the economics and effort into account!

This is foolish. How can someone expect to have a Bank account in Thailand who is supposed to visit the country for the first time?

Any other proof of income, like savings bank ac. in home country, currency at hand (show money), FD proofs from native bank is a logical solution.