Stricter requirements, new application forms for ED visa extensions

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

I've signed up an account because I'm interested in studying Thai language in the near future.

Read through a few threads but couldn't make sense of some visa requirements.

My interpretation of info so far is that a foreigner in Thailand should not be working (whether locally or online) without a WP, but how would then would one generate "a source of income" for the ED-visa?

Or do "income" here simply means sufficient bank savings rather than a constant monthly inflow of money?

Income can be savings in your home country or what you have brought into a bank here. For some it could be pension or disability income and etc.

Income could be from any source from outside the country.

This is gonna cause massive problems for some people. Not to mention learning centres disappearing fast! How do Walen aim to make life easier for its students and customers? Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Maybe the Learning centers should concentrate more on the learning/school part of their business, instead of the visa part

A bank statement would be accepted as long as there is enough to support yourself for a extended period of time.

Thanks for the quick replies. Much appreciated.

Proof of income? Aren't they studying, and not working?

How can you study in a foreign country without money or income?

Perhaps the concern is on the term "income", which could be interpreted as a "monthly inflow of money from employment", in which case would sound contradictory to a ED Visa terms.

Hard to believe or not, many freelancers use this ED visa to stay and work illegally.

The problem is that ED visa does not allow to work, as in other countries like in Europe and the US.

If the ED visa was harder to get, but at the same time allowed to work maybe 10-20 hours a week, would be good and help people get their legal status.

but, again, this can be abused too. and I think the system in Thailand is not ready for this.

If you are in the US on a Education Visa you cannot work. The immigration service will issue you a social security card but on it will be stamped cannot work. I know this because of a Kiwi who went to University with my son and he had a social security card stamped as I explained. He did work some odd jobs for cash but it was illegal.

I was an international student studying in the USA on a student visa. The rules at the time stated that you could only work on-campus and even then permission would be required from the international office (who liaise with immigration). Off-campus work is forbidden, although there are clauses that allow international students to work in internships required as part of their studies, but this would likely only be a one off during the entire study period and short term (up to 3 months).

So anyone experienced problems with new rules?

mataleo

Yup, was stopped at immigration on a one year ED visa the other day and put through the paces. They eventually let me enter but I'm thinking that they are putting the new policies in place.

If you claim you learn Thai you need to be able to speak enough to demonstrate that you really learn this language. For example what is your name or where are you from. After learning for a year it should not be a problem, right? Don't abuse the system. Also if you make a thousand trips per year you may not look like a genuine student, also some may have dodgy ED visas issued unofficially without any registration with a certified school done by some "lawyers". If you do things legally and learn Thai as you are supposed to, you should not have any problems.

If you claim you learn Thai you need to be able to speak enough to demonstrate that you really learn this language. For example what is your name or where are you from. After learning for a year it should not be a problem, right? Don't abuse the system. Also if you make a thousand trips per year you may not look like a genuine student, also some may have dodgy ED visas issued unofficially without any registration with a certified school done by some "lawyers". If you do things legally and learn Thai as you are supposed to, you should not have any problems.

Yes this isn't all that new either. I remember a post here a year or two back when I guy was challenged on his third Ed Visa - the Thai Immigration Officer prompted him, "Plah yai gin plah lek" - simple statement, anyone been studying more than a few months should be able to give a reply - after 2 years, should expect an humorous or deeper answer than just agreement.

Edited by wolf5370

So anyone experienced problems with new rules?

mataleo

Yup, was stopped at immigration on a one year ED visa the other day and put through the paces. They eventually let me enter but I'm thinking that they are putting the new policies in place.

That is because you apparently have a multiple entry non-ed visa. That can be issued for many types of study not just language.

Some people have been able to get them with just enrollment paperwork and have never spent a day in any kind of school that is why immigration will pull a person to the side to talk to them.