Stricter requirements, new application forms for ED visa extensions

You just say that you are supporting yourself. Then if they want proof show some form of proof that you have funds coming into the country from abroad. The best proof would be a Thai bank book showing transfers in.

This is foolish. How can someone expect to have a Bank account in Thailand who is supposed to visit the country for the first time?

Any other proof of income, like savings bank ac. in home country, currency at hand (show money), FD proofs from native bank is a logical solution.

The financial proof is only needed to get the documents required to get and extension of stay not for getting the ED visa from an embassy or consulate.

By they time the first extension is done a person could have a bank account opened.

The school will know what is needed to get the paperwork done.

• Like 1
  • Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You just say that you are supporting yourself. Then if they want proof show some form of proof that you have funds coming into the country from abroad. The best proof would be a Thai bank book showing transfers in.

What if I pay one year's rent in advance and show the receipts? And also show some cash or a receipt of currency exchange of 100 thousand baht or something like that? Will that work?

I am really worried. I want to stay in Thailand and also learn the language so that I can get a job here in the future. I wanted to actually go to school and actually attend the courses. Does this mean that because of criminals who abuse the system I will now have trouble studying? If I have to stay here for 2 years before I can study and I cannot do it on tourist visas then how is it even possible? Or that I will have to move somewhere else? I don't understand.

This sounds crazy. Now I am getting confused and kindly someone please help me clear out my confusion.

I wish to apply for an ED Visa for 3-6 months to Learn Thai Language. I have good intentions to study and learn the language so that i can communicate with the Thais while in Thailand. And for the purpose, I have no foolish intention to work since I can well support myself for more than a year or beyond that period. I have been visiting multiple countries right now, having visited Hong Kong 4-5 in last few years, China, and visited Thailand twice since then on visa-on-arrival. I never had an extension anywhere.

What am I supposed to do now? If I apply for a language course and pay up front the fees, and then if my visa gets rejected for some silly reasons, how am I supposed to deal with it?

If you only want to go to school for a few months you could try to get a 2 entry tourist visa that would give you abut 6 months of stay. You don't need a ED visa to attend school.

• Like 1

This is foolish. How can someone expect to have a Bank account in Thailand who is supposed to visit the country for the first time?

Any other proof of income, like savings bank ac. in home country, currency at hand (show money), FD proofs from native bank is a logical solution.

|The financial proof is only needed to get the documents required to get and extension of stay not for getting the ED visa from an embassy or consulate.

By they time the first extension is done a person could have a bank account opened.

The school will know what is needed to get the paperwork done.|

Thanks for the great info. So as far as I can understand, for the first time when I apply for my ED Visa, how can I convince them that I have a genuine interest in learning Thai, and that too, I would be able to support myself through self-financing? My course length is 3-6 months. What financial proof do I need to show them for my initial Visa? I never studied in Thailand, so please provide some further details.

If you only want to go to school for a few months you could try to get a 2 entry tourist visa that would give you abut 6 months of stay. You don't need a ED visa to attend school.

First thing:

Now this is getting a bit complicated. How am I supposed to "study" in Bangkok without a student/ ED visa? Wouldn't that be illegal?

Secondly:

Considering that my course is just for 3-6 months duration, and I am from the Indian subcontinent who are only eligible for visa-on-arrival not extending 14 days, could really help manage to secure a tourist visa for 6 months?

We don't get a 3-month tourist visa-- a maximum of 30 days tourist visa we might generally obtain if we apply from our country.

|The financial proof is only needed to get the documents required to get and extension of stay not for getting the ED visa from an embassy or consulate.

The school will know what is needed to get the paperwork done.|

Thanks for the great info. So as far as I can understand, for the first time when I apply for my ED Visa, how can I convince them that I have a genuine interest in learning Thai, and that too, I would be able to support myself through self-financing? My course length is 3-6 months. What financial proof do I need to show them for my initial Visa? I never studied in Thailand, so please provide some further details.

You will not need financial proof to apply for the ED visa at an embassy or consulate unless the they ask to see the standard 20,000 baht proof needed for all visas. See:http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

As I said in my previous post you could get a tourist visa and attend a school.

• Like 1

You will not need financial proof to apply for the ED visa at an embassy or consulate unless the they ask to see the standard 20,000 baht proof needed for all visas. See:http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

-------

^Ooops, that's not correct. According to the new visa regulation, you must carry at least Baht 20,000/ or equivalent to prove you can support yourself while in Thailand for the entire period of you study. And you are not supposed to study without a student visa obtained from your Consulate. This would be illegal. That's the reason the Thai immigration is cracking down on Language schools who offer short cuts.

Edited by ubonjoe
moved reply from quoted text

-------

^Ooops, that's not correct. According to the new visa regulation, you must carry at least Baht 20,000/ or equivalent to prove you can support yourself while in Thailand for the entire period of you study. And you are not supposed to study without a student visa obtained from your Consulate. This would be illegal. That's the reason the Thai immigration is cracking down on Language schools who offer short cuts.

There is no such rule that you have to carry 20k baht or some form of financial poof with you at all times

A ED visa is not required to attend a school. There is no rule, law or regulation that says you have to have an ED visa.

The ED visa and extension of stay for going to school is just a way to get a permit to stay in the country.

You can pay for 6 months and get a ED Visa at some schools..

Edit: wrong site sorry, but there are Schools do a search......... this one ? http://www.tls-bangkok.com/english/ed-visa-1/

http://www.tls-bangkok.com/english/ed-visa-1/

...We are very sorry but please contact us if you are a national of one of the countries below;

(We may not be able to issue visa )

1. Bahrain 2. Bangladesh 3. India 4. Iran 5. Israel 6. Kuwait 7. Nepal 8. Iraq 9. Oman

10. Pakistan 11. Qatar 12. Saudi Arabia 13. United Arab Emirates 14. Sri Lankan 15. Turkey

and African countries.
^ What does it mean? Students from the above countries are not eligible for ED Visa?

Because those people from some of those countries can only get a visa from their home country.

Just do what it says and contact them to see what they can do.

Does anyone know anyone who has actually had to turn in these new forms? I have had two extensions since the changes were announced and there has been no change in the forms I turn in, or changes in the procedure at the immigration office.

I also asked my school about any new forms I might need when I do the renewal, they said nothing but new photos needed.

The owner of the school I am at (I actually go to class and study BTW) says the new folks in charge have been backing off on some of the proposed crackdowns. FWIW

Does anyone know anyone who has actually had to turn in these new forms? I have had two extensions since the changes were announced and there has been no change in the forms I turn in, or changes in the procedure at the immigration office.

I also asked my school about any new forms I might need when I do the renewal, they said nothing but new photos needed.

The owner of the school I am at (I actually go to class and study BTW) says the new folks in charge have been backing off on some of the proposed crackdowns. FWIW

If you have done 2 extensions you must have been studying for at least 6 months, right ? Did you have to do a Min. of Ed test ? As I asked in another thread http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/737995-ed-visa-moe-test-after-6-months/ the office girls at my school tell me I have to do a test soon, but from previous experience I'm not sure if they know what they are talking about (see that thread). Nobody has answered my query yet, so I'm beginning to think nobody else has done this supposed test at 6 months and the office girls are talking rubbish.

• Like 1

If you have done 2 extensions you must have been studying for at least 6 months, right ? Did you have to do a Min. of Ed test ? As I asked in another thread http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/737995-ed-visa-moe-test-after-6-months/ the office girls at my school tell me I have to do a test soon, but from previous experience I'm not sure if they know what they are talking about (see that thread). Nobody has answered my query yet, so I'm beginning to think nobody else has done this supposed test at 6 months and the office girls are talking rubbish.

Yeah I have been in school for close to a year now. I'm gonna ask again at school tomorrow.

On a positive note, all this has inspired me to be a more diligent student and study harder. Nothing like a little fear to put a fire under your ass 555

• Like 1

I apologize in advance if the answer was given somewhere in the 13 pages of this thread.

Has these new application forms been released yet? Or is there a date that they should be in use ?

Thank you