BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
george

Stricter requirements, new application forms for ED visa extensions

it's free interpretation from your part, I don't think that's going to help anyone.

My friend was interviewed in Thai and had to prove his Japanese abilities (he was learning Japanese), but because they can't speak Japanese, they could not interviewed him in Japanese and lose face.

So they questioned him in Thai (his Thai is crap),got a "pass" so he can continue learning Japanese. That makes no sense to anyone, not to the school, not to the student and not to the MOE either, and that shows and the "Prove me you are actually attending classes" game is just OVER.

Everyone passes the test.

My interpretation of what you're saying is that there is no need to go to classes as long as you can prove you're able to support yourself without illegally working in Thailand.

If that's what you are saying then I wouldn't call it unhelpful, I'd call it downright dangerous & would urge anybody who's on an ED visa (especially one related to a Thai subject which I'm sure the vast majority are) to think again before heeding it.

But good luck anyway [emoji106]

Please give ONE name of a school that rats on its students and tell immigration when they don't attend so they lose their visa.

I’m not suggesting schools actively rat on their students, but if MOE/Immigration asked to see attendance records are you suggesting that there are schools that will provide them with false data? Wait, don’t answer that, I’m sure there are! But obviously not all schools would, so if you attend (or not as the case may be) one of these, it would be easy for them to work it out for themselves.

If you’re studying Thai language, Thai Cooking or even Muay Thai then it’s obviously a lot easier for MOE/Immigration to work out whether you’ve been attending/studying or not, whether this results in a denied/cancelled Renewal/Extension or not I’ve no idea, but with the crackdown on “Out/In” Visa runners & a tightening in issuing Tourist Visa I think most people believe the ED Visa is next so would you really want to risk yours on not attending a class for 4 hours a week? – Up To You smile.png

Maybe the answer is to select something that they’re unlikely to be able to give you a proficiency test on (e.g. Japanese, Chinese etc…) or even something that you’re already a lot more proficient in than would be expected from attending school.

You don't get it do you?

The all thing is a scam.

it's hypocritical to accuse the students, they are the juicy goose, everyone feeds upon.

Oh I get it & nobody is accusing real or bogus students of anything, but would suggest that if they're clamping down on out/in visa (exempt) runners & people getting back-2-back tourist visas then it's inevitable that they'll look at the other visas with ED being the obvious one & one that seems to be being abused so there's a fair case for looking at it.

How much money people have seems to be largely irrelevant unless you're going for an Investment visa or a Thai Elite cars.

Oh I get it & nobody is accusing real or bogus students of anything, but would suggest that if they're clamping down on out/in visa (exempt) runners & people getting back-2-back tourist visas then it's inevitable that they'll look at the other visas with ED being the obvious one & one that seems to be being abused so there's a fair case for looking at it.

How much money people have seems to be largely irrelevant unless you're going for an Investment visa or a Thai Elite cars.

Every one is accusing so called bogus students ALL THE TIME here on Thaivisa.

The abuse of visa is a myth, if they really wanted "bogus students" out, it would be very easy for immigration: Just send immigration officers to check on bogus ghost schools, and close them down, it would take one month two at the most. Done. End of story.

The abuse of visa is a myth, if they really wanted "bogus students" out, it would be very easy for immigration: Just send immigration officers to check on bogus ghost schools, and close them down, it would take one month two at the most. Done. End of story.

I guess many schools got good ties with immigration and that..
  • Like 1

Sorry, you were the one advocating that people didn't need to attend class, just needed to be able to show enough monies/income to prove that they weren't working illegally in Thailand, surely that is an abuse of the ED Visa!

Again, my #personal# view is that if you're on an ED visa u should 1) be able to prove you can support yourself without having to work in Thailand, 2) (as a minimum) meet the hours of study criteria & be ready to demonstrate this.

& again, if you're view is different then Up-2-You... Good luck [emoji4][emoji106]

Sorry, you were the one advocating that people didn't need to attend class, just needed to be able to show enough monies/income to prove that they weren't working illegally in Thailand, surely that is an abuse of the ED Visa!

Again, my #personal# view is that if you're on an ED visa u should 1) be able to prove you can support yourself without having to work in Thailand, 2) (as a minimum) meet the hours of study criteria & be ready to demonstrate this.

& again, if you're view is different then Up-2-You... Good luck [emoji4][emoji106]

Personal view is irrelevant here.

What we are trying to work out is what the immigration's view is

• Like 1

Just noticed this thread and skim-read the start and end. So basically there was some 'crackdown' 7 months ago but nothing has really changed and the new forms not enforced yet? That's about the cliffnotes?

Was there any criteria set for what they don't like to read in your 2 year visa history (e.g. what if I was on tourist visas for 2 years but still can prove offshore income for that period)?

• Like 1

My friend is contemplating the ED visa route as he is 48 and wishes to change to retirement visa at age 50.

Now this is what he has been told when it comes up for renewal.

Expect to be able to be ? in thai and possibly to read some thai text,dont worry about income etc as all the authorities are interested in is that you are actually learning.

The worst part for him is he has to make a decision next week whether to enrol,although his visa is not due to run out until late august,so it's a case of i want your money now mr.cheesy.gif

Just noticed this thread and skim-read the start and end. So basically there was some 'crackdown' 7 months ago but nothing has really changed and the new forms not enforced yet? That's about the cliffnotes?

Was there any criteria set for what they don't like to read in your 2 year visa history (e.g. what if I was on tourist visas for 2 years but still can prove offshore income for that period)?

Exactly.

Remember the info came from a school (Walen).

• Like 1

it's free interpretation from your part, I don't think that's going to help anyone.

My friend was interviewed in Thai and had to prove his Japanese abilities (he was learning Japanese), but because they can't speak Japanese, they could not interviewed him in Japanese and lose face.

So they questioned him in Thai (his Thai is crap),got a "pass" so he can continue learning Japanese. That makes no sense to anyone, not to the school, not to the student and not to the MOE either, and that shows and the "Prove me you are actually attending classes" game is just OVER.

Everyone passes the test.

My interpretation of what you're saying is that there is no need to go to classes as long as you can prove you're able to support yourself without illegally working in Thailand.

If that's what you are saying then I wouldn't call it unhelpful, I'd call it downright dangerous & would urge anybody who's on an ED visa (especially one related to a Thai subject which I'm sure the vast majority are) to think again before heeding it.

But good luck anyway [emoji106]

Please give ONE name of a school that rats on its students and tell immigration when they don't attend so they lose their visa.

I know my school is not shy about telling Immigration that a student is not turning up for classes, if they are asked.

Does anyone have more information on the 2 year visa history?

Does that include expired/full passports or only a current passport?

I am currently on a Tourist Visa, but in the process with my business partner of setting up another company.

Because it will take time for my Non B visa and Work Permit, I decided to sign up for a 6 month Thai language course.

I have wanted to learn Thai for sometime (been living in Bangkok 6 years) but kept putting it off because of other time commitments and frankly getting a visa exempt stamp every 30 days as I flew back and forth between Bangkok and Hogn Kone every month was just so much easier.

Anyway, new rules on Visa and Visa exemptions mean I needed to change to proper visas.

At the school I was given forms which asked for details of all visits to Thailand over the previous 2 years (the forms everyone including myself has been worried about)

They asked me to just sign the form but said I didn't need to fill it out. They didn't want to know how I was supporting myself or anything.....

So, whilst I'm not claiming this is 100% the same for every school and application, it appears there may be less to worry about *at the moment* than people feared.

Be aware however that Immigration is clamping down on Visa abuse and logical would dictate that Education Visa may come under increased scrutiny.

Be aware however that Immigration is clamping down on Visa abuse and logical would dictate that Education Visa may come under increased scrutiny.

You can see from the date of this thread that the ED visa already had it's increased scrutiny. It seems that the ED visa was where they started.

This is gonna cause massive problems for some people. Not to mention learning centres disappearing fast! How do Walen aim to make life easier for its students and customers? Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Walen School is taking good care of our students. If someone wants to learn Thai and obtain an ED visa let me know. Walen is certainly not going to disappear fast but it is quite possible that schools that were establish solely to sell ED visas will. Walen School is a real language school.

www.thaiwalen.com

Walen School - it makes sense to learn Thai

• Like 2

This is gonna cause massive problems for some people. Not to mention learning centres disappearing fast! How do Walen aim to make life easier for its students and customers? Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Walen School is taking good care of our students. If someone wants to learn Thai and obtain an ED visa let me know. Walen is certainly not going to disappear fast but it is quite possible that schools that were establish solely to sell ED visas will. Walen School is a real language school.

www.thaiwalen.com

Hilarious.

• Like 2

www.thaiwalen.com

Hilarious.

Maybe but it works.