Stricter requirements, new application forms for ED visa extensions

I've heard this was coming. Here's a real beauty. I'm a Buddhist monk. In the past, I was given a "R" visa for religious study's. Now they are giving foreign monks, yep, you got it, a "ED" visa.. and asking us for proof of income.. we're monks, we don't have an income.. WTH. blink.png

Maybe that is why they are asking about religion on the forms.

David

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My school have a branch at Koh Samui at there the student have to prove a income of 50k pr month.

My school told me be like that for long time at Koh Samui.. So maybe it be in that neighborhood ??

I wish they remove the stupid 50 years for retirement extension, so we don´t need to use ED Extension.

Then people can chose and not be force into one or the other kind of Visa Extension.

Thai students living and studying in Australia are allowed to work

no ifs no buts no work permit

Australia has agreements with Thailand however it appears to be a one way street

Their is the working holiday visa for Australians. See: http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/doc/info/visa/info_working_holiday_visa%20updated%20051113.pdf

Hi there,

Just seen the new rules. What is if I get a salary from abroad of about 100.000 baht to my thai bank account every month?

Is that legal? Or does that count as working illegally? Thats confusing me...

Thanks

They only care about you working for a company, business, school and etc here.

• Like 1

Cool thank you ubonjoe smile.png

That should answer my question, I am working for an american company, actually I am just using the internet for my work here and my salary is paid into a thai bank account every month. So the proof is there, was just not sure if its accepted.

Edited by Binding2003

what if i go to thai bank and put cash in my acc, say 500 000thb, is that counts? or only from abroad?

That should be OK, if you can show it comes from abroad.

The ministry is concerned with that you are not working illegally in Thailand, that is why you have to show a source of income.

I work remotely and all my clients are from the US and Europe so although I complete the work here I'm not working for anyone in Thailand. I've just paid for my 2nd year of Thai lessons and my ED Visa is due for renewal in Jan 2014. If somehow my application gets refused, does my payment get refunded?

Ask your school.

This will effectively kill the ED business.

Timwin, this is exactly the problem here, so many new schools literally sell ED visas and are advertising this way. This is the basis of their business, learning anything there is a secondary thing. The MOE can see that. Walen is advertising learning Thai or English and providing with it an ED visa assistance for those interested in long term study, it is a big difference. We have several thousand students and we take good care of all the paperwork so it is in order and we will continue to do so. I do not see any change for now for students learning at Walen School.

Proof of income? Aren't they studying, and not working?

Income from outside Thailand is what they want to see.

Income from who? Their parents? I still can't imagine how a full time student is expected to have an income from a foreign job, while studying full time in Thailand.

Doesn't matter who supplies the money, just as long as it comes from outside the country.

It was a language school that pointed out these "abuses"?

Is one trying to kill his own business or be the only school that offers a solution?

song sai maak!

Walen School is interested in maintaining the ED visa system as it benefits a lot of students. Of course we are against schools selling ED visas as they will potentially ruin the system and it will have a great negative effect on those who are legitimate students and there are a great many of those.

• Like 2

Timwin, this is exactly the problem here, so many new schools literally sell ED visas and are advertising this way. This is the basis of their business, learning anything there is a secondary thing. The MOE can see that. Walen is advertising learning Thai or English and providing with it an ED visa assistance for those interested in long term study, it is a big difference. We have several thousand students and we take good care of all the paperwork so it is in order and we will continue to do so. I do not see any change for now for students learning at Walen School.

So what if I have no bank account in England and my income is solely deposited in a Thai account, can I not study at your school?

What is exactly required a proof of income???

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

i got savings in security box

what if i go to thai bank and put cash in my acc, say 500 000thb, is that counts? or only from abroad?

That should be OK, if you can show it comes from abroad.

The ministry is concerned with that you are not working illegally in Thailand, that is why you have to show a source of income.

This is gonna cause massive problems for some people. Not to mention learning centres disappearing fast! How do Walen aim to make life easier for its students and customers? Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

We are a recognised school, authorities know us for many years and they know we run an actual network of schools with students learning, not just a visa mill. There are many schools that are not schools unfortunately, students of those schools may get in trouble like happened already in Phuket when students from a visa mill school were blacklisted and cannot obtain an ED visa again on the island even when they move to another school. Walen students will get first class service, I can assure you of that.

• Like 1

You advertise "unlimited stay in Thailand" and "free ED visa".

Maybe this is only a requirement for the Walen School of Thai since they seem to be the only source for this information. The immigration websites and local newspapers have no mention of it.

I am afraid Richard these are official forms from the MOE, translated by us so probably other schools will be using our translations as well as not many downloaded it already. Walen School is interested in the system going and genuine students benefiting from this type of visa.

As much as I know this will effect many people I have to say that I agree with it. It isn't right for people to be here on and ED visa and work illegally, I would complain about it in my country so the Thai's have a right to complain about it here.

If you don't have the income to support your education and you do not have the appropriate qualifications for employment then you should only be able to come to Thailand on a tourist or retirement visa.

This is only right even though I know may will argue against it.

• Like 2

This is gonna cause massive problems for some people. Not to mention learning centres disappearing fast! How do Walen aim to make life easier for its students and customers? Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

We are a recognised school, authorities know us for many years and they know we run an actual network of schools with students learning, not just a visa mill. There are many schools that are not schools unfortunately, students of those schools may get in trouble like happened already in Phuket when students from a visa mill school were blacklisted and cannot obtain an ED visa again on the island even when they move to another school. Walen students will get first class service, I can assure you of that.

good to hear macwalen. I understand your point on visa mills. You didn't really answer my question though.

If you have a potential student who wants to study as no bank account from his own country of origin how can he/she prove their income is from outside Thailand? Or are you saying that because of Walen's reputation your students will be exempt of providing this information?

Spoke to a non - Walen learning centre friend of mine who knew nothing about new rule. She said only problems they've had are with KL, who will only give ED visas for international schools or universities. Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

It is a new format, also most if not all centers are learning from Walen as our school was the first one to start assisting students with ED visas for learning at private language schools therefore we have the most experience with processing this type of visa, it is a fact so no silly comments please. Many are clueless and are not up to date as they may have small numbers of students and it may take them some time to get to know new requirements. Those forms were given to Walen School yesterday so it is very recent.

how long you can manage to stay in thailand on turist visas ? doing extensions and new visas in near by countries?

Mataleo, this is actually the most important point here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those who have a lot of tourist visas will find it harder to get an ED visa. Most have missed this most important point. If you have a long history of tourist visas it will be harder to convince the MOE that you all of a sudden want to learn Thai and are a genuine student. So if you want to learn and get an ED visa do it, if you get a few more tourist visas you might be in trouble.

In any case Walen School will do our best to help all those who are interested in learning Thai or English and obtain an ED visa. Being a genuine school makes it easier for us.

We had a case of student recently who was refused an ED visa in Vietnam because he had too many tourist visas, these new forms confirm that that is the new thinking. Serial tourist visa runners do not seem to be good candidates for genuine students. Makes sense, doesn't it?

• Like 2

So what if I have no bank account in England and my income is solely deposited in a Thai account, can I not study at your school?

What is exactly required a proof of income???

We will process new applications soon so I will be able to tell you later how it works exactly in practice. At this this time it is very new and we have not processed any applications based on the forms given to us yesterday. But I am sure there will not be a problem for genuine students. Walen School will do our best to provide ED visa assistance.