Stricter requirements, new application forms for ED visa extensions

I don't think so. You will be fine. Sent from my GT-I9190 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'm studying at walen pattaya (and i'm regular at thai classes) and i have a lot of tourist visas . So at ed visa extension in jomtien i would have to get some proof of income/bank balance or it won't be needed?

At this moment no. But in a short period of time you may need proof of income or money in the bank from outside Thailand.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't think so. You will be fine. Sent from my GT-I9190 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'm studying at walen pattaya (and i'm regular at thai classes) and i have a lot of tourist visas . So at ed visa extension in jomtien i would have to get some proof of income/bank balance or it won't be needed?

At this moment no. But in a short period of time you may need proof of income or money in the bank from outside Thailand.

Let's hope it would not come to that i need proof of income at ed visa extension when i go to jomtien. I don't work here or anything illegal but my money is staying on my thai girlfriend bank account so we use it together(and it's not a lot).So i can support myself by not working but of course it's a not exactly my bank account

Edited by DA3NDORPHIN3

Agakure, we have not tested it yet but it seems people with a lot of tourist visas may find it difficult to obtain an ED visa. Sent from my GT-I9190 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

thats good as they are not students..just visa jumpers

Wrong.You can't say that for everyone,don't generalize.I have a lot of tourist visas but i actually have never missed a thai school lesson on my ed visa,and i'm eager to learn thai language.

It would be better to have some sort of test based upon how much months/years did you learn thai.Those who have ed visa for several years but can't speak even a word,those are the real problem.

Agakure, we have not tested it yet but it seems people with a lot of tourist visas may find it difficult to obtain an ED visa. Sent from my GT-I9190 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Wrong.You can't say that for everyone,don't generalize.I have a lot of tourist visas but i actually have never missed a thai school lesson on my ed visa,and i'm eager to learn thai language.

It would be better to have some sort of test based upon how much months/years did you learn thai.Those who have ed visa for several years but can't speak even a word,those are the real problem.

as said /most use it to stay in thailand..and work illegally

Hotrod, just in case you needed one in the future you might change your opinion. Requirements are reasonable for those who do not abuse the system. Rules for retirement visas might change, increasing age to 55, then so many critics that are just a little over 50 might all of a sudden praise this kind of visa for those learning Thai. Never say never. The same might happen if immigration required more money in the bank and tricks of not depositing your own money might not work any longer. The best is not to break a good system by abusing it.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Some people use it for work illegal.But MOST of the people use it to stay here on the long term without doing anything illegal.That's not a scam.

• Like 1

May be wrong but doesnt the price of Visas stay the same for Old Hands.?. Feel sure my Chum only had to show 200 in the Bank, then it went to 400,yet he only had to show a seasoned 200 for his Wed to Thai Visa because he had been here a long time. Am i Right. or not?. Ed Visas have allways been abused as far as us Old Hands generally see it, but as for Mac, i doubt hes part of it,the louts are giving him a hard time. Hence the Jobsworth Thais wake Up.

There's going to be a lot of people resorting to 'overstays'.

If the Tourist Visa runners can't get Ed visas, and there's hassle getting Tourist Visas in nearby countries without getting redstamps etc. Then I think many will jut think F it, keep 20k cash nearby and give up on the visa nonsense.

Trouble will start if they raise the max overstay fine from 20k to 50k.

Some people use it for work illegal.But MOST of the people use it to stay here on the long term without doing anything illegal.That's not a scam.

They're scamming their selves if they're living here on less than 40k p/m and refusing or cannot work to add to it. rolleyes.gif

There's going to be a lot of people resorting to 'overstays'.

If the Tourist Visa runners can't get Ed visas, and there's hassle getting Tourist Visas in nearby countries without getting redstamps etc. Then I think many will jut think F it, keep 20k cash nearby and give up on the visa nonsense.

Trouble will start if they raise the max overstay fine from 20k to 50k.

But in that case you'll do not much travel anymore. Almost on every bus ride your passport will be checked, and as well in border areas.

Of course you could be checked anywhere, but the above is where I get checked on a regular basis, for the rest never in over 10 years.

Hotrod, just in case you needed one in the future you might change your opinion. Requirements are reasonable for those who do not abuse the system. Rules for retirement visas might change, increasing age to 55, then so many critics that are just a little over 50 might all of a sudden praise this kind of visa for those learning Thai. Never say never. The same might happen if immigration required more money in the bank and tricks of not depositing your own money might not work any longer. The best is not to break a good system by abusing it. Sent from my GT-I9190 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

as i said people go down the ED visa route ,when all else fails....it is used to stay in thailand with little cash..

seen so many in sisaket living on 100 baht a day.on a ED VISA..

Some students, if not most students are sponsored and have zero income. Parents or some other sponsor pays for their study. I wonder how this will affect them? Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

They will show they money coming into their bank account from the people who sponsor them.

I will go to the classes and study Thai, It actually give me a reason to get of my lazy ass and learn the language better than i can already speak it, but i only got the visa because i can not get any other type.( i just got the approval from the moe yesterday.)

Had to show bank account with at least 35000 baht. Thai or foreign account it does not matter. Was asked how much i would spend each month while i am in Thailand . I said 10 000.

Passport had all my 7 years of visa stamps in it that the moe looked at and had no problems.

Would i still be classed as breaking the rules and would some of the people who are posting on here tell me i don't have the right to stay in Thailand?

I only got the visa because i can get no other but i will go to the classes and learn thai?

What i do when i can no longer get an ed visa i do not know.

Many are in the same position as you. There are no visas available for example for a self-employed book writer with business abroad. So it is either tourist, marriage or ED visa.

Anyway, a bank account with 35000 Baht was the requirement for ED visa for you, right? Well, that sounds reasonable after all.

Hotrod, just in case you needed one in the future you might change your opinion. Requirements are reasonable for those who do not abuse the system. Rules for retirement visas might change, increasing age to 55, then so many critics that are just a little over 50 might all of a sudden praise this kind of visa for those learning Thai. Never say never. The same might happen if immigration required more money in the bank and tricks of not depositing your own money might not work any longer. The best is not to break a good system by abusing it. Sent from my GT-I9190 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

as i said people go down the ED visa route ,when all else fails....it is used to stay in thailand with little cash..

seen so many in sisaket living on 100 baht a day.on a ED VISA..

100 bath a day, wow. I assigned 40K a month for myself, and up to now I never reached the target, something was always in between.

It's also many times discussed what the actual school costs, but what is the cost for the visa????

Visa is 1,900 Baht. Sent from my GT-I9190 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Is that for a year?

Visa is for 90 days.

Then you extend it for a year. Extension is 1,900 regardless of length. (12 months is the max you will get)

Ok i have just read the whole thread.So if someone can make it clear:

The new rules only apply for foreigners that will begin to apply for ED visa (apply to Ministry of educ.)?

Not the ones who already have ED visa and have to make extensions every 3 months?

I also currently have ED visa with couple of double entry tourist visas in my passport(exactly what you have told in your post @Macwalen).Any problems with that when i go make extension in immigration every 3 months?

Edited by Maestro
deleted unrelated quotes

Things start from Bkk, don't they? Sent from my GT-I9190 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Not necessarily?

As far as I understand for example nearly 2 years ago Chiang Mai seemed to be the first location in Thailand to impose an upper limit on applicants . I was told, language schools had sent e-mails to older applicants (above 50) that they were no longer able to obtain an education visa in Chiang Mai.

And yet places like Bangkok and Pattaya didn't seem to have that restriction?

I think that was another unfounded rumour. I know lots of people over 50 in CM with ED visas.

So is what this guy says on his website is wrong?

This is written in the section “ New Forms “

NOTE: Education (Student) VISA's are no longer available for persons over

50 years of age.

http://donslifeinthailand.com/VISA_Student.html

Edited by Asiantravel