Stricter requirements, new application forms for ED visa extensions

I read now 9 pages about the so called changes.

But does anybody have firsthand experience that this is implemented.

According to Phuket immigration nothing has changed.

This does not mean that no changes will happen in the future but according them no new instructions from Bangkok are passed down to Phuket Immigration.

Many times before we hear about rule changes which turned out not to be correct.

Until then wait and see.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This does not mean that no changes will happen in the future but according them no new instructions from Bangkok are passed down to Phuket Immigration.

Many times before we hear about rule changes which turned out not to be correct.

Until then wait and see.

It is not a change to immigration requirements.

It is new forms for getting a letter from the MOE needed for the extension.

OP also states it is only for Bangkok at this time.

I cannot find any post by Mac Walen that said anything about those over 50 not being able to get an extension. It was made by somebody else.

The person who told me about this restriction almost 2 years ago now was warned by Pro Language School

If people need the same financial requirement for an Ed Visa than they do for a retirement visa, then easier for all they just get a retirement visa. If they don't qualify for that they don't qualify for an Ed Visa. (if the financial requirements are the same).

You're forgetting the age requirement. Gotta be 50 or older to get retirement.

Of course, you're reading my post wrong. No Ed visas for over 50's. Makes sense as now they need to meet the same requirement as for Retirement, but with more hassle and docs. If under 50 with the financial requirement then go the Ed Visa route.

It was also referred to in this thread and apparently Walen School confirmed it according to the original poster ? So apparently not a rumour ?smile.png

I have read somewhere that Ed visa for an over 50 person will not be extended after the first year (I am 62). This was confirmed by Walen school as being the policy of immigration in Chiang Mai. Does this rule apply for the rest of Thailand?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/601367-ed-visa-extension-for-over-50s/

The only school I know that has mentioned over 50s not getting a non-immigrant ED visa is Walen. I know people aged over 50 who have recently obtained one in Chiang Mai. They didn't study with Walen.

Could Walen clarify does the over 50 limit apply only to his school or is it a universal requirement for all language schools? If an universal requirement, could he point to an official website (MFA, Immigration, Embassy, Consulate etc.) that confirms this?

I had two people over 50 study with me last year (2012), and that was in bkk.

Don't know if the rules have changed since.

Bangkok didn't seem to be affected. It was only the Chiang Mai immigration office that was applying this rule

I came here a couple of years ago and went on a student visa and actually went to school for a year, really enjoy the class and the school, I came back this year and wanted to do the same thing, went to the same school and they turned into a used car salesmen pitch, it was not about the the class anymore it was they are the best deal for visa, we take care of you for long as you want, etc.. they state on their website that only 4 to 6 students per class, i asked them about ti and they were shoving in 12 to 16 in those little rooms... they were so pushy for me to get a visa and a couple foreigners working there now sitting down by me and pressuring me to go with them... i just got up and left and went and found a school that wasnt trying to slam a visa down my throat

Until then wait and see.

No wonder why so many people are confused because everyone call it "extension" .Ed visa extension is when you report every 3 months at immigration,right?facepalm.gif

So to make it simpler for the ones who are not fluent in english(including me):

New requirements are for people who will start to make ed visa and apply to MOE,not the ones who currently use ED visa and are making extension every 3 months at immigration. Am i right?

No wonder why so many people are confused because everyone call it "extension" .Ed visa extension is when you report every 3 months at immigration,right?facepalm.gif

So to make it simpler for the ones who are not fluent in english(including me):

New requirements are for people who will start to make ed visa and apply to MOE,not the ones who currently use ED visa and are making extension every 3 months at immigration. Am i right?

You do not extend visas you extend your permit stay.

These new MOE forms will used for getting the letter from them needed to apply for a visa from an embassy or consulate and for all extensions of stay at immigration.

Just curious why I was the only white ED Visa renewer at my most recent visit last week. 99% were Filipinas. I spoke to 2 of them in Thai and just a complete blank stare. Yet my visa renewal was conducted in Thai by the immigration officer. So how in the hell do these scammers pass through?

After a while to think about these new rules, personally I doubt much will change. MOE just want to be sure a school is actually running classes. My learning centre said these forms aren't actually new and don't foresee any problems. I reckon a few spot checks that a scheduled class is actually being taught will be the only major thing they'll do. If you want an ED visa you'll get one somewhere. For me I think it's all about the schools' relationship with The MOE.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by bangkok blue
  • Like 1

Just curious why I was the only white ED Visa renewer at my most recent visit last week. 99% were Filipinas. I spoke to 2 of them in Thai and just a complete blank stare. Yet my visa renewal was conducted in Thai by the immigration officer. So how in the hell do these scammers pass through?

Might have been helpful if a total number had been given ! % are very misleading. Were all the applicants spoken to? If not how is it known they were all applying for ED extensions of stay ?

By the way the "white" person did not "renew" a visa!

Edited by Sceptict11

Proof of income? Aren't they studying, and not working?

Income from outside Thailand is what they want to see.

Income from who? Their parents? I still can't imagine how a full time student is expected to have an income from a foreign job, while studying full time in Thailand.

Don't need a job.Income is what is required,savings,benefactor.

Hi there,

Just seen the new rules. What is if I get a salary from abroad of about 100.000 baht to my thai bank account every month?

Is that legal? Or does that count as working illegally? Thats confusing me...

Thanks

I don't know how you made it this far.Thailand couldn't give a toss if you get salary from abroad,their concern is what happens in Thailand.

2 year visa history might be a much bigger problem as serial tourist visa runners may not be viewed as genuine students. A lot of people had an ED visa then they switch back to tourist visa because they can save a few pennies and then they want to reapply again for an ED visa etc. That strategy might not work very well much longer. This is a clear example of an ED visa abuse as it is obvious such a 'student' clearly wants to extend his stay in the kingdom rather than learn the language. Why otherwise would he/she be switching between visas so often? Or applying all of a sudden for an ED visa after receiving a red stamp for having too many tourist visas! Some irresponsible individuals may reap what they sow much sooner than the think.

In the new applications we need to clearly write the visa history, first entry, number of visas, number of exits and types of visa for the period of two years. If students exited the Kingdom more than 5 times in that period they need to write an explanation letter why they travel so much.

If you plan to learn Thai and obtain an ED visa perhaps getting a lot of tourist visas might not be in your best future interest as it is very likely to be interpreted as an intention to abuse the visa system.

• Like 1

2 year visa history might be a much bigger problem as serial tourist visa runners may not be viewed as genuine students. A lot of people had an ED visa then they switch back to tourist visa because they can save a few pennies and then they want to reapply again for an ED visa etc. That strategy might not work very well much longer. This is a clear example of an ED visa abuse as it is obvious such a 'student' clearly wants to extend his stay in the kingdom rather than learn the language. Why otherwise would he/she be switching between visas so often? Or applying all of a sudden for an ED visa after receiving a red stamp for having too many tourist visas! Some irresponsible individuals may reap what they sow much sooner than the think.

In the new applications we need to clearly write the visa history, first entry, number of visas, number of exits and types of visa for the period of two years. If students exited the Kingdom more than 5 times in that period they need to write an explanation letter why they travel so much.

If you plan to learn Thai and obtain an ED visa perhaps getting a lot of tourist visas might not be in your best future interest as it is very likely to be interpreted as an intention to abuse the visa system.

This just expresses your intrest to keep your money coming in ,whistling.gif except a few points you mension , but a real tourist could by my opinion perfect combine tourist with learning Thai ........Shows a real intrest in the culture of Asia .rolleyes.gif

Ps; by my inscribing doc. from me in your school a few years past already ,there where som questions in that direction like for what reason to go for ed visa ...., simpel reason ;" in preparation for retirement in Thailand to communicate with Thai authority's and population "wai2.gif

Income from who? Their parents? I still can't imagine how a full time student is expected to have an income from a foreign job, while studying full time in Thailand.

In this particular case, ie the forms of the MoE, income does not mean earnings, but means the source of money used for living and studying expenses in Thailand. The purpose of this exercise is to deny an ED visa to foreigners who live in Thailand on income derived from illegally working in Thailand. Therefore, showing evidence that you live on savings you have abroad and transfer to Thailand or from which you make ATM withdrawals in Thailand should be acceptable without a problem. Of course, in addition your school will have to confirm that you are in fact attending classes.

In this particular case, ie the forms of the MoE, income does not mean earnings, but means the source of money used for living and studying expenses in Thailand. The purpose of this exercise is to deny an ED visa to foreigners who live in Thailand on income derived from illegally working in Thailand. Therefore, showing evidence that you live on savings you have abroad and transfer to Thailand or from which you make ATM withdrawals in Thailand should be acceptable without a problem. Of course, in addition your school will have to confirm that you are in fact attending classes.

What if you use your home bank account and don't have a Thai one?

Can you show your statement with regular ATM withdrawals

Keep also the slips the Thai ATMs give you with every cash withdrawal. The MoE officials will probably find them easier to read and interpret than a foreign bank's list of transactions. I see no reason why this should not be acceptable evidence of the source of the money you use for your studying and living expenses in Thailand.

As the subject title suggests, it's abusing an ED visa for those that want to remain in Thailand indefinitely and the 'easy' option therefore is to apply for a 90 day ED visa with 90 day extensions.

I'm surprised that the income requirement wasn't introduced a long time ago.

I will again be attending school next week and I will enquire further on this subject.

Keep also the slips the Thai ATMs give you with every cash withdrawal. The MoE officials will probably find them easier to read and interpret than a foreign bank's list of transactions. I see no reason why this should not be acceptable evidence of the source of the money you use for your studying and living expenses in Thailand.

Everything seems vague, answers are always like "this should be OK".

could we have the police order ?

Police orders of visas usually indicates exactly what documents to provide, why do you keep referring us to our school, as if it our change from one school to another ? Is law not the same for everyone ?

When would it come in application?

Thaivisa.com thanks Walen School of Thai for pointing out these new requirements.

--------------------------------------------

The above taken from George's initial post and yes, perhaps we could have sight of the income requirement from the police order not from the Walen School as it wasn't them that asked for this requirement.

Everything seems vague, answers are always like "this should be OK".

could we have the police order ?

Police orders of visas usually indicates exactly what documents to provide, why do you keep referring us to our school, as if it our change from one school to another ? Is law not the same for everyone ?

When would it come in application?

Thanks smile.png

Yes, everything is vague at the moment.

There is no Police Order about this.

The two new forms are not a law. They are part of the MoE's administrative procedures.

So far, no public announcement from the MoE is known about the use of these forms. What we have is the information from the Thaivisa member MacWalen, who owns a school, got hold of these two new forms from the MoE and made them available to Thaivisa for the information of our members. All we can do now is wait until we hear from members being made to use these forms about their experience. As regards school operators, I am confident that MacWalen will keep us posted about respective developments at his school as soon as the MoE starts asking for submission of these forms for his students.

• Like 1

I don't have credit card from my country. I only have money in kasikorn thai savings bank account which is my name.Any problem with that? I also already have ed visa,will they check me when i go immigration for 3 month extension?

These new requirements seems to stupid.I don't work here,but it seems even if i work i could just open bank account in thai bank and deposit money and say "i'm using that money" and if i work somewhere illegaly i could deposit money in my bank account.It just seems to stupid.

Would be better if they have some test based on how much did you learn in school.Many people go 2-3 years to school and know just couple of words.

...I also already have ed visa,will they check me when i go immigration for 3 month extension? ...

You will just have to wait and see what happens. If I remember correctly what MacWalen has posted, in his communication with the MoE he was led to believe that only new students will have to submit the two new forms, only if enrolling at a school in Bangkok, and only if they have been living in Thailand during the last two years.

• Like 1

...I also already have ed visa,will they check me when i go immigration for 3 month extension? ...

You will just have to wait and see what happens. If I remember correctly what MacWalen has posted, in his communication with the MoE he was led to believe that only new students will have to submit the two new forms, only if enrolling at a school in Bangkok, and only if they have been living in Thailand during the last two years.

Thanks for that info.I think i have also read that new requirements are only for new students who are applying to MoE not the ones who already have ed visa