Hua Hin: Serena Williams and Victoria Azarenka set for Thai catwalk

webfact

TENNIS

Serena and Azarenka set for Thai catwalk

The Nation

30222803-01_big.gif

Serena Williams, right, and Victoria Azarenka will put Thai fashion on world stage.

HUA HIN: -- World No 1 Serena Williams will not only skip and twirl about the tennis court in Hua Hin but also catwalk along with world No 2 Victoria Azarenka in a special fashion event, the Made in Thailand Night with Serena & Victoria, to be held during their visit this weekend.

The celebrity fashion extravaganza will be held at the InterContinental Hua Hin Resort on December 27 at 6pm, a day before their exhibition match at 5pm at the Centennial Park in the beach city.

Serena and Azarenka, who won a combined three Grand Slams together this season, will walk the catwalk in outfits specially designed and made for them by Uki Unawantangkarawakul of local brand Yuna. The fashion event is being organised by the Lawn Tennis Association of Thailand under the patronage of His Majesty the King, BEC-Tero Entertainment and office of small and medium enterprises promotion, Ministry of Industry.

Walking with the two celebrities will be some of Thailand's top models wearing Thai silk outfits and jewellery from OTOP to put Thai fashion and jewellery on world stage. The silk comes from Pak Thong Chai district of Nakhon Ratchasima while the jewellery have been made by local artisans.

"This is a wonderful global promotional opportunity for Thai fashion and Thailand as a whole. This is also a great opportunity for tennis fans to see the world's best tennis players in Hua Hin," said Suwat Liptapanlop, president of the Lawn Tennis Association of Thailand.

Azarenka, who is due to arrive on Thursday afternoon, will give alms to monks the next morning. Serena will arrive on Friday. Both players will head to Australia after the friendly match.

The match will be broadcast live on Channel 3 and around the globe. Tickets for the event are available at Bt1,500 from all ThaiTicketMajor outlets, Major Hua Hin and the InterContinental Hua Hin Resort, and can be purchased online at www.thaiticketmajor.com or by calling 02 262 3838.

Ferrer splits with Piles

World No 3 David Ferrer said that he has split with coach Javier Piles after a 15-year working relationship.

"Tomorrow I will make a statement because I finished my relation with my coach Javier Piles three or four days ago," Ferrer told www.sport360.com.

"I am sad because it was a very familial relationship and next year I will begin with Jose Altur along with my same team. I broke my relation with Javier, it was okay, we didn't have any personal problems."

Ferrer and Piles had endured a close but sometimes roller-coaster relationship. The coach once locked Ferrer in a cupboard as punishment for a poor performance on the practice courts.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-24