British Real Ale Lovers - Happy Christmas from Villa Market

draftvader

There's an Asia brewed version of Guinness that I've seen and bought at stores in Cambodia... I wanna say from Malaysia.

post-58284-0-18934100-1393823894_thumb.j

Though it seems the pub-available version here is imported from Ireland, or so says the TABP website above.

From the Wiki on Guinness Foreign Extra Stout:

I don't think I knew before that most of the overseas brewed Guinness is a combination of locally brewed beer mixed with Guinness syrup.

Guinness Flavour Extract, a dehydrated, hopped wort extract made from barley malt and roasted barley, is used for overseas production of the stout. The syrup is shipped from Ireland, where it is added at the ratio of 1:49 to locally brewed pale beer. In most overseas markets, Guinness Flavour Extract (GFE) is blended with locally brewed beer to produce FES.

In the year 2012-2013, sales of Guinness in South East Asia were over £100 million.[23]FES (6.8% ABV) is brewed and distributed in Malaysia by Guinness Anchor Berhad, a joint venture between Guinness and Asia Pacific Breweries.[23] The Malaysian variant is distributed throughout most of South East Asia. The brew was reduced in ABV from 8 to 6.8% in 2008.[33] Malaysia is the largest Asian market for Guinness, where, in 2012, the brand grew by between 10 and 15 percent.[34][35] In Singapore, FES is brewed and distributed by Asia Pacific Breweries.[23] In Indonesia, Guinness is brewed to 4.9% ABV by PT Multi Bintang (a subsidiary of Asia Pacific Breweries), and is distributed through a distribution agreement with PT Dima Indonesia.[23]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guinness_Foreign_Extra_Stout#Asia

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guinness is world famous for traveling poorly. Most casked creams and stouts don't travel well. Even in London the Guinness is nowhere near as nice as in Dublin. I used to be a big Guinness drinker in my teenage years and was lucky enough to date a Dubliner in my early 20s so plenty of trips over there! I have heard that John Smith's (cream) has been served in Thailand on tap and is VERY poor indeed!

Lately, I've been looking at a few beer reviews on youtube comparing a few of the dry stouts available in North America. The Canadian brewed Guinness Extra Stout seems to lie near the bottom, the American version comes out better, the Dublin brewed Guinness Draught gets fairly good reviews, but Mill Street Cobblestone Stout brewed in Ontario ranks even higher for taste. I've had the Cobblestone Stout myself and it is indeed a good tasting dry stout, but then Guinness Draught in a can has never let me down either. I guess it's all relative in relation to your own taste buds.

I'm always on the prowl for good tasting craft beers from anywhere in the world I've never tried before, but not too expensive either. Unfortunately, in Thailand I usually end up with whatever is in the local 7-Eleven or supermarkets up north which is usually a selection of various blond lagers and not much else.

The Canadian brewed Guinness Extra Stout seems to lie near the bottom, the American version comes out better,

I'm just wondering whether the U.S. brewed version of Guinness is produced by mixing imported Guinness syrup with locally Budweiser beer!!! Oh boy!!! tongue.png

If they were doing the same in Thailand, it probably would be Guinness syrup mixed with Archa! bah.gif

The Guiness Foreign Extra is my least favourite stout in the world. I once organized a blind testing of 12 stouts, and this ranked superior at the bottom. As mentioned by others, it is indeed a mixture of a cheap local pale ale mixed with Guinness powder or extract. The Guinness powder and extract are made in Ireland. It's evil twins are the ABC stout found in Singapore and Malaysia and Lion Stout from Sri Lanka. Lion Stout scores almost perfectly on ratebeer, which proves that the website can't be trusted, in my opinion. Coopers Extra Stout, widely available in Thailand, is marginally better, but just by an inch.

Actually, the stout situation in Thailand is quite bad. Of the English beers sold at Villa Market, only two are stouts, but it is the highly acclaimed Young's Double Chocolate Stout and St Austell's 1913 Cornish Stout. Even at Wishbeer the stouts are far between, with the exception of some excellent American stouts and the mighty Fuller's Imperial Stout.

Actually if you do a google search on Moosehead Guinness, you'll see that it's an independent, brewery, Moosehead, based in Saint John, New Brunswick Canada, does the brewing for the U.S. Guinness Extra Stout market. One Canadian website preferred it to the Canadian version brewed by Labatt's but thought it tasted more like a dark lager rather than a stout.

Referring to Lion Stout, that's what the name they export it under to the U.S., but here in Canada it's labelled Sinha Stout from Sri Lanka. I've had it several times over the last few years, and quite like the taste.

I've had Young's Double Chocolate a few times and it's OK, but I grew tired of it. Much prefer something like Southern Tier Choklat and Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout isn't bad either.

Best smoked stout I've ever had was imported from Iceland of all places. Olvisholt Brugghus Lava.

Its now possible in the UK to get Oakham ale in bottles.....i hope they reach Thailand at some point....if you see any let me know! whistling.gif

JHB, Scarlet Macaw and CITRA?

Not sure about JHB....but the other two for sure.

Admittedly the JHB doesn't bottle too well compared to the CITRA. BTW Next time you're visiting Blighty make sure you try Twickenham Fine Ales - Naked Ladies. Truly awesome beer.....and now in bottles too (though considerably cheaper, if you are in the Richmond/Twickenham area, is to pop into RealAle.com and see if they have it carry-out...something like £1.80 a pint!!!!!!!!!!).

This one was a complete surprise. I don't usually like pale ales whatsoever, but for the first time ever, today I tried a Buxton Imperial Black from Buxton, England. It said on the bottle, Strong Ale, so I thought it would be brewed to resemble something like Wellington Iron Duke. No resemblance whatsoever. Very hoppy, but just enough malt to keep it well balanced. A little bit of sweetness in there, but it's the taste of tart citrus that's really at the forefront. This bottle wasn't cheap, but if it ever got to Thailand's shores, it's a possible winner. Very refreshing. Probably the most complex English beer I've ever had, and I've sampled numerous beers from Britain since the late 60's.

Very well done.

Meanwhile, back on the shores of Thailand, I stopped by BeerVault on Suk Soi 15 yesterday and found they're currently repeating a prior special they had last May on Danish craft beers, including both an American Brown Ale and Oatmeal Sweet Stout. Normally they promo such things, but I haven't seen any advertising of this special, other than an in-pub menu card.

The two beers I mention are from Skovlyst, and are the Skovlyst BogeBryg American Brown Ale and the Skovlyst NaeldeBryg Oatmeal Sweet Stout. Current special is any two 500 ml. bottles among the set of 4 beers they have on offer for 350 baht net. Regular price per bottle is around 290 baht per. I believe the other two might be a pilsner and an IPA pale ale.

I tried both the Brown Ale and the Oatmeal Stout yesterday and found both pleasant and easy drinks, though it was a bit much on top of a Guinness draught that I had started with. I also see the Svovlyst Brown Ale and Oatmeal Sweet Stout are available thru Wishbeer, albeit at slightly higher prices.

http://www.wishbeer.com/Danish-Craft-Beers-s/1854.htm

post-58284-0-74595000-1393984536_thumb.j post-58284-0-07653400-1393984539_thumb.j

It's fine to talk about beers that are out there in the larger world... But I prefer to focus on those that are actually available here.

I think Beer Vault or was it Beervana also sells Nogne Ø , the most famous Norwegian ale . And it's so expensive in Thailand , up to 800 baht for a bottle, if you can afford it it's an experience you will not want to miss.

http://www.seekbeervana.com/home/#!/

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think Beer Vault or was it Beervana also sells Nogne Ø , the most famous Norwegian ale . And it's so expensive in Thailand , up to 800 baht for a bottle, if you can afford it it's an experience you will not want to miss.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Nogne O has some interesting beers. Some are very good and some are quite unusual.

A place "nearby" that sometimes has Nogne O on tap, but ALWAYS plenty of other craft beers on tap is Taps Beer Bar in KL. They change every week. I check weekly what's on tap, especially if a KL visa run is approaching :). Check out their webpage and FB

http://www.tapsbeerbar.my

Timothy Taylor's "Landlord" preferably draught & Draught Guinness I miss (not mixed, you understand)! I settle like many of you proper beer drinkers, I should imagine, for lager & italian, red table wine.

Is it possible to buy canned draught Guinness in Thailand; I seem to remember buying it here maybe ten years ago possibly in Foodland (off Sukhumvit Road) BKK - anybody?

Cheers

I remember canned Guinness in BKK as well, but I believe it's been gone from the retail level for some years.

Though still abundantly available at pubs on draught.

There also was much mention earlier in this thread about the canned Guinness that is/was available in SE Asia being not Ireland-brewed, but rather, a mixture of locally brewed beers mixed with Guinness concentrate sent over from Ireland.

Timothy Taylor's "Landlord" preferably draught & Draught Guinness I miss (not mixed, you understand)! I settle like many of you proper beer drinkers, I should imagine, for lager & italian, red table wine.

Is it possible to buy canned draught Guinness in Thailand; I seem to remember buying it here maybe ten years ago possibly in Foodland (off Sukhumvit Road) BKK - anybody?

Cheers

You can get Tim Taylor's Landlord in Singapore on your next visa run. It is bottled though. Its good when bottled, but sensational on tap.

How do you guys rank the top 5 English beers available in Thailand now?

This is really hard for me as I have to many favourites and flavours of the day, but perhaps these (in random order):

1. Fuller's ESB

2. Young's Double Chocolate Stout

3. Hook Norton Flagship IPA

4. Sambrooks Powerhouse Porter

5. St Austell Admiral Ale

A real honorable mention is Well's Bomardier which is the ale I drink the most, because price/taste/availability combo.

Others that could be on the list if I had written it tomorrow, are:

Hook Norton Old Hooky

Hook Norton Twelve Days

Well's Waggle Dance

Fuller's Honey Dew

St Austell ProperJob

Belhaven St Andrews

Greene King Abbot Ale

Fuller's London Pride and IPA

Shepherds Neame not on the list due to ridiculous pricing.

I can't be live is forgot to mention Hook Norton's Hooky Gold, that super nice golden ale. I just had one, and it was my first choice right now out of the 20 different ales I have at home. After hours of perspiration in the hot weather and feeling very thirsty, this is the perfect session beer just now.

To be brutally honest there are much better ales out there which haven't been bottled....some which have....

however.....double chocolate stout and the IPA I could happily sink for days on end.....! w00t.gifsmile.png

That is true, and while all we can enjoy is a limited range of bottled ales, and nothing on cask, it is still light years better than last year thanks to Villa Market.

All this talk about great beers had made me think to place an order for some via Beervana's website.

But when I go there, and into the store section, it seems like the purchasing/ordering function is gone, as appears to be all pricing information related to any of their particular beers.

Anyone here have any idea if they're having some problem in terms of their company and/or their website?

I've never placed an order with them before, but their website clearly talks about being able to place an order with them online...but I see nothing. Yet both their Facebook and Twitter accounts appear to be active and current.

FWIW, I also emailed them via their website a couple days ago asking the same question -- and have received no reply thus far.

All this talk about great beers had made me think to place an order for some via Beervana's website.

But when I go there, and into the store section, it seems like the purchasing/ordering function is gone, as appears to be all pricing information related to any of their particular beers.

Anyone here have any idea if they're having some problem in terms of their company and/or their website?

I've never placed an order with them before, but their website clearly talks about being able to place an order with them online...but I see nothing. Yet both their Facebook and Twitter accounts appear to be active and current.

FWIW, I also emailed them via their website a couple days ago asking the same question -- and have received no reply thus far.

Have you tried going through Wishbeer? I didn't think you could order online through the beervana website...

Have you tried going through Wishbeer? I didn't think you could order online through the beervana website...

Re Beervana, that's a good question. As I said, I've never ordered with them, period, as yet. But their website certainly gives that kind of appearance:

To join the Craft Beer Club simply send us an email with your name and contact information to sip @ seekbeervana. We’ll respond with a confirmation and payment instructions (Paypal or Bank Transfer). That’s it. Feel free to check out our BOTTLE SHOP and place your first order right away!

• 20-25% discount from retail on our entire lineup
  • Free delivery on orders over THB 2,000 within Bangkok metro

Unfortunately, Wishbeer doesn't have the same stock that Beervana has.

So I guess the question is, is Beervana still doing home delivery orders, and if so, how do you order with them?

Re Beervana, that's a good question. As I said, I've never ordered with them, period, as yet. But their website certainly gives that kind of appearance:

To join the Craft Beer Club simply send us an email with your name and contact information to sip @ seekbeervana. We’ll respond with a confirmation and payment instructions (Paypal or Bank Transfer). That’s it. Feel free to check out our BOTTLE SHOP and place your first order right away!

• 20-25% discount from retail on our entire lineup
  • Free delivery on orders over THB 2,000 within Bangkok metro

Unfortunately, Wishbeer doesn't have the same stock that Beervana has.

So I guess the question is, is Beervana still doing home delivery orders, and if so, how do you order with them?

Actually Wishbeer has the same range of products.

Actually Wishbeer has the same range of products.

That's what I was thinking... Wishbeer acts as a distribution outlet for Beervana... And if I suspect you are who your username suggests you are, you would know this better than most, no? ;)

Archived