My greatest peeve....

Rotweiler

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont live in "the Rai " but I have some friends there (i hope) so I call it "the Rai"as a term of endearment to the town and for my friends .Most people I know down where I live know the place as Chiang Rai or just "the rai" The Rai has a special ring about it , and that goes without saying the people of the Rai are just as special , well most of them anyway .

Kevvy

What about Bangers?

As in Bangkok.

I find it annoying when people write Pats for Pattaya on Thai Visa, but I don't think I'll launch a campaign to enforce the use of the full word and I certainly would not expect the moderators to fight the fight for me.

Perhaps mods could make that a strong suggestion

I also find the use of things like u and ur for you and your & you're and even "mods" for "moderators," annoying, but then I'm pretty sure my annoyance at such things is more attributable to me becoming a cranky curmudgeon ( or a crankier curmudgeon) than anything else.

It's difficult balancing my petty annoyances against my desire not to be annoyingly petty.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

What about Bangers?

As in Bangkok.

I find it annoying when people write Pats for Pattaya on Thai Visa, but I don't think I'll launch a campaign to enforce the use of the full word and I certainly would not expect the moderators to fight the fight for me.

Perhaps mods could make that a strong suggestion

I also find the use of things like u and ur for you and your & you're and even "mods" for "moderators," annoying, but then I'm pretty sure my annoyance at such things is more attributable to me becoming a cranky curmudgeon ( or a crankier curmudgeon) than anything else.

It's difficult balancing my petty annoyances against my desire not to be annoyingly petty.

curmudgeon.....only one person uses that word. Welcome backsmile.png

Possibly it is you who need education on the thai translation of Chiangrai and its origins. Chiang means city....Chiangrai means city in the fields. Just as Chiang Mai means new city.

Unless you are just refering to a small part of the built up area of Chiangrai it is completly correct to refer to it by its more local name.

I thought it was something to do with people who were good at working with wood?

Haven't heard "The Rai," but then again, I only go up north once every 8 years or so. It does sound annoying.

My two pet peeves are farangs who insist on pronouncing Hua Hin as "Waa Hin" (that one's pretty common), and Pattaya as "pa-TIE-ya," with the stress on the wrong syllable.

For neighboring countries, Phnom Penh said as "Nom Penh" and Vientiane pronounced as it's written in roman letters (and not as it should be pronounced, "Wiang Chan," unaspirated ch) are annoying, but in the case of Vientiane I guess the mistake is understandable.

Possibly it is you who need education on the thai translation of Chiangrai and its origins. Chiang means city....Chiangrai means city in the fields. Just as Chiang Mai means new city.

Unless you are just refering to a small part of the built up area of Chiangrai it is completly correct to refer to it by its more local name.

I thought it was something to do with people who were good at working with wood?

Wrong Mai.

But but, the op is a local to the Rai so everyone else should just shutup and listen.

Good job he doesn't live in Bang...kok.

Or Ban Dung

Or Ban Pong

Or Phichit.....

Enough already........

Edited by jacko45k

In this day and age of information, it is logical to abbreviate and condense words and numbers and symbols. Best deal with it and bend with the wind. Besides it is shortened and easier to remember yo?

I live on 5 Rai in the Rai. I bought this property 9 years ago. I decided 26 years ago that I had never been to a better place with such good quality of life. From this plan I married my manager from Don's Mall in Phuket and we live happy on our small farm in the Rai. God has been good to us.

An entertaining thread, staring with the OP railing against "The Rai", the others wading in and getting riled over nothing, and so being at risk of having the rais rise taken out of them.

Good one, OP....rais above it all (can I use the abbreviation 'OP', btw...oops...another one!) laugh.png

• Like 1

"...I maybe going to..." "...The RAI!!"

If someone would talk like that at the next table while I was quietly minding my own business I would also find it highly annoying. And probably would have spilled my coffee too.

It's "the Rai", not "the RAI", get it? biggrin.png

This kind of wry (pronounced rai) or dry sense of humor does not alway get read correctly on a printed page. In person there would be no problem but the written word is devoid of the myriad of nonverbal signals which normally accompany speech. Still the vagueness of the written word is what made this such a lively and entertaining addition to our sometimes sleepy little forum. clap2.gif smile.png