How Happy Will Foreign Teachers Be In 2014?

sirchai

A degree in Basket weaving education from an approved school would be an education degree and would be valid.

Physical education is important and the degree is acceptable.

Important like........

post-108180-0-32290100-1403222152_thumb.

Edited by sirchai

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a country where students are getting fatter, more sedentary and have fewer opportunities for physical activity, PE is important. For students trying to learn English it is a valuable subject. It is one of the few where the students have a chance to actually use the language in a full - body experience. They can learn verbs and do the actions.

I am afraid, however, that we are veering off the topic.

• Like 1

It seems that this topic will never have an end, as nobody really knows how this year will end. Just in my personal opinion, it has gotten worse.

Now you see "teachers" from too many African countries, the usual Asian ones and nothing has changed in the system.

Nope, even Turkish English teachers are around now.

ASEAN is on its way and it seems to me that most Thais would love to drop out of it.Just acting like it was never a topic.When you look at Europe, you won't like 10 united countries.

The euphoric ASEAN song can't be heard anymore, students still learn how to march, instead\d of learning and failing.

The morning anthem could be five minutes long, as nobody and I mean nobody's listening to a director or anybody else's speech about things nobody wants to listen to.

There’s nothing they would gain anything from. Exactly the opposite. Too many lost faces.

​Agencies never had so many employees, guess why? Almost all nationalities on duty for agencies, many experienced guys have dropped the towel.

Sure, they all have degrees in donkey feeding, or similar.

A scary mixture. I fight my own war right now, teaching grade one kids not just English, also subjects like math and science.

Still waiting for the needed letter from TCT. Then Immigration, etc...gotta love it, or hate it.

When will they give me my Thai ID???? And I've already ordered my American Army 5 star General uniform....

Time for a cold beer now. Hicks.-coffee1.gif

post-108180-0-39762100-1403356543_thumb.

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

It's a LOT less work to pass the 4 Thai licencing exams, than it is to do a PGCE/Grad Dip, etc. I spent 4 years part time, 10 hours a week doing a Grad Dip. Another teacher passed the 4 exams in two attempts by doing some internet research on the topics over a few weeks. This was despite the exams are so poorly written. There's no comparison, no matter what the Krusapha may think.

/agree

I think Krusapa must realize this as well but at some point there must have been a shortage of teachers so they allowed the exams to make up the numbers. Or maybe they are just slowly bringing in more strict regulations so as to not unqualify 80% of their existing teachers at the same time.

In the future maybe they will require a graduate diploma or similar (even if the teacher already passed their exams) in order for teachers to renew their 5 year license. But that's just idle speculation lol.

Thai teachers can get their graduate diploma in just 1 year, only studying on the weekends. If they offered the same course in English it'd probably be worth looking into for teachers. As although the exams are easier, it would be a much higher qualification (and faster, as the exams often only come around once a year and are difficult to pass all in one go). A Thai graduate diploma might even be recognized in other countries if you did it through a decent university.

I thought ABAC's education courses are accredited, and I think some of the Rajabhat courses too. I've never really looked into it, but feedback from other teachers is that they did not want to lose every weekend for many months do a courses. I just interpret that as them not being too keen to get the qualification. When push comes to shove, they may well have to do a course, as the exams seem quite difficult to pass - only one teacher has passed all four exams at my school. The majority of the other qualified teachers, apart from her and myself, are Filipinos. If rules do not change, I envisage many farang teachers not qualifying for any more renewal of provisional licences - and hence having to quit the school, finding another job, and starting the procedure again. Krusapha may even crack down on that, so that once 4 years is up, they won't be able to teach in any regular school here. The will be a shame as we have a number of good teachers who don't have formal teaching qualifications, as do many other schools.

I would say that part of that unwillingness is due to the fact that the TCT will rarely confirm whether or not they will accept a certificate or degree from either online or local courses. Many teachers are unwilling to commit to a year or more of quite expensive study without a guarantee that the TCT will accept the course and won't change their requirements a month before graduation!

Furthermore, who, in their right mind, would spend 300,000 baht or more for a degree that will be worthless outside of Thailand in order to get a 30,000 per month job!

I am now kicking myself for not finishing the tests before they stopped giving them.

• Like 1

It's a LOT less work to pass the 4 Thai licencing exams, than it is to do a PGCE/Grad Dip, etc. I spent 4 years part time, 10 hours a week doing a Grad Dip. Another teacher passed the 4 exams in two attempts by doing some internet research on the topics over a few weeks. This was despite the exams are so poorly written. There's no comparison, no matter what the Krusapha may think.

/agree

I think Krusapa must realize this as well but at some point there must have been a shortage of teachers so they allowed the exams to make up the numbers. Or maybe they are just slowly bringing in more strict regulations so as to not unqualify 80% of their existing teachers at the same time.

In the future maybe they will require a graduate diploma or similar (even if the teacher already passed their exams) in order for teachers to renew their 5 year license. But that's just idle speculation lol.

Thai teachers can get their graduate diploma in just 1 year, only studying on the weekends. If they offered the same course in English it'd probably be worth looking into for teachers. As although the exams are easier, it would be a much higher qualification (and faster, as the exams often only come around once a year and are difficult to pass all in one go). A Thai graduate diploma might even be recognized in other countries if you did it through a decent university.

I thought ABAC's education courses are accredited, and I think some of the Rajabhat courses too. I've never really looked into it, but feedback from other teachers is that they did not want to lose every weekend for many months do a courses. I just interpret that as them not being too keen to get the qualification. When push comes to shove, they may well have to do a course, as the exams seem quite difficult to pass - only one teacher has passed all four exams at my school. The majority of the other qualified teachers, apart from her and myself, are Filipinos. If rules do not change, I envisage many farang teachers not qualifying for any more renewal of provisional licences - and hence having to quit the school, finding another job, and starting the procedure again. Krusapha may even crack down on that, so that once 4 years is up, they won't be able to teach in any regular school here. The will be a shame as we have a number of good teachers who don't have formal teaching qualifications, as do many other schools.

I would say that part of that unwillingness is due to the fact that the TCT will rarely confirm whether or not they will accept a certificate or degree from either online or local courses. Many teachers are unwilling to commit to a year or more of quite expensive study without a guarantee that the TCT will accept the course and won't change their requirements a month before graduation!

Furthermore, who, in their right mind, would spend 300,000 baht or more for a degree that will be worthless outside of Thailand in order to get a 30,000 per month job!

I am now kicking myself for not finishing the tests before they stopped giving them.

That is indeed the point. I am very hesitant about starting ANYTHING at the moment. If I have to I will, but at the moment I wont sign up for a course that is hundreds of thousands of baht....that possibly wont be accepted. Even then, after I have finished how much of a payrise would there be? 5000 per month? 10,000 per month??? A native speaker such as myself, with a degree, with a TELF cert, 10 years teaching experience.....AND then a Masters in education! Thats a lot to ask for between 35,000 - 50,000 per month!

• Like 1

There was a national meeting of the private schools associations in Bangkok on Friday. The junta had asked for feedback about education in Thailand. The TCT and their Teacher Licensing requirements was criticized by just about every school owner there. This may be the start of change.

That's indeed good news. I had to hold a seminar to Thai primary school teachers two weeks ago and one of them had some interesting stuff.

Five pages about Thailand's educational failure in English.

The whole research started with true facts, the usual poor quality of most Thai English teachers, then their Asian counterpart's ability in English, which isn't much better.

Teaching less hours, by cutting several Boy Scout activities out, shorten the morning ceremony, students can fail and if so have to repeat the class.

Using Medias such as movies, cartoons, newspapers, English learning programs to give those more chances who want to learn, various websites where people can learn all four skills of English and it's free.

Also an important part was the negative influence of agencies, by hiring backpackers, non-experienced people and send them into a classroom, just to fill up their wallets.

​Even agencies experience a shortage of the usual "Caucasian native English speaking guys" and send a lot of non native speakers, who don't know much about English at all.These guys are usually making not less than those who're in the system for too long. No jealousy from my side, here.

It was clearly stated that only the director and some English department guys will get their “goodies” in form of a free holiday(s), some cash, etc….when “using” (or being used?) an agency.

To summarize all into one sentence. The Thais English efficiency didn't increase in the last 12 years, fresh graduates, major in English, after having 16 years of English, aren't better than they were 12 years ago.

I was offered a “real doctorate degree”, which is only 500 K, but would that change anything what I’m doing in class?

All students pass, which makes any tests- and Thais love testing- more than absurd.

If I’m not allowed to ask my teacher a simple question, because the teacher might not know the answer, the system has failed.

Why should I take my testing serious, knowing that all of them receive their modified grades?

How do those students feel who’re almost fluent in English, having a good grasp in grammar, etc., as well, if little Somchai has almost the same score, but not knowing anything?

A friend of mine, who’s an English teacher in Germany was trying to find employment for his wife, a Thai high school English teacher.

The best possible employment for her would have been to serve food at a highway restaurant, or being a hotel maid.

Yes, it is time for a change. -thumbsup.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

Theres three fabulous moments in my short teaching career in thailand id love to relate.

There i was teaching a class about ten minutes in trying to explain an activity to P5 students. No drama. One of my co-teachers knocks on the door. We exchange quick chit-chat. Im assuming she wants something because why would she be interrupting my class if it wasnt essential? But its dawning on me... why's she sort of not getting to the point? I ask if she needs anything, 'no no, just wanted to chat'. Um... you realise im in the middle of teaching a class? You realise youre actually a teacher? I ask her if shed like to sit in on the class (but stress that perhaps now is not the best time for chit-chat). Nope, off she goes. Probably feeling a touch put out by my rudeness no doubt.

Number 2: Teaching P6, about 15 minutes from the end of class. Next thing i know two parents are coming in... its one of the kids birthdays. Blam! theyve got cake for everyone. I know, im grumpy here and should be a little less... teachery... but honest to goodness... couldnt they do this in one of the several dumb homeroom lessons they have?

But number three was the real doozy. There i am in mid flow teaching M2 i think it was. I notice two suits hovering around outside. They knock on the door and ask to speak to me. Okay, whats up? Must be admin or something... no no, its two idiot salespeople trying to sell me some kind of magic diet drug. Im in the middle of a goddamned class! Theyre pulling me away from my duties as a teacher to give me a bullshit sales pitch. I tell them im a little busy, but there they are again 5 minutes later opening the door and promising me itll only take 5 minutes.

its endemic. I cant even dream of this happening in Japan, China or Korea. Education really doesnt get the respect it warrants in Thailand. smile.png Theres a long way to go culturally let alone educationally before Thailand starts playing catch up.

Edited by inutil
  • Like 2

I've seen schools that were so fed up with parental interruptions, that they didn't allow students to be picked up by their parents after 11:30...until regular dismissal time. People would come and get their kids early to go get their nails done, or just to avoid the traffic at normal dismissal. I've also seen schools do away with the PA systems accept for first thing in the morning, and the very end of the day. That can really grate on you, too.

But to get back on topic. From my perspective in Chiang Mai, this is a horrible place for foreign teachers. The Thais love to shoot themselves in the feet, they love to take advantage of foreigners, and they resent the snot out paying you more than double what the Thai teachers make. Take the hint: go to greener pastures. I was banking 2000 usd per month in America driving the school bus. Had five hours off in the middle of the day. Not for the faint hearted, by any means, but that is real money. On 25 or 30K; you couldn't save that much in a year, especially if you wanted to visit home.

http://www.fcps.edu/fts/tran/opportunities/

They are still hiring....600 thb per hour...lots of smoking breaks.

I've seen schools that were so fed up with parental interruptions, that they didn't allow students to be picked up by their parents after 11:30...until regular dismissal time. People would come and get their kids early to go get their nails done, or just to avoid the traffic at normal dismissal. I've also seen schools do away with the PA systems accept for first thing in the morning, and the very end of the day. That can really grate on you, too.

But to get back on topic. From my perspective in Chiang Mai, this is a horrible place for foreign teachers. The Thais love to shoot themselves in the feet, they love to take advantage of foreigners, and they resent the snot out paying you more than double what the Thai teachers make. Take the hint: go to greener pastures. I was banking 2000 usd per month in America driving the school bus. Had five hours off in the middle of the day. Not for the faint hearted, by any means, but that is real money. On 25 or 30K; you couldn't save that much in a year, especially if you wanted to visit home.

http://www.fcps.edu/fts/tran/opportunities/

They are still hiring....600 thb per hour...lots of smoking breaks.

I think the teachers who have actually lived and worked here for many years would disagree with you. It's one of the most desirable places in the world to live. It's also popular with teachers for that reason. salaries are low compared too many other cities but do provide a comfortable living. However, there are hundreds of jobs here. This is a city with 6 universities!!!!

Choose money, head to the Middle east.

Choose life, head to Chiang Mai.

Gotta love your post.

Compared to many other posts.. thumbsup.gif

Edited by sirchai

• 2 weeks later...

Actually those teachers who has a fake diploma couldn't get a 5 years license because the Khurusapa will check the school it takes 2 to 3 months before they will issue the license and the Ministry of Labor also check the documents before they will approve the WP.

Really? How come that "Famcare International's" degree in Theology was accepted by all? TCT, Labour Dept. and Immigration?!?

Then there are a ton of degrees out there who all look alike from one university in Cameroon. Enough said.

Thailand would quickly recoup even a million Baht spent on sone P.I. or official cop investigating just the candidates with these degrees in Cameroon. whistling.gif

• Like 1