Young woman shot 'accidentally' by Phuket policeman

webfact

nice , give farmers a gun, called them BIB and that stupid one does not know that there is a bullet in the chamber????

and teasing a woman with a gun ?

let the family of the guy tease that man with some knives around his neck

Give farmers a gun? Most farmers I know have guns and know how to use them safely. I'd rather trust a farmer with a gun than some city boy.

• Like 1

He surely had her in a head-lock from behind so that his left arm was across her face and when he shot her that how he got the gun shot wound. I hope he is strung-up in hemp for this complete act of madness that happens all the time in Thailand. RIP for the young lady and condolences to her family for this pure act of barbarism that the BIB usually always shows.

DNA will show that in the mix of blood/skin particals on her forehead.

Sweet talk with hand around neck and hand gun pointed at head, pulling the trigger. Some how I doubt it.

He may have forgotten a bullet was in the chamber but everything else was done to create horror and

fear at the least. Manslaughter, reckless depraved indifference. She was terrified before her death.

This guy should go to jail for a long stretch buy no doubt he will serve an six month job suspension

for leaving the scene before a report to the police had been made.

A policeman teasing a waitress with his gun? To me he must have been scaring her to death with sweet words like: "if you don't do this or that i'll kill you... feel the gun?" Thats the same tease that make suspects admit so fast to "their" crime.... This Police man should at least get convicted for non premeditated homicide.

Poor waitress, rest in peace.

Took them 2 hours to RUSH to the scene of crime.

I was a pistol coach for my gun club in Aussie we always taught a gun was loaded until proven empty and even then never pointed at anybody.

As a shock tactic I used to load a gun with it pointing down range would rack the slide twice to eject a bullet then drop the mag and ask the class if the gun was now safe they all agreed then I would pull the trigger and fire the round in the chamber the shock value ensured that they would not forget this lesson.

We had the Queensland police train at our club when they switched from revolvers to Glock semi auto 40 cal there was a few accidents with "empty guns" never reported to the general public

In this case pointing a gun at someone resulting in a death is at a minimum manslaughter in most civilised countries

Took them 2 hours to RUSH to the scene of crime.

I was a pistol coach for my gun club in Aussie we always taught a gun was loaded until proven empty and even then never pointed at anybody.

As a shock tactic I used to load a gun with it pointing down range would rack the slide twice to eject a bullet then drop the mag and ask the class if the gun was now safe they all agreed then I would pull the trigger and fire the round in the chamber the shock value ensured that they would not forget this lesson.

We had the Queensland police train at our club when they switched from revolvers to Glock semi auto 40 cal there was a few accidents with "empty guns" never reported to the general public

In this case pointing a gun at someone resulting in a death is at a minimum manslaughter in most civilised countries

Yes, the shock value would make them remember not to do as you did for sure, as long as you impressed upon them after that it was an incorrect proceedure anyway and not to be done in that sequence.

I can't believe so many posters believe there is one ounce of truth in this ridiculous story and are giving credence to it.

Even the body was probably placed in position with the holster next to it.

The whole story is a total lie.

What shocks me most is that EVEN the media dare to headline "accidentally" !!

This doesn't look like an accident but rather unspeakable act of "machoism" and extreme, immense STUPIDITY... <deleted> !!

Unbelievable it is!

And, on top of it: This moron won't pay for this unspeakable murder!

It happened in a PUBLIC PLACE!

But: "Investigators continue to collect evidence to see if it matches with this theory."

And the media?

The media won't report anything about this tomorrow...

• Like 1

I am half expecting a claim that the trigger was/is faulty etc.....

I know nothing about guns, so replace my excuse with another technical issue....... either way a poor girl has been killed I am certain that the moron responsible will not be held responsible or suffer any consequences....

Out of a thread on a different TV local forum is this:

"This forum is terrible for racism. Everyone is so critical and cynical of Thai people. If everyone else's country is so great, why are they living in Thailand?"

If this policeman is not properly convicted of negligent homicide and sentenced to at least 8 years, how are we suppose to think otherwise?

Absolutely incredible.....

...to me, that so many posters here actually believe the "teasing - accident" rubbish put forward to explain what happened.

I know most of us could come up with a better story on the spot, but for these geniuses it took two hours to come up with this fabricated story. Of course the story is a complete falsehood, but at least this idiot has saved face while a poor innocent lady is no longer with us.

Absolutely incredible.....

...to me, that so many posters here actually believe the "teasing - accident" rubbish put forward to explain what happened.

I know most of us could come up with a better story on the spot, but for these geniuses it took two hours to come up with this fabricated story. Of course the story is a complete falsehood, but at least this idiot has saved face while a poor innocent lady is no longer with us.

I too believe that this particular story is BS, but the actual scenario as explained is quite plausible...just not this time..blink.png

So the staff heard a shot - a woman lies dead in a pool of blood and two hours for the police to travel the five minutes ride to the bar? One for Law and Order.

And the cop who apparently causes the death and shoots himself in the foot, sorry - hand, runs off to hospital because he is so sure he will get off he doesn't give a damn and better look after his own sorry selfish ass.

When will things even start to change for the better here?

TAT will neverthess be touting visiting Patong for the firecrackers this new year's. Jeez

I was reading on a Thai language Phuket site some other information in the police statement.

He used to come and see this girl every day and was very close and very well-acquainted with her. So, the other members of staff paid them no attention. (Remember this is a statement issued by the police)

The staff heard a shot but nobody saw anything. (again statement issued by the police)

The staff rushed to help the injured policeman. (again statement issued by the police)

The sergeant who fired the gun has yet to give a statement because of his injuries (it's his wrist!) (again statement issued by the police)

I can see the way this is being played.

1. Nobody saw anything, RIGHT.

2. The policeman, Pongsakorn Treeyuth, was a close and caring acquaintance of the deceased, Sawitree, and thus would not possibly hurt her on purpose. OK.

So it is all a terrible accident and the public should feel sorry for Pongsakorn.

He has been released from the hospital. He is meeting with the Colonel in Patong today to be fired. He is negotiation with the family for compensation. If there is no agreement, he will be charged and sentenced to prison in Phuket.

How do you put a compensation value on a life????

Sad that money is accepted so justice does not prevail.

• Like 1

He has been released from the hospital. He is meeting with the Colonel in Patong today to be fired. He is negotiation with the family for compensation. If there is no agreement, he will be charged and sentenced to prison in Phuket.

I agree with you 100%. There is no compensation when a police officer kills your daughter "joking around". Unfortunately, here in Thailand, there is value on everything, including life. It's easy to pay off someone to not be charged with a crime. Pay the victim, pay the police, pay the prosecutor, pay the judge, and you are fine. Very similar to how girls are sent away from the farm to work in bars. Parents don't care because they get paid. As long as the money comes, they will be satisfied. I can't imagine trying to negotiate a deal if an officer killed my daughter. Just like I couldn't imagine sending my 16 year old daughter to work in the sex industry....but here it's all overlooked for a price. It's Thailand. It's their house. Nothing we can do will ever change it.

• Like 2

I agree with you 100%. There is no compensation when a police officer kills your daughter "joking around". Unfortunately, here in Thailand, there is value on everything, including life. It's easy to pay off someone to not be charged with a crime. Pay the victim, pay the police, pay the prosecutor, pay the judge, and you are fine. Very similar to how girls are sent away from the farm to work in bars. Parents don't care because they get paid. As long as the money comes, they will be satisfied. I can't imagine trying to negotiate a deal if an officer killed my daughter. Just like I couldn't imagine sending my 16 year old daughter to work in the sex industry....but here it's all overlooked for a price. It's Thailand. It's their house. Nothing we can do will ever change it.

Not to question you, but where did you get this info regarding his dismissal & payment of blood money?

• 3 weeks later...

Update from the gazette:

Police not sure whether to sack him or not...

Phuket Police are considering discharging a police officer who shot dead a Soi Bangla bar worker on December 26.

The 35-year-old Patong Police officer, Sgt Pongsakorn Treeyuth, was off duty and allegedly drunk when he held an 11mm handgun to the head of Sawitree Kaewin, 27.

“We received an order from the Royal Thai Police in Bangkok late last month to investigate the case, and consider what action to take against Sgt Pongsakorn,” said Patong Police Investigator Jirasak Boonsang.

“He has been suspended from duty, but it has yet to be decided whether or not he will be kicked off the force,” Capt Jirasak said. “At this point in the investigation, we believe that it was not murder.”

According to witness statements, the magazine was removed from the gun before Sgt Pongsakorn showed Ms Sawitree how a person could be held from behind with a gun pointed at his or her head. It appeared that Sgt Pongsakorn forgot to check the chamber for bullets, Capt Jirasak stated.

“Three people who know both Sgt Pongsakorn and Ms Sawitree were drinking at a table nearby on the night of the incident. They told us that Sgt Pongsakorn and Ms Sawitree were friends and that there were no signs of an argument that night,” Capt Jirasak said.

“The only thing they saw after the sound of the gun firing was Ms Sawitree slumped over the table and a gunshot wound on Sgt Pongsakorn’s hand,” he said.

The police later questioned Sgt Pongsakorn.

“He told us that he was very drunk and claimed he could not remember what happened that night,” said Capt Jirasak.

The Patong Police still need to collect more evidence before handing the case over to the public prosecutor, as dismissing an officer is not something to be taken lightly, Capt Jirasak explained.

Patong Police have charged Sgt Pongsakorn with murder. However, Capt Jirasak said the charge may be changed before the case is handed over to the public prosecutor.

post-141789-0-95229700-1390559749_thumb.

So the police aren't worried about the guys total lack of judgement and that he gets drunk and plays with guns in the bar (if his version is the one they believe). They will only fire him if it turns out he meant to kill her.

If their standards of contact were any lower... oh wait, I can't even think of an analogy.

Thailand appears to need a police force for protection from the police.

• Like 2

Unbelievable............Well actually not seeing as he is one of their own. This perp is nothing but a piece of <deleted> and now they are trying to make the deceased look like a non innocent victim.

Notice how now she is a "bar worker from Soi Bangla" , <deleted> is that about and how does that affect the atrocious actions commited by this low life scumbag brandishing a weapon at 5 am who can now not remember what he did?

Is this POS not even in jail, merely "suspended". What a farce!

• Like 2

The patronage system trumps everything. This case shows clearly it subjugates police disciplinary procedures, the law and any kind of justice.

Sergeant Pongsakorn's career as a cop will be saved and he will not be fully "owned" by his patron, Capt. Jirasak, or more likely Capt. Jirasak's commanding officer for the rest of his days as a cop. It's win-win for Pongsakorn and his patron.

And as I posted a month ago, "Nobody saw anything," is the line the police are still putting out.

How could he not be charged with manslaughter (unintentional homicide) at the very least? Well, I answered that in my first sentence of this post.