Mahout Experience At Hutsadin Elephant Foundation

webfact

Mahout Experience At Hutsadin Elephant Foundation

pg16.jpg

HUA HIN: -- The mahout experience has been set up and run by volunteers at the foundation who want to give a more 'hands on' approach to visitors who are interested in learning about the day to day care of our elephants.

It is only available on a Monday, Wednesday or Friday morning 9.00 a.m. to midday and booking by e mail - [email protected] is required. The cost of this is 1,000 Baht per person. This includes a basket of fruit and a t shirt per person.

Just to give a general rundown of what to expect on the day :-
There is no strict itinerary, depending on what needs doing at that particular time, however, you will get a tour of the foundation, meet all 6 of our elephants, get to prepare food for the old lady (90 ish), feed 2 retired elephants, help to clean up their shelters, take one for a walk and then give her a wash.

If necessary you will get to give any medications due, and you will probably get to see the youngest elephant give her show if you would like.

You can also have a basic vegetarian meal for free! You will have an English speaker with you at all times who can answer any questions you might have. Please wear clothing and shoes that you don't mind getting wet and dirty.

hh2d.jpg
-- Hua Hin Today 2013-12-27

since I saw the youtube video beating the baby elephant into submission, I am a bit critical.

Actually I think most elephants in Thailand are just to entertain people and only a minority for work and I think that isn't necessary.