BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
davetrout

dowery?

Land Of Smiles

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

l have been with my girl 4 years now. she want to marry. we have a baby boy 4 months old now. l love her very much. how much should l pay for marry her and give to parents. she stay home with family in isann.

god help me

Yes Dave, you are into the glue.

Your sinsot is not necessary because your couple hood is time tested and your love for her and your baby is evident.

The poor women is just being badgered by her family to squeeze some more money out of you.

You have to man up NOW

They will never stop nagging her, yapping about some other gal of their acquaintance who has shown her love for family by blackmailing the farang husband.

They will also be asking her who she thinks will take care of her in her old age.

They will mix examples from both cultures to make their point.

Ad nauseam.

Get her to tell them to get lost.

Unhappy in life?? poor input to the OP. Though the parents want the money from the OP, it's their tradition to get sinsod form a man marrying their daughter. FIY: even the previously married woman, to remarry there is also sinsod involve, a lot less of course. The Thais always pay sinsod as it's part of their culture I see only the cheap Charlie farang trying to get away with it? Who shall get lost?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

l have been with my girl 4 years now. she want to marry. we have a baby boy 4 months old now. l love her very much. how much should l pay for marry her and give to parents. she stay home with family in isann.

god help me

Your sinsot is not necessary because your couple hood is time tested and your love for her and your baby is evident.

The poor women is just being badgered by her family to squeeze some more money out of you.

You have to man up NOW

They will never stop nagging her, yapping about some other gal of their acquaintance who has shown her love for family by blackmailing the farang husband.

They will also be asking her who she thinks will take care of her in her old age.

Ad nauseam.

Unhappy in life?? poor input to the OP. Though the parents want the money from the OP, it's their tradition to get sinsod form a man marrying their daughter. FIY: even the previously married woman, to remarry there is also sinsod involve, a lot less of course. The Thais always pay sinsod as it's part of their culture I see only the cheap Charlie farang trying to get away with it? Who shall get lost?

Sinsod, these days, has more of a symbolic value. Meaning, that of whatever the Sinsod consists of, it will be returned after marriage. AND: If wife was married previously, no Thai-Man would consider paying Sinsod in the first place.

Before marriage, OP should poke around a little in order to find out if a Sinsod would be returned after marriage. If not, above comment/assessment by "davetrout" would probably hit very close to home.

Cheers.

god help me

You have to man up NOW

Ad nauseam.

Bugger me! You will be giving money to the monks next.

swissie is spot on - if this is intended as a symbolic gesture with the money passing back after the ceremony then OK.

If not the just say "NO" - sinsod is not for Farangs.

A relationship is about entwining cultures, nor just kissing the ar5e of every money grabbing wheeze. If you are that bothered about it (because it won't matter one jot) tell the family that in your culture such a dowry is paid by the bride's family but you have no intention of enforcing this.

I see, better keep the money for yourself for chang or Leo?

And when you go visit the IL in the village you complain they have sh*t toilet and sit on the floor to eat.... Now I get the picture so clear.

Different people have different values. Suit yourself.

And when you go visit the IL in the village you complain they have sh*t toilet and sit on the floor to eat.... Now I get the picture so clear.

A typical presumption from one the rose-tinted glasses crowd.

PM me if you want to know how much I have spent taking care of my partner over the last 8 years - and what I have spent contributing to help the family make a decent sh!t house.

FYI you could buy them the best dining table in the world and they would still eat off the floor - so save your money on that one.

• Like 2

As hard as I try, I can't make a direct connection between Sinsod and a Thai-Toilet. But in case a "no return Sinsod" situation comes into play,, the OP keeping his money and possibly investing it in Beer-Chang appears as an alternative. (Avoiding never ending grief and aggravation with little reward for the OP.)

Cheers.

I can't understand why you are asking such a personal question on a public forum.....<deleted> If you are about to get married & already have a child, you must already know your wifes family pretty well....you are bound to get all the usual replies saying that you are being scammed....It sounds to me as though you are looking for a solution that doesn't make you look like an rsole to your local peers/mates etc....maybe I'm a million miles away from the real situation....if you really LOVE your partner & child then you shouldn't do anything to make her & her family lose face...by that I don't mean agree to every demand....

• Like 1

A typical presumption from one the rose-tinted glasses crowd.

PM me if you want to know how much I have spent taking care of my partner over the last 8 years - and what I have spent contributing to help the family make a decent sh!t house.

FYI you could buy them the best dining table in the world and they would still eat off the floor - so save your money on that one.

Say 2 MB?

god help me

You have to man up NOW

Ad nauseam.

Sinsod, these days, has more of a symbolic value. Meaning, that of whatever the Sinsod consists of, it will be returned after marriage. AND: If wife was married previously, no Thai-Man would consider paying Sinsod in the first place.

Before marriage, OP should poke around a little in order to find out if a Sinsod would be returned after marriage. If not, above comment/assessment by "davetrout" would probably hit very close to home.

Cheers.

If you are going to give a gift with the hope it is going to be returned to you, then better not to give the gift in the first place and then everyone knows what you are all about from day 1....

• Like 1

nothing. if she loves you money wont matter

if money is more important than you to her then find someone else.

Spot on mate....you hit the nail on the head exactly

Edited by mxyzptlk
  • Like 1

As hard as I try, I can't make a direct connection between Sinsod and a Thai-Toilet. But in case a "no return Sinsod" situation comes into play,, the OP keeping his money and possibly investing it in Beer-Chang appears as an alternative. (Avoiding never ending grief and aggravation with little reward for the OP.)

Cheers.

Hahaha just read the post others moaning about eating on the floor and bad toilet when go to village make me thought of it. Anyway if anyone want to keep the money for their daily drink it's their problem not mine.