Grouting

tassini

Hi all,

We are now coming to the point where we will start the pool grouting and would like some advice. Our pool is 9m x 5m with an average depth of 1.2m. There is also a small spa area. We have seen the alligator platinum 20kg pool grout tubs and would like an estimate on how much grout we will need. Our tiles are 10cm x 10cm

Standard grout from HomePro (alligator, lizard, etc) will work just fine and is cheap and easy to apply. The grout will last forever if you manage your pH properly. Start dumping in granular chlorine though, and you'll be re-grouting every 6 months due to having caused the water to become highly acidic. Convert to a salt water pool to avoid this.

Standard grout from HomePro (alligator, lizard, etc) will work just fine and is cheap and easy to apply. The grout will last forever if you manage your pH properly. Start dumping in granular chlorine though, and you'll be re-grouting every 6 months due to having caused the water to become highly acidic. Convert to a salt water pool to avoid this.

and what is your idea for managing the ph correctly in a salt water pool ? ph controller ?

Controling Ph in a salt water pool is a snap. Once you have the Ph set up correctly on startup (with stabilizer) the only thing normally needed is a small dose of hydrocloric acid from time to time. I check the Ph and available chlorine with a simple standard test kit. The Ph in a salt water pool tends to climb over time. You will most probably have to add swimming pool salt during the rainy season to replace what you have to pump out of the pool due to the rain. We've had our very large salt water pool operating for about 8 years now here in Udon Thani with few problems.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

and what is your idea for managing the ph correctly in a salt water pool ? ph controller ?

Yes. Almost all our salt water pools are now coupled with an auto-injector for muriatic acid. The zodiac + pH models are nice, and take pure acid without a dilution tank. They monitor pH all the time, and inject acid when the pH rises above a set point (say, 7.5). You can also use a stand alone (e.g., Hanna) unit with a dosing pump.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm...our pool guys use granular chlorine and our grout has lasted 8 years. We need re-grouting now. Is that something you guys do? Might also be interested in some of your other services. But don't think I want the expense of converting to a salt water pool.

Depends on your water supply Doc?

Here in my part of Isaan well water tends to the alkali and I was continually tipping in HCL to get the acidity up when I was operating the pool on manually-dosed chlorine powder. No sign of regrouting needs for 30 months of such operation. Salt-operated now though.

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully this isn't too far off subject but my question is how to clean the grout in the pool without draining it first. My pool is only a few months old but the grout wasn't cleaned prpoerly before they filled it so now I am battling trying to get it all nice and white with a small grout brush. It the deep end it is almost impossible to stay underwater long enough to clean anything before i float back up. Anyone have any suggestions or methods i could use? I have tried a long handled brush but it doesn't work well either.

• 1 month later...

Love

How large is the joint between the tiles? If the joint is large you've got to use sanded grout which is not easy to find. Unsanded grout will not hold up in large joints. The instructions on the grout bag should give you the dimensions of joint it can be used on. I assume you let the grout setup thoroughly before filling the pool.

Here in my part of Isaan well water tends to the alkali and I was continually tipping in HCL to get the acidity up when I was operating the pool on manually-dosed chlorine powder. No sign of regrouting needs for 30 months of such operation. Salt-operated now though.

It also depends on the type of chlorine used. 90% chlorine has pool stabiliser added to it which is acidic but the 60% chlorine does not have the stabiliser.

Love

I would say that the joint is too large for unsanded grout. Look at the package and it will tell you what size joint it can be used in. I would say your joints are about 1/4" which I believe is the problem. Joints that size normally require sanded grout especially in a swimming pool which has to contend with the Ph of the water and the stresses from people swimming/playing in the water. I'm afraid your only solution is to empty the pool, remove the old grout and apply new grout. You can make your own sanded grout if you can't find any commercially available although I believe Crocodile does carry a sanded grout in white. Check with your local Home Mart which can order the stuff if it's not available. All you need to do to make sanded grout is add fine sand.

I hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It also depends on the type of chlorine used. 90% chlorine has pool stabiliser added to it which is acidic but the 60% chlorine does not have the stabiliser.

Actually, both have stabilizer. 90% strength granular chlorine is called trichlorisocyuranic acid. 60% is called dichlorisocyuranic acid. Both are stabilized chlorines. The only non-stable form of chlorine is liquid chlorine (10% strength) and the chlorine (gas) from a salt water chlorinator.

Gil

• 4 years later...

After a two year absence I  have returned to find myriad problems with my pool. A pool that was supposed to have been cared for by a professional pool maintenance company here in Phuket. Cynuric acid level was off the chart rendering chlorine almost ineffective. Worst however, was the Grout was completely eaten away. Hardness levels and alkalinity being the main reason. When I queried the company about these levels, they had not the foggiest idea of what I was talking about. I suggested they remove the word professional from their company description. Needless to say I am now managing my pool myself.