Just Stubbed My Last Ever Cigarette

Neeranam

I've quit many times before but this time I feel more confident.

I started taking snuss and got addicted to the strongest of that. Then I was smoking and taking snuss.

I read the Allan Carr book, well really listened to it and although I found him irritating and it all seems so obvious, I think it has helped me change my attitude to cigarettes. Someone from my work died from lung cancer aged 54 and another colleague died 2 days ago in an accident. Got me thinking that I don't want to die and certainly don't want to contribute to an early death. I always said I'd stop by the time I was 40 and did for a few years. So before I'm 50 it'll have to be.

Been 3 hours now and feel ok but can't really concentrate on what I'm doing. My kids seem to be louder than normal and I wish they would get the hell out the house.

Threw out all my cigs but have kept the snus as it seems a waste to throw it out as I got it imported. I guess if it gets uncontrollable, I can take the snus or chewing gum but Mr Carr said not to. Anyways at least my lungs will be better.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is so easy to give up smoking. rolleyes.gif

I did it 5 times successfully and started again 4 times.

The last time I smoked was in 1970 in Singapore and I have never smoked since. I was 26 then and had been smoking on and off since I was about 12.

Fortunately I managed never to start again but it was hard work. Although I am a non smoker my wife smokes though she has cut down and I want to help her but SHE has to want to first.

I wish you every success.

Thanks Bill. 1970 wow, that's a long time - well done.

I'd forgotten how hard it is to stop. Maybe as you get older the 'quitting' and withdrawal get worse.

I took a 4mg bag of snus yesterday to help the withdrawal as I was being a real bastard to my family.

I was taking 16mg bags of snus so don't feel that I've slowed down the process of quitting by too long.

Ah well, another day and had nothing yet but got my snus ready for emergencies. I have decided NEVER to smoke another cigarette.

Maybe picked a bad time as having a NY party tomorrow but some will say if I can get through that I can get through anything.

Thanks Bill. 1970 wow, that's a long time - well done.

I'd forgotten how hard it is to stop. Maybe as you get older the 'quitting' and withdrawal get worse.

I took a 4mg bag of snus yesterday to help the withdrawal as I was being a real bastard to my family.

I was taking 16mg bags of snus so don't feel that I've slowed down the process of quitting by too long.

Ah well, another day and had nothing yet but got my snus ready for emergencies. I have decided NEVER to smoke another cigarette.

Maybe picked a bad time as having a NY party tomorrow but some will say if I can get through that I can get through anything.

The party won't be too much of a problem but the morning after may well be.

When I started as a kid back in the UK me and my mate would pick dogends from the gutters, break them open to take out the tobacco and re-roll them with Rizla cigarette papers.

The local tuck shop near the school used to sell cigarettes one at a time and they also Domino cigarettes at 4 for 6d.

post-5614-0-70912000-1388300959_thumb.jp post-5614-0-67774400-1388301075_thumb.jp

Each day is mildly easier than the last. When you are sitting 3 months down the line and you are facing temptation just ask yourself 1 question. Do you want to do all that again?

VERY important tip. When people ask if you smoke you say "I don't smoke" NOT "I gave up". Positive language and a belief in yourself is key to winning.

11 years and 2 months non-smoking after 13 years of 20 a day (mostly roll-ups and joints!) I am SO happy I gave up. My wife is now 9 years and 5 months non smoking too and MUCH happier with her skin, hair, etc

Enjoy it, best present you can ever give yourself!

Preaching.?. As a non smoker who has to sit outside mainly because my Friends all Smoke , I feel like telling those who have given up to Shut the Hell Up. when they start rambling on about how long they have given up , some of the older generation enjoy it , and I find those sort rather rude. Many of us older Guys have been in action Shot at, Bombed and issued with Baccy n Booze , that's all I wanted to add. Give up if you can , I never liked it so it was easy for me at 15 ish, love Me Beer though..thumbsup.gif

Preaching.?. As a non smoker who has to sit outside mainly because my Friends all Smoke , I feel like telling those who have given up to Shut the Hell Up. when they start rambling on about how long they have given up , some of the older generation enjoy it , and I find those sort rather rude. Many of us older Guys have been in action Shot at, Bombed and issued with Baccy n Booze , that's all I wanted to add. Give up if you can , I never liked it so it was easy for me at 15 ish, love Me Beer though..thumbsup.gif

Do you feel this is the appropriate place for your whinging?

If you think I'm rude then don't read it. <deleted> this is a sub-forum about stopping smoking.

I was hoping for some encouragement, support and tips for staying off the weed. Also, maybe someone will be motivated to quit too.

There is a near forum about stopping drinking if that is in fact your problem.

3rd day and I feeling like killing my children who woke me up early and other crap.

My wife is not speaking to me as yesterday my car broke down due to 'my' neglect. But what a bitch, especially when I warned her I was in no mood for any mind games. Hell, she even blamed me for her father getting drunk and falling off his motorbike. It is quite good in a way but the party will be interesting.

It will pass, 'THE ONLY WAY OUT IS THROUGH'.

3rd day and I feeling like killing my children who woke me up early and other crap.

My wife is not speaking to me as yesterday my car broke down due to 'my' neglect. But what a bitch, especially when I warned her I was in no mood for any mind games. Hell, she even blamed me for her father getting drunk and falling off his motorbike. It is quite good in a way but the party will be interesting.

Fresh air. If you feel the itch then go for a walk. Be straight with people about why this means so much (children?). You'll be surprised how many people are on your side/got your back. Your children will thank you for every extra day you buy them of your life.

When you come up against the, predictable, people who try to convince you to smoke ("Oh, go on, 1 won't hurt") examine them as people. For your sake don't be shy (in your mind) you'll realise that they are scared because they lack the conviction.

Almost everybody I meet who smokes started pre-20. Ask them what they would say to their 16 year old child about smoking. Why aren't they telling their 16 year old self?

Your feelings are perfectly normal and you will be like this for a while. As draftvader said in an earlier post it does get easier with time.

It might have been better to have stopped after the party but on the other hand you may not have wanted to.

As an ex smoker I applaud anyone who gives up or even tries.

I used to have a mate who was an ex smoker but he was a rabid fanatic about it and lost a few friends after he used to put their cigarettes out in their coffee and/or beer.

All I ask is if you are in my house please don't smoke indoors as we live on 15 rai and there is plenty of open space. Even my wife and friends won't smoke indoors though they haven't given up yet. One morning I will sneak upstairs and record my wife when she is kickstarting her lungs in the morning and play it back as loud as I can.

If you do have a bad time send me a PM and I will talk if it helps. I am usually on around lunctimes but check my email 2 or 3 times a day.

Cheers

Bill

Many years ago, I went to a hypnotist as my last resort to give up smoking.

After half an hour of him trying to put me to sleep and me telling him I was wide awake, he announced that I was cured, and asked me to pay the equivalent of $100.00 in Greek Drachmas.

Coming out of his surgery, I immediately lit a cigarette and started thinking how stupid I was to go to pay this charlatan $100.00 for nothing.

That made me so angry, that I stubbed the cigarette out and gave up smoking.....for a month.

Unfortunately now at the age of 66 still keep smoking, although tried many times to give up.

I wish you every success and please come back and tell us if you succeeded.

Good luck Neeranam. Been trying to kick them myself for a few months now. Have cut down drasticly but still not completely off them. A couple of freinds have had good success with E cigs and I think I'll give them a try.

My dad quit cold turkey after being 20+ years of 2 pack plus guy. He's military man and is very disciplined.

I switched to ecig last year and haven't puffed a cigarette in almost one year. I feel like my current option is much more healthier. I think my lung is also telling me this and I can walk much longer. Now I am very sensitive to the smoking smell and find it not to my liking.

Many years ago in the UK my mate used to smoke Capstan Full Strength at more than a pack a day.

He used to cough like a broken old tractor and all his clothes smelled of tobacco.

He gave up smoking overnight about 40 years ago and became a reformed person.

It only took one man to convice him.

His doctor gave him the life or death choice. Quit smoking, exercise a bit and diet a bit and live a long time or stay as you are and die young.

He was 72 this year. Motivation is such a wonderful thing.

On the other hand my Mum didn't take that advice until she was 67 and died 2 years later of lung cancer. She used to smoke Rhodian and Embassy

According to my doctor my lungs are fine. It is just that I am a fat, lazy, bald and ugly bugger but I am happy which makes up for most of it.

post-5614-0-64762100-1388475275_thumb.jp post-5614-0-03334700-1388475293_thumb.jp post-5614-0-68296800-1388475311_thumb.jp

Looks like I'm going the tapering route.

I don't wish to discourage you but cold turkey is the best and quickest method. You now realise how stupid you were to take up the habit in the first place. You now realise how stupid you were to start smoking again after deciding to quit on previous occasions. Soon you might realise that 'the tapering route' is an excuse to not quit totally.

You need to punish yourself for years of smoking, rejecting proven health advise. Going cold turkey will be the best punishment you can administer to yourself. In the short term, become anti-social with all your smoking mates, who might tempt you to have just one more with your next cold beer. Have your walking shoes ready for those times when you feel the need for a nicotine hit. Start exercising to keep your mind off smoking and to take care of any weight gain. Keep yourself occupied with new activities until you are able to relax without the habit of reaching for your smokes. Bottle up your anger towards your kids when their noise starts to irritate you, and bottle up your anger towards posters like me who push you to your limits. Convert that bottled energy into determination to get through the next day without smoking and without thinking about smoking..and then the next day....and then the next day.

The more days of cold turkey, the easier it becomes.

Report back to this thread in six months time with good news, and a clean breath.

Still no cigarette but did take some nicotine in the form of Swedish Snus. Looks like I'm going the tapering route. This is the route I have used for other drugs like benzodiazepines(another real **** to get off) which worked.

The cracks are beginning to appear.

Wow, you're supportive. Cracks are NOT beginning to appear. Quitting substance abuse is an adaptive and continual process.

Neeranam. I would walk away from it all. Your addiction is to nicotine. The amount of people who "quit" smoking to then have to "quit" patches/gum/etc is alarming. Who is making the money from all this? Who are you giving your money to just to kill yourself?

Honestly, malcolminthemiddle has proved my point about people coming in and picking at your weaknesses. Did you really think that you wouldn't have weak moments? I remember my wife coming back home after 10 days off cigarettes late and tetchy. I finally got it out of her that she had got angry, directed it at me (because I told her to quit smoking or quit me) and went off to a cafe to smoke. She smoked 3 and then felt terrible. That was the last for her. This is the same girl that gave birth to our daughter in a bathroom with only me for company without any pain relief or assistance. You want tough? That's my wife and she still had a moment of weakness.

Pick yourself up and walk on....lesson learned!

Looks like I'm going the tapering route.

I don't wish to discourage you but cold turkey is the best and quickest method. You now realise how stupid you were to take up the habit in the first place. You now realise how stupid you were to start smoking again after deciding to quit on previous occasions. Soon you might realise that 'the tapering route' is an excuse to not quit totally.

You need to punish yourself for years of smoking, rejecting proven health advise. Going cold turkey will be the best punishment you can administer to yourself. In the short term, become anti-social with all your smoking mates, who might tempt you to have just one more with your next cold beer. Have your walking shoes ready for those times when you feel the need for a nicotine hit. Start exercising to keep your mind off smoking and to take care of any weight gain. Keep yourself occupied with new activities until you are able to relax without the habit of reaching for your smokes. Bottle up your anger towards your kids when their noise starts to irritate you, and bottle up your anger towards posters like me who push you to your limits. Convert that bottled energy into determination to get through the next day without smoking and without thinking about smoking..and then the next day....and then the next day.

The more days of cold turkey, the easier it becomes.

Report back to this thread in six months time with good news, and a clean breath.

Harsh but BANG ON! Nice one Mighty Mouse.

Wow, you're supportive. Cracks are NOT beginning to appear. Quitting substance abuse is an adaptive and continual process.

Dear Daftvader,

Quitting is not about being adaptive it is about being stubborn. The continual process you mention is maintaining that stubborness to never take another puff or nicotine supplement. If you don't believe me ask anyone who has tried to quit and failed, including Neeranam, they all have the same reason why they failed.

Dear Daftvader,

Quitting is not about being adaptive it is about being stubborn. The continual process you mention is maintaining that stubborness to never take another puff or nicotine supplement. If you don't believe me ask anyone who has tried to quit and failed, including Neeranam, they all have the same reason why they failed.

I see your point and appreciate the input.

However, I know some who have quit smoking by using nicotine patches etc.

Had some snus again today but less than yesterday.

Dear Daftvader,

Firstly, Happy New Year all. I hope the OP found a way through what has to have been a difficult evening.

malcominthemiddle I hope your mis-spelling of my moniker was a mistake.

Quitting is very much about being adaptive. Being stubborn is a great ally but you are setting the OP up for a fall. What if he does relapse? How does he cope with that if it is viewed as a fail? Remember that people all have strength but in different ways. For example, you will never meet a more belligerent person than me (without that person being insane or obstructive). Even then when I gave up smoking I had to utilise changing goals and standards to get me through the tough points. Once I quit I never touched another cigarette again (not specifically true as I smoke a couple of joints over the past few years but each time it was fairly easy to walk away) during the initial 10 years. It REALLY wasn't easy and I was very fortunate to give up with another person (my then partner who is still a good friend but sadly she relapsed as her, now, husband is a smoker). Both of us were as bloody minded as the other not to be the looser!

Please remember that being adaptive doesn't mean changing substance but taking the time to understand why you are feeling low, lethargic, agitated and then GOING FOR A F*****G WALK.

I do agree with you that stubborness is VERY important, but know that it does set a VERY narrow path that not all of us can tread. This is a VERY long distance race indeed. I have quit amphetamines, marijuana (not physically addicted but certainly a way of life), heavy social drinking, over-eating and smoking. Smoking was, but a country mile, the hardest as it is so socially acceptable that it is much harder to get away from.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I gave up the snus 3 days ago so this is my 3rd day nicotine free and it feels good. Glad I tapered with the snus. My opinion is that there is less likelihood of relapse if there is a slow taper.

Actually, my taper was quite fast really.

I am waking up earlier than normal but feel more aware and free from the bondage of addiction.

Well, I gave up the snus 3 days ago so this is my 3rd day nicotine free and it feels good. Glad I tapered with the snus. My opinion is that there is less likelihood of relapse if there is a slow taper.

Actually, my taper was quite fast really.

I am waking up earlier than normal but feel more aware and free from the bondage of addiction.

Great news. Remember that there will.be tough times ahead. Try and predict so you can plan. Keep busy and keep us up to date. We're all with you.

Sent from my phone, hence brevity and gypos

Archived