Just Stubbed My Last Ever Cigarette

Neeranam

Well, I gave up the snus 3 days ago so this is my 3rd day nicotine free and it feels good. Glad I tapered with the snus. My opinion is that there is less likelihood of relapse if there is a slow taper.

Actually, my taper was quite fast really.

I am waking up earlier than normal but feel more aware and free from the bondage of addiction.

Great news. Remember that there will.be tough times ahead. Try and predict so you can plan. Keep busy and keep us up to date. We're all with you.

Sent from my phone, hence brevity and gypos

Thanks!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I gave up the snus 3 days ago so this is my 3rd day nicotine free and it feels good. Glad I tapered with the snus. My opinion is that there is less likelihood of relapse if there is a slow taper.

I am waking up earlier than normal but feel more aware and free from the bondage of addiction.

Great news. Keep up the good hard work and remember there are a lot of people here who support you. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Great news. Keep up the good hard work and remember there are a lot of people here who support you. thumbsup.gif:thumbsup:thumbsup.gif

Thanks Bill.

Actually last night and today I have pretty bad cravings. Today is day 5 totally nicotine free. Today is children's day so driving all over the place dropping kids off here and there. Sitting in the car waiting is when I'd normally enjoy a smoke. Kinda feel that I'm missing something. But I am not giving in, thanks for the support guys.

Great news. Keep up the good hard work and remember there are a lot of people here who support you. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Thanks Bill.

Actually last night and today I have pretty bad cravings. Today is day 5 totally nicotine free. Today is children's day so driving all over the place dropping kids off here and there. Sitting in the car waiting is when I'd normally enjoy a smoke. Kinda feel that I'm missing something. But I am not giving in, thanks for the support guys.

Identify that as a potential situation that could see you back on the weed and think about something else to do instead. I always used to smoke on my way home from work so I started to take carrot sticks with me. Not that I am a big fan of carrot sticks but it cured the oral fixation issue for me. If you are stationary then maybe get out and go for a walk?

Thanks Bill.

I'm at 48 hours now. Read Allen Carrs book, watching the 5 hour 6 part web cast, that is helping with the boredom (or what in my mind is boredom). Food is tasting amazingly better, gotta watch that one. Been out on my bike a lot, like every 2 hours i grab one of my kids and go around the moo ban for an hour or so..

To be honest its the easiest thing I've ever done, and on the other hand the hardest. Been a smoker nearly 30 years now and as a diver for work it is high time i quit.

Neeranam, you are not alone mate. I'm in the same boat, same battle, war, etc....Hang in there and beat this demon..Smash its head in.

Cheers,

Ad.

I am now about 4 weeks totally nicotine free. I am feeling great - was well worth going through the withdrawals for. I had some real cravings a few days ago but one day at a time, I am not going to have another cigarette. The big test was when I was out at my poker game. 7 people around the table were smoking and surprisingly, I never got any cravings.

My father told me that he quit at my age, after 35 years of heavy smoking and is now pretty healthy(for his age).

I am now about 4 weeks totally nicotine free. I am feeling great - was well worth going through the withdrawals for. I had some real cravings a few days ago but one day at a time, I am not going to have another cigarette. The big test was when I was out at my poker game. 7 people around the table were smoking and surprisingly, I never got any cravings.

My father told me that he quit at my age, after 35 years of heavy smoking and is now pretty healthy(for his age).

Cogrtaulations.

I am so glad to hear you say that.

The hard part is over now but it does get easier with time.

I finally quit over 40 years ago for the 5th and final time and I was clear for a couple of years before that.

I was working in an electronics bay in Singapore where the temperature was set to 20C +/- 0.5C and the humidity to 70% +/- 2%. We used to go outside to get warm and I was

sitting with a mug of tea and asked my mate for a cigarette as I was bored stiff and that started me off again for about a year until I wondered one day why I was smoking and

that was the day I quit for the last time.

You CAN do it but be a little more careful than I was and tell all your friends NEVER to offer you cigarettes. Your real friends will listen and understand.

I have now been off cigarettes for 25 days after smoking for 42 years.

Really easy using the drug Champix. I recommend it.

I think I'd rather it was hard so that I'll remember not to start again!

If it wasn't hard then you haven't finished yet. Check out the information on how long it takes for your lungs to clean up after smoking!

Sent from my phone, hence brevity and gypos

Cogrtaulations.

I am so glad to hear you say that.

The hard part is over now but it does get easier with time.

I finally quit over 40 years ago for the 5th and final time and I was clear for a couple of years before that.

I was working in an electronics bay in Singapore where the temperature was set to 20C +/- 0.5C and the humidity to 70% +/- 2%. We used to go outside to get warm and I was

sitting with a mug of tea and asked my mate for a cigarette as I was bored stiff and that started me off again for about a year until I wondered one day why I was smoking and

that was the day I quit for the last time.

You CAN do it but be a little more careful than I was and tell all your friends NEVER to offer you cigarettes. Your real friends will listen and understand.

Thanks you Sir for the congratulations and support!

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Congratulations for kicking the habit!

thanks

Actually thought of cigs for the first time tonight for weeks. Just finished my dinner and thought it would be nice to have one then thought quickly of the pain in quitting 6 months ago. I KNOW I couldn't have one.

An excellent effort, mate. You've won a bloody tough battle and you can now walk around with a quiet contentment knowing you beat a right bitch. I'm on the same path, and I'll throw my story into the mix in the hope it will encourage others.

My motivation to quit was a complete body slam - heart attack. Maybe a series of them - I really don't know and the doc can't tell me, or is not interested (Thai social security situation). But the news (I had no idea I'd had one - it was only revealed in an ECG) and a powerful jolt early the next morning that left me with my heart trying to jump out of my chest was the final straw after a long period of procrastination. It's over 2 months now (smoking and drinking) and this demon is beaten. I can never smoke (or drink) again, and I'm bloody glad of it.

BTW, like you, I battled benzo dependency. I'd been taking only 1mg a day, mainly for recreational purposes, but as you know, daily use of even a small amount quickly builds up an "addiction". To quit was a year and a half fight that at times left me wondering whether a bullet was a better solution than quitting (I went cold turkey and suffered two brain seizures). I mention this because I used my benzo withdrawal as an excuse to continue smoking (trying to quit the two at the same time might have been too much for the body and the mind to bear).

But enough now. Non-smokers will never know the joy of becoming a non-smoker :).

PS: Used ecig to help with quitting. Can recommend it, but should warn it's not the knight in shining armour that many are hoping for. But that's a story for another day.

Thanks Bill. 1970 wow, that's a long time - well done.

I'd forgotten how hard it is to stop. Maybe as you get older the 'quitting' and withdrawal get worse.

I took a 4mg bag of snus yesterday to help the withdrawal as I was being a real bastard to my family.

I was taking 16mg bags of snus so don't feel that I've slowed down the process of quitting by too long.

Ah well, another day and had nothing yet but got my snus ready for emergencies. I have decided NEVER to smoke another cigarette.

Maybe picked a bad time as having a NY party tomorrow but some will say if I can get through that I can get through anything.

The party won't be too much of a problem but the morning after may well be.

When I started as a kid back in the UK me and my mate would pick dogends from the gutters, break them open to take out the tobacco and re-roll them with Rizla cigarette papers.

The local tuck shop near the school used to sell cigarettes one at a time and they also Domino cigarettes at 4 for 6d.

attachicon.gifdomino.jpg attachicon.gifrizla.jpg

You mean the days of "can I have a penny fag please?"

Tuck shop is a word from the past, conjures up memories of Billy Bunter.

Good luck to OP......you can do it!! thumbsup.gif

• 1 month later...

An excellent effort, mate. You've won a bloody tough battle and you can now walk around with a quiet contentment knowing you beat a right bitch. I'm on the same path, and I'll throw my story into the mix in the hope it will encourage others.

My motivation to quit was a complete body slam - heart attack. Maybe a series of them - I really don't know and the doc can't tell me, or is not interested (Thai social security situation). But the news (I had no idea I'd had one - it was only revealed in an ECG) and a powerful jolt early the next morning that left me with my heart trying to jump out of my chest was the final straw after a long period of procrastination. It's over 2 months now (smoking and drinking) and this demon is beaten. I can never smoke (or drink) again, and I'm bloody glad of it.

BTW, like you, I battled benzo dependency. I'd been taking only 1mg a day, mainly for recreational purposes, but as you know, daily use of even a small amount quickly builds up an "addiction". To quit was a year and a half fight that at times left me wondering whether a bullet was a better solution than quitting (I went cold turkey and suffered two brain seizures). I mention this because I used my benzo withdrawal as an excuse to continue smoking (trying to quit the two at the same time might have been too much for the body and the mind to bear).

But enough now. Non-smokers will never know the joy of becoming a non-smoker smile.png.

PS: Used ecig to help with quitting. Can recommend it, but should warn it's not the knight in shining armour that many are hoping for. But that's a story for another day.

Thanks for sharing mate and all the best.

Every day get better than the day before.

Congratulations for kicking the habit!

Actually thought of cigs for the first time tonight for weeks. Just finished my dinner and thought it would be nice to have one then thought quickly of the pain in quitting 6 months ago. I KNOW I couldn't have one.

More than six months for you now - cool. Or as we Kiwis like to say, "choice". :) Hope any grumpiness is gone as well.

Four months for me. Enjoying it. Like you, I get the odd twitch for a smoke - there are times when it's a nice to lie back and chill, but I do that with the ecig now. Also not missing the booze, except for the occasional twitch, but it's no problem despite being a moderately heavy drinker in the past.

How are you finding other things, like taste of food, general fitness, relaxation?

Archived