Distrowatch.com -anything better?

Deserted

Hi all, I used Ubuntu a few years ago and was quite happy with it. I've decided to go back to Linux as I've grown tired of windows but was not aware that there are so many operating systems available on linux. I know that may sound a little naive to linux fans but I only had Ubuntu pre-installed and saw no reason to change it.

I came across the website distrowatch.com which lists many, if not most of the operating systems I think, but since I know so little about Linux, I was wondering if there is a web-site which goes into the pros and cons of each os a little more? Another question I have is that I would like to use backtrack with linux, are some os better than others with it or does it really matter?

thx

to address your last question first, do you mean backtrack the penetration testing tools, or backtrac the backup software? if the former, backtrack linux is now kali linux, and is a full distribution in itself - you can install the tools on any distro (and there are several other security based distros available), but if that's what you are asking about you just install kali.

i have been a linux geek for MANY years and am constantly investigating and testing various distributions, and i do not know of any truly impartial site which compares various linux distros without some bias. the beauty of today's world is that you can easily test any (or many, as in my case) distro you want by using virtual machines without disrupting your base system (although some are more difficult to set up in a virtual environment) distrowatch truly is your best starting point, based on deciding on a few basic questions:

-what do you want out of your operating system? do you want to learn about how and why things work, or do you just want to install something and get to common tasks without hassle?

-are you a minimalist? do you want to install only what you need to run your base system and install what you need later, or do you want every possible program/tool to be installed by default?

-do you want a worry-free stable system, or do you want the latest versions of everything along with the possibility of dealing with some things not being quite stable and needing some work to get running?

it is true that there are almost too many distributions to choose from which can be somewhat intimidating, but starting with the distrowatch 'major distributions' is a fairly accurate representation of the general consensus of popularity in my experience. if you have a special need, such as being a musician, graphic designer, engineer, etc... there are distros which focus on those specialties and can be easily identified on distrowatch.

most every linux user has done the distro hop at one time or another, and many have settled on their favorite (or favorites) while many are still looking. you will see plenty of opinions both in this forum (check old threads) and any other site for geeks you can find about what is 'best' and why, but the beauty is that you have the freedom and ability to make your own choice.

ask here about your specific needs and i am sure you will get plenty of responses, most of us love to proselytize our own favorites!

Also, am I making a mistake to assume that some operating systems are much better than others, I think for my needs security and an easy to use interface would be my main hopes.

you snuck that in while i was still editing my previous diatribe, but...

you are not making a mistake to assume some are better than others, but as i wrote above it all depends on your needs (and you will be sure to get plenty of heavily biased answers on which is best if you ask). any major distribution with a decent package manager will be far more secure that any M$ system for sure, but if you are talking a higher level of security (or anonymity) such as required by tools such as backtrack provides there are certainly plenty of options.

as for easy to use interface there will also be plenty of differing opinions but from the basics of your posts i would suggest you try linuxmint (in any of its flavors) lubuntu, or xubuntu. all have a desktop and menu interface that will be fairly easy to navigate coming from the world of windoze, and are fairly stable and secure with a good userbase and helpful support resources. if you case to be more adventurous i would suggest crunchbang or archbang.

Edited by dharmabm

I don't need everything from an os. Stability and security are my main concerns. An interface that's relatively easy would help. Ubuntu was okay though a little awkward in one or two places.

In essence, I would like to find something that doesn't need updating and a lot of maintenance. My main grips with windows is that the cpu is constantly being run down and I have to install updates to everything all the time. I'd just like to get as far away from that as possible.

PClinuxOS is vary simple rolling distro with updates system. Vary stable if you just use the packages provided in their repo all are tested and packaged for PClinuxOS and the forum is helpful place. Choice of Desktops KDE, Gnome etc still have 32bit as well as 64bit.

• Like 1

The distro jungle is indeed one of the big hindrances for a newbie.

I went at first with a big distro - Ubuntu - and found it rather frustrating. Almost gave up on Linux after a week or two.

Thanks to Phil for pointing me to fedora which feels slick and fast whereas Ubuntu appears as bloated as Windows.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Quite a few of us TVers are using Lubuntu, which has a lot of the bloat of Ubuntu cut out. The latest version is 13.10, but in April version 14.04 should be out with long-term support.

Just my two bobs worth, AA

• Like 1

Linux Mint should fit well for your requirements. I have been using it for 3+ years now, tried many others. Very good with updating and usual Linux security. I prefer the Cinnamon interface but the others are well supported.

Hi yeah, after having a look around, it seems as though I will try mint first and if I don 't like it have a rethink.

Agree with earlier comments, I was surprised at how bloated ubuntu is.

to address your last question first, do you mean backtrack the penetration testing tools, or backtrac the backup software? if the former, backtrack linux is now kali linux, and is a full distribution in itself - you can install the tools on any distro (and there are several other security based distros available), but if that's what you are asking about you just install kali.

Sorry, I think I may have misunderstood you. Is Kali an operating system itself with what was formerly the backtrack tool set with it?

Sorry, I think I may have misunderstood you. Is Kali an operating system itself with what was formerly the backtrack tool set with it?

Yes, Kali is a full blown distribution, as was backtrack. Not really suitable for everyday use (although it could be), and is not the most user friendly. I use it in a VM for when I need its particular tools

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus SlimKat using Tapatalk

Yes, Kali is a full blown distribution, as was backtrack. Not really suitable for everyday use (although it could be), and is not the most user friendly. I use it in a VM for when I need its particular tools

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus SlimKat using Tapatalk

Why is not suitable for everyday use if I may ask?

Linux Mint.

If my Thai wife can use it and feel comfortable with it anyone can.

Have been using Linux on my desktops at home for the last three years, currently have Linux Mint 15 installed which runs perfectly.

Linux Mint.

Have been using Linux on my desktops at home for the last three years, currently have Linux Mint 15 installed which runs perfectly.

Yeah thanks, though its more the security tools aspect associated with Kali that I am interested in. If they can all be run on Mint, then that's my answer probably

I think the desktop one chooses is more important than the distro itself. The Unity desktop with Ubuntu is absolutely awful but if you change to Gnome Classic it's great.

What's the best desktop for Mint if one likes the Gnome classic shell (i.e. the Applications and Places menus in the top left)?

Linux Mint.

Yeah thanks, though its more the security tools aspect associated with Kali that I am interested in. If they can all be run on Mint, then that's my answer probably

Edited by Stocky

I have had the worst experience trying to download the ISO for Opensuse 13.1 from CM Thailand.

I keep getting incomplete downloads, sometimes it just stops at 100MB, and sometimes it won;t start.

So now I going to try uget, which I think is probably the best choice for a download manager, and is usually included in all the distro packages.

On windows I guess you can use Flashgot for Firefox.

But this uget looks really nice and it is simple and not cluttered with extra garbage.

Try it if you want.

I am starting to get Freaked Out now!

Here is my problem downloading the ISO for 13.1,

And you tell me if I am in the Twilight Zone or WHAT?!

1. I went to the download sight http://software.opensuse.org/131/en and hit the DVD 4.3GB 64bit English ISO download button with the "direct link" button selected. SO NOTHING new here. This is the way I do it every download.

But, I never get a full download.

2. So, then I tried a download manager on a windows laptop computer. I was able to download, but on several tries, I ended up downloading exactly 100 MB of the 4.3GB file. Why this exact 100 MB on each try?

3. Then I tried using Chrome to download on a linux computer. But each time, I still get this magic number 100 MB. I used the Argonne National Laboratory MIRROR outside Chicago.

4. So now I am trying to download this 4.3GB ISO for 13.1 using my seedbox in Russia, And that has not started up yet.

What gives with this Opensuse 13.1? Is it jinxed? Or is this the twilight zone? This NEVER happens in Taiwan. I just download the distros in about 15 minutes at high speed, and everything works first time!

Very sticky wicket, indeed.

And very strange, indeed.

This is the link I found for the ISO torrent.

The Russian SeedBox likes it, but I wish that the OpenSuse people would make this process easier.

They should post the torrent link plainly so that we can cut and paste into any seedbox or torrent client.

I have never had this much difficulty with Suse ISO downloading. Really weird.

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:D72436E2EB1CAAF0598DDB299F38EEDC872DFE7B&dn=openSUSE-13.1-DVD-x86_64.iso&tr=http%3a%2f%2ftracker.opensuse.org%3a6969%2fannounce

Edited by MrGaoMungGawn

OK! I am downloading the ISO 4.3GB file via my seedbox in Russia.

Downloading at 2MB/s and I have already passed the crazy 100MB hurdle noticed in all previous downloads today, both direct link and on mirrors. I now have downloaded 1.53 GB, so maybe I am not in the Twilight Zone after all.

This distribution from opensuse is well worth the effort, however.

I cannot get angry or frustrated in any way with the people at Suse.

I have used their software for many years.

What is happening, I still do not know.