Two dead after Phuket bus crashes on Patong Hill

Lite Beer

Two dead after Phuket bus crashes on Patong Hill
Eakkapop Thongtub

1388310786_1.jpg

PHUKET: Two people died when a bus crashed on Patong Hill this afternoon around 3pm (December 29).

The Natalie Tours bus reportedly lost control when going down the hill, hitting cars and motorbikes in its path before crashing at the bottom.

At least two people have died and many more are injured.

More details to come.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/two-dead-after-phuket-bus-crashes-on-patong-hill-43730.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-12-29

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

seems this hill has accidents more an more this past year than previously

i have no idea what can be done outside of banning big bus's and trucks, but than they will attempt the Kamala/Kalim hills

Way I see it is that the number of these large coaches has increased dramatically over the last year or so to cater for all these newbie charter tourists..

I wonder if the dead were folks driving motor bikes that the bus mowed down. It's amazing that there were no previously recorded deaths with these 'runaway' buses.

• Like 1

It's amazing that there were no previously recorded deaths with these 'runaway' buses.

There was one in March - Phuket News

NOTE: This post below is an older incident in March.

"PHUKET: One person is dead after a Phuket tour bus slammed into eight motorbikes and five cars on Patong Hill this morning."

• Like 1

its a very steep hill and on a corner.

This is from last month,http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=e-cDG4FgNGQ

and that was 2 weeks after a bus went of the road with 38 kids being taken to the hospital.

When will they realize that these heavy truck and bus's are just not suitable to be on these hills?

I love the new painted speed limits on the hill. 30 and 60 kms/hour!

Edited by phuketrichard

My sincere thoughts to those who perished, sorry to hear you have gone this way.

I guess the loss of control over kinetic energy occurred when the air-pressure energy that operates the brakes failed just over the top of the hill?...just guessing of course.

My sincere thoughts to those who perished, sorry to hear you have gone this way.

I guess the loss of control over kinetic energy occurred when the air-pressure energy that operates the brakes failed just over the top of the hill?....just guessing of course

"just guessing of course."

That's for sure...rolleyes.gif

Edited by LivinginKata
  • Like 1

I guess the loss of control over kinetic energy occurred when the air-pressure energy that operates the brakes failed just over the top of the hill?...just guessing of course.

Read my previous post. Need to use the gear to slow down. Brakes only on a heavy vehicle have a very limited life.

As it happens in my later college years (21 years old and with PSV licence Public Service Vehicle) I drove a double deck city bus. A lot of weight with a fully loaded bus ( we called it a swinger with many standing passengers). i remember very well coming down a hill and a car in front suddenly stopped. I jammed on the brakes, no chance of stopping, ran into the back of the car, not really much damage. I had to explain to the officials - I say brakes not work - they test and say brakes Ok. I realise (much later in life) that heavy loaded bus = brakes not work so good.

• Like 2

I remember from 20 years ago that buses had an emergency brake, operated electronically, which existed in a clamp on the drive shaft .

If buses had this 20 years ago already, then it isn't strange they don't have this today.

Edited by PeterSmiles

The length of the shadow is about the same as the length of the bus, 12 meters. The bus travelled that distance in a bit more than one second or so. Therefore the speed of the bus was between 40-50 km/h when it hit the wall.

The traffic flow was restored in less than 1 minute after the crash (some 45 seconds missing from the video).

The length of the shadow is about the same as the length of the bus, 12 meters. The bus travelled that distance in a bit more than one second or so. Therefore the speed of the bus was between 40-50 km/h when it hit the wall.

The traffic flow was restored in less than 1 minute after the crash (some 45 seconds missing from the video).

The video also appears to be running slightly slow, not in real-time, so judging the speed is a little difficult unless you also know how many frames per second the video was running at. However, the video certainly indicates the bus had a problem with ‘stopping’ since the bus continued in motion after first impact with car & concrete barrier.

The video also appears to be running slightly slow, not in real-time, so judging the speed is a little difficult unless you also know how many frames per second the video was running at. However, the video certainly indicates the bus had a problem with ‘stopping’ since the bus continued in motion after first impact with car & concrete barrier.

The reason I put the way I measured was that the calculations can be contradicted by someone who have a stopwatch, which I don't have.

After the impact the driver was most likely unable to break anymore.

The video and the speed itself works as very good reminder why seatbelts are so important, even while driving rather slow speeds.

Even 40 km/h to full stop (some milliseconds) is quite an force.

This is crazy , how can you drive a car in Thailand when dangers are everywhere, you try to look in your left and right mirror to avoid accidents but here you have no chance to escape .

RIP

• Like 1

one person dead ( from photo in the russian site ) was crushed in his car.

http://phuketrus.com/ru/photos/strashnaja_avarija_na_patonge_phuket-291213--_terrible_accident/

That car is just completely flattened. Folks inside had zero chance. Photos are graphic.

That bus completely pinned the car against the big wall with the arrows on it.