Smoke, Smog, Dust 2014 Chiang Mai

Tywais

New 2014 topic for fire & smoke conditions in Chiang Mai.

Members can report the conditions in their area and updates of the pollution numbers (PCD) and questions in this topic. Also published news updates regarding local conditions.

Regional Daily Air Quality Data
aqmthai.com Air Quality Index

Air Quality Standards Thailand

Smoke, Smog, Dust 2013 Chiang Mai for reference.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We haven't even got to Jan 2014 and I can barely see Doi Suthep. Looks like we're starting early.

With that said, my wife really has problems when the air quality gets bad. She used a cloth mask last year which had minimal effect. Anyone have a recommendation for breathing masks that a lightweight but still able to adequately filter the particulate out of the air, and where can I buy one in Chiang Mai.

I've ordered other items from AliExpress. Please be aware that your purchase can take a month to reach you if you select the free shipping. It sounds as though you need the masks right away so it may be wise to pay for expedited shipping.

Q:

How effective are face masks in polluted areas?

Seeing the pictures of the pollution in Beijing, I was wondering if anyone knew how effective masks are at filtering out the nasty bits. Do they make a difference?

A:

The constitution of those "nasty bits" is extremely variable by location and atmospheric condition. There are many constituents to air pollution including very large particles (i.e. dust), particulate matter (ranging form course-ultrafine), and various organic vapors. The problem is that most of the serious health concerns for air pollution (SOx,NOx, UF PM , industrial organic vapors) are not filtered by N95 masks. Those masks only catch the "big" stuff. There are no face masks that will help you that you'd like to be seen wearing around in public (unless you're in post apocalyptic somewhere).

The best option is to minimize exposure. Don't go out during periods of heavy pollution, turn car air recycling on, and use an indoor HEPA filter is you can. This is a serious concern for everyone, but especially for those with any compromise in their respiratory or cardiovascular function (asthmatics, elderly, COPD...).

People don't get how serious this issue is. Beyond causing immediate health effects (eyes burning, shortness of breath, asthma initiation), many known air pollutants are now linking to heart disease, cancer, and many other health effects.

2014 might be a bad smoke year as the underbrush up in the hills is quite dense this year. A few mountain biking trails got so overgrown with the late rains that we had to do a few hours of bush knife work to get them open again. I figure we'll start seeing the hills ablaze in a few weeks. Farmers are already well into burning their rice straw which is already making for somewhat reduced visibilities. Here's a photo from about an hour ago.

post-498-0-02789400-1388409551_thumb.jpg

2014 might be a bad smoke year as the underbrush up in the hills is quite dense this year. A few mountain biking trails got so overgrown with the late rains that we had to do a few hours of bush knife work to get them open again. I figure we'll start seeing the hills ablaze in a few weeks. Farmers are already well into burning their rice straw which is already making for somewhat reduced visibilities. Here's a photo from about an hour ago.

Really pi$$es me off when they burn at night. At least in early afternoon there's some wind to disperse the smoke.

Couldn't see Doi Suthep from downtown today. Took a drive up to the top this afternoon. I wasn't able to make out the outlines of the mountain until I got to Huey Kaow and Nimmanhaemin Road. We could use a weather change and some wind to clear this inversion layer of smog out.

The fire map doesn't look like it's a burn fest just yet, but visibility is horrible. Is this a combo from burning plus low clouds and pollution? Usually in the burn season I can smell something burning most of the time, but I don't now. Makes me wonder if the haze isn't burning related. Or am I day dreaming and justifying living in an unhealthy area?

7:08am. Worst I've seen it yet. Total haze in all directions. bah.gif

This, in the UK, is what we call 'overcast'. We have no burning and have this low cloud a lot.

My husband's asthmatic and we've been dreading the smog in March but if this is all it is, things should be fine.

Sent from my GT-I8552 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Definitely fog today, just like most mornings for quite a while now. But the fog eventually clears to reveal serious visibility problems. Been hiking in the hills to the east of San Kamphaeng & visibility is very poor. Wonder if this has anything to do with the serious numbers of vehicles clogging the roads over New Year at the same time as temperature inversion conditions. Sign of things to come in this small valley as it "develops" sad.png

Definitely fog today, just like most mornings for quite a while now. But the fog eventually clears to reveal serious visibility problems. Been hiking in the hills to the east of San Kamphaeng & visibility is very poor. Wonder if this has anything to do with the serious numbers of vehicles clogging the roads over New Year at the same time as temperature inversion conditions. Sign of things to come in this small valley as it "develops" sad.png

The fire map is showing a considerable more spread than a few days ago when it had nearly nothing showing for CM region. Took a snapshot as the fire map is dynamic.

post-566-0-79704800-1388919152_thumb.jpg

Just HORRIBLE this morning. I'm near Doi Suthep and it's the worst I've seen it in a while. I can't see a silhouette of the mountain. 7:16am.

That was mist

I do wish it would go away. It's ruining the wonderful mountain view I paid extra for. facepalm.gif

Took off 9:30 this morning heading to Bangkok, and when we cleared the fog at about 1500m it became evident that the whole region is blanketed by heavy brown/gray smog. Visibility down to about 3km in all directions. By comparison, Bangkok now looks much clearer than CM.

• 2 weeks later...

Am new to Thaivisa and posted on this topic in general forum.

FWIW:

Masks of various ratings available from 3M store LH side Wualai Road going away from the moat.

Store has large PHILLIPS sign on front.

See : aqicn.org/map/thailand/

This gives real time pollution levels including two Chiangmai sites.

Site also gives info on masks.

Cloth surgical masks worse than useless.

Hope this helps

Archived