Smoke, Smog, Dust 2014 Chiang Mai

Tywais

How does this year compare to years past ??

Over 50 pages to check, so if any long time members care to help me out ...

Frankly, we have worst smoke problems in Canada during a year with many forest fires.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This year started very well, less pollution than I remember in some Februarys previous, then the 1st March hit and its been a typical March. Hopefully its done, a couple of years back, 2012 if I'm not mistaken, it went on into May.

How does this year compare to years past ??

Over 50 pages to check, so if any long time members care to help me out ...

Frankly, we have worst smoke problems in Canada during a year with many forest fires.

I am responding not to belittle your request for information, just to say that --- when it gets down to it --- it is not what happened before but what happens next that counts.

If you bother to do any homework and select the statistical charts and their analyses posted by (former?) member "Priceless" (once updated last year by Winnie the Kwai, I believe) you will find that there has been a gradual easing of PM<10 pollution over the years since data have been available. Priceless was the best at providing summary statistical analysis based upon available data.

There are, however, a couple of fundamental weaknesses in such statistical studies. There are only two consistent data collection locations in the entire province. They are geographically in or very near the center city. Over time, they have been in sync, usually one a bit higher in its readings than the other. That noted, obviously very local conditions can vary. It depends, for example, on how much your neighbors like to burn trash, or how close you live to a very busy traffic intersection. Otherwise, not being a slave to statistics which are underlaid by weak data collection, I DO accept the notion that over time, that these limited readings DO reflect the general condition in our valley. That's the best we can do! To do more, indeed, is largely irrelevant.

What is relevant, of course, is reducing the overall pollution.

I believe that most of it is caused by local geographical and meteorlogical circumstances. Yes, I can accept the proposition that smoke travels over mountains on prevailing winds and that the problem is regional in SE Asia --- but the core solution of Thailand's problem is to stop burning here and in Central and Northern Thailand. Blaming the Burmese for Thailand's problems is a meteorologically weak case; and more so regarding the neighboring Chinese and the Laotians.

Solving the problem is much more difficult. It is a socioeconomic problem, in particular, regarding agricultural straw burning (including brush fires to stimulate marketable mushroom growth) and clearing of land for more agriculture. Solutions to this are not easy. And one should not point the finger at Thailand or its close neighbors. The same struggle has gone on worldwide in transforming economies including the USA, Canada, Australia, et al. In fact, some agricultural burning is still permitted in some of those countries. Check out Central California, for example!

So, perhaps you will do some more homework! There is always more information to gather and share as more comes to light. Don't become one of the idle speculators!

I drove trough the mountains between Fang and Mae Suay last week, what a sad sight it was. So many burnings have taken place, trees and vegatation were burned flat on a huge area.

MG, you wrote: "Yes, I can accept the proposition that smoke travels over mountains on prevailing winds and that the problem is regional in SE Asia --- but the core solution of Thailand's problem is to stop burning here and in Central and Northern Thailand. Blaming the Burmese for Thailand's problems is a meteorologically weak case";

Why exactly is it a meterologically weak case? You accept that PM travels over mountains on prevailing winds and the wind current maps show the winds consistently from the South West, the firemaps show frequent dense concentrations of fires to the South West, is there something that's missing or needed here?

MG, you wrote: "Yes, I can accept the proposition that smoke travels over mountains on prevailing winds and that the problem is regional in SE Asia --- but the core solution of Thailand's problem is to stop burning here and in Central and Northern Thailand. Blaming the Burmese for Thailand's problems is a meteorologically weak case";

Why exactly is it a meterologically weak case? You accept that PM travels over mountains on prevailing winds and the wind current maps show the winds consistently from the South West, the firemaps show frequent dense concentrations of fires to the South West, is there something that's missing or needed here?

I appreciate what you are saying, chiang mai. A while after I posted, I reread the post, and thought that I had oversimplified what I meant, but too late to edit. You are correct, the prevailing winds and the fires to the SW are there. In shorthand, I should have said "relatively weak meteorological case" and explained that better.

I think that there are two things to consider. First, relative to Chiang Mai, we have the meteorlogical dome trapping heavy local/Thai-regional pollution. Second, we really don't know how high, for how long and how far such pollution travels, especially when there are so many intervening mountains that may "trap" the particles in valleys to our West. In the meantime, in Thailand, we have been burning, burning, burning. In conclusion, Thailand needs first and most fundamentally to solve its own problems, not carp at the Burmese.

By the way, things aren't going to get better in Myanmar soon. The government has a very aggressive plan to increase rice production for export. Once upon a time, I believe, it was the leading rice exporter in SE Asia. Aside from pollution, one might consider what the additional competition means for Thai agriculture! But that's another story!

P.S. After no report for a few days, FIRMS reported two fires yesterday. Again, please understand those satellites don't begin to catch every field or forrest in flame. I hoped unreasonably that the recent showers were enough to discourage more burning. Silly me!

11.pm last night 2 large fires lit near the Pai Memorial Bridge. Very close to resorts and homes, farmers do not care much for the safety and comfort of others. sad.png

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Quite amazing that with all the rains, there are still areas that are bone dry. The good thing in our area is that everything has been burned. I rode 12 km the other day on the trails, 100% on charred landscape and then ran into a farmer burning wet leaves near the house. If you got em, burn em. The air in CM has improved greatly with the recent rains though so no complaints!

Nice brisk wind and driving rain today. I could see Doi Suthep clearly, a first for quiet awhile. thumbsup.gif My sinuses, eyes, and respiratory system are ready for the rainy season. It's been tough this year.

While we're suffering from the haze generated mostly by the fires to the north and east of us, there's an old threat coming from the south...........http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2014/03/27/asia-pacific/indonesian-forest-fires-feed-air-pollution-across-asia/#.U0y8w_mSzX4

"High above the vast Indonesian island of Sumatra, satellites identify hundreds of plumes of smoke drifting over the oil palm plantations and rain forests.

Monsoon winds sweep them north and east toward Singapore, Malaysia and deep into Cambodia, Laos and Thailand. Southeast Asian cities have been choking for weeks, wreathed in an acrid, stinking blanket of half-burned vegetation mixed with industrial pollution, car exhaust fumes and ash."

makes me wonder why these fires don't show up on the current fire map??

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It is truly nice to step outside and see the mountains around Chiang Mai in all their grandeur -- clearly. I can take the heat, just give me clear skies. After 22 pages of complaining, it's nice to take a breathe of fresh air and celebrate the return of quality air. thumbsup.gifbiggrin.pngclap2.gif

Don't think this forum will ever fade away into the dust. But can you locals provide just two days of clean air so I can come up to buy my favorite Burmese clothing & some nice wooden statues. smile.png)

Clean air has started already so come :)

But you know what is next ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was in Chiang Mai a couple of years ago and got very sick. I had to go to the hospital there. I had a respiratory infection. I thought it was because I had been in Bangkok before going to Chiang Mai. I am thinking about retirement in Thailand. I want to get out of Dallas do to allergy problems. I guess Chiang Mai would not be a good place for me.

Rimping has small bags of cheap 'Air Filter for Air Conditioners'.

This is for covering you standard Air Filter.

john

It would be helpful if you could be more specific, especially to provide detailed description not only of the product name and manufacturer but also any information about the specific quality of the filter, which may be found on the package wrapping.

Is this the 3M Filtrete product? If so, that is inexpensive and quite effective for a limited easy fix for a continuing seasonal problem. It is also good for generally keeping the house clear of too much dust in any season --- so long as you limit new air! (Good luck!)

It is not the 3 M product.

Rimping at Nim City, airport plaza had several packets.

Mr Smart is manufacture Green plastic bag, English one side Thai on other.

Located with the cleaning products near the 'Coffee' outlet.

john

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

what would be the situation with smoke/smog/dust around the Chiang Dao region..

I'm also interested in Chiang Rai/Pai/Mae Hong Son situation if anyone can report from this year/last year/usual.. I'm about to go that way and would hate the fun to be ruined by all this smoke (never seen it yet, always lived south)

Archived