BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tywais

Smoke, Smog, Dust 2014 Chiang Mai

Just came back from a short trip to Krabi. Such a nice clean air down there....well, we can´t have everythingsad.png

The fire map doesn't look like it's a burn fest just yet, but visibility is horrible. Is this a combo from burning plus low clouds and pollution? Usually in the burn season I can smell something burning most of the time, but I don't now. Makes me wonder if the haze isn't burning related. Or am I day dreaming and justifying living in an unhealthy area?

7:08am. Worst I've seen it yet. Total haze in all directions. bah.gif

7:08am. Worst I've seen it yet. Total haze in all directions. bah.gif

This, in the UK, is what we call 'overcast'. We have no burning and have this low cloud a lot.

My husband's asthmatic and we've been dreading the smog in March but if this is all it is, things should be fine.

Sent from my GT-I8552 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

^ Come on, appreciate a joke when you can get one. ;)

(Look at the time, 7am was dense fog, indeed in all directions. :D )

Just HORRIBLE this morning. I'm near Doi Suthep and it's the worst I've seen it in a while. I can't see a silhouette of the mountain. 7:16am.

That was mist

Definitely fog today, just like most mornings for quite a while now. But the fog eventually clears to reveal serious visibility problems. Been hiking in the hills to the east of San Kamphaeng & visibility is very poor. Wonder if this has anything to do with the serious numbers of vehicles clogging the roads over New Year at the same time as temperature inversion conditions. Sign of things to come in this small valley as it "develops" sad.png

Definitely fog today, just like most mornings for quite a while now. But the fog eventually clears to reveal serious visibility problems. Been hiking in the hills to the east of San Kamphaeng & visibility is very poor. Wonder if this has anything to do with the serious numbers of vehicles clogging the roads over New Year at the same time as temperature inversion conditions. Sign of things to come in this small valley as it "develops" sad.png

The fire map is showing a considerable more spread than a few days ago when it had nearly nothing showing for CM region. Took a snapshot as the fire map is dynamic.

post-566-0-79704800-1388919152_thumb.jpg

Just HORRIBLE this morning. I'm near Doi Suthep and it's the worst I've seen it in a while. I can't see a silhouette of the mountain. 7:16am.

That was mist

I do wish it would go away. It's ruining the wonderful mountain view I paid extra for. facepalm.gif

Took off 9:30 this morning heading to Bangkok, and when we cleared the fog at about 1500m it became evident that the whole region is blanketed by heavy brown/gray smog. Visibility down to about 3km in all directions. By comparison, Bangkok now looks much clearer than CM.

Been pretty clear today. I could see both west & east sides of the valley smile.png Seems to have coincided with the mercury rising. Let's hope it stays this way for a while.

And the latest fashion trend for the coming smog season:

0,,17360594_403,00.jpg

Am new to Thaivisa and posted on this topic in general forum.

FWIW:

Masks of various ratings available from 3M store LH side Wualai Road going away from the moat.

Store has large PHILLIPS sign on front.

See : aqicn.org/map/thailand/

This gives real time pollution levels including two Chiangmai sites.

Site also gives info on masks.

Cloth surgical masks worse than useless.

Hope this helps