BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tywais

Smoke, Smog, Dust 2014 Chiang Mai

Air quality perceptibly worsening in Pai due to numerous small fires. No forest fires seen yet.

Plenty of folks around my area burning off dead leaves / grass already. It's going to be a hazy next few months with the morons already starting early.

Visibility down to about 2km this morning in Sansai. Nasty burning smell permeating the air - this is a March kind of CM air quality.

^ No, it isn't.

March is region-wide and might smell dusty, but won't smell like burning.

You're experiencing local burning.

Which can definitely be uncomfortable when you're in that area, but as opposed to March this could actually be addressed. (I typically call the fire dept.)

You're experiencing local burning.

No, I'm not.

I'm experiencing madness.

Link for fire map?

Please look at my post #2 in this topic. That is a dynamic image to their site and is updated automatically every 8 hours on Thaivisa.

I'll periodically put a snapshot of the Thailand area of the firemap in order to freeze it in the topic timeline to see the changes as the map in post #2 is constantly updating automatically. Night views though are difficult to see border delineation.

post-566-0-67441000-1391096013_thumb.jpg

My unscientific way of judging air quality but the view of Doi Sutep looks clearer than it has in a couple weeks.

My unscientific way of judging air quality but the view of Doi Sutep looks clearer than it has in a couple weeks.

I rely on the same unscientific methodology to try and determine CM visibility.

However, having just returned from Doi Pui and Doi Suthep, I can tell you that the blanket of thick gray/brown smog is still enveloping the CM valley - visibility at about 7-8km from up there (5pm) today.

Is it really the third of February? It is stellar blue sky in Mae Taeng with visibility over 40 miles. Not a smoke column in sight. Best weather of the year......

Is it really the third of February? It is stellar blue sky in Mae Taeng with visibility over 40 miles. Not a smoke column in sight. Best weather of the year......

Shhhh.... Don't jinx it!

shhhh.png

Nice evening in Mae-on....blue skys...

Still cold at night but getting warmer during the day. Even had a fan on this afternoon for the first time in months so summer is on its way.

Couple pics taken outside Bann about 30 minutes ago..

post-13-0-16043000-1391423525_thumb.jpg

post-13-0-34464200-1391423774_thumb.jpg post-13-0-05668700-1391423935_thumb.jpg

Perhaps the arrival of warmer weather has stopped any temperature inversion conditions that were trapping pollution?

Hope it lasts a while.

7am and I can clearly see the mountains on the east side of the valley, watching the sun jump up over Chiang Mai.