Thais cannot learn from previous mistakes

marko kok prong

Thai bashing, Thai bashing, Thai bashing. C'mon people, get real, the Thais are brilliant. Where else on this planet do you see past CEO's of companies, educators, successful enterpreneurs, authors, financial wizards, highly educated men being taken to the cleaners by girls from the hills who can only say "I like strawberriiieeeee"......or "up to you dear". The Thais are brilliant......ooops, almost forgot the Thai mantra "ATM ATM ATM ATM ATM"

• Like 1

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting back to Thai people and dogs though - they are the single most irresponsible pet owners I have eve seen and I do not generally subscribe to Thai bashing in this forum.

To turn a dog out into the street where there are unvaccinated street dogs, dogs rancid with mange and other appalling skin conditions and then let them back in later to have contact with your children etc. is not just irresponsible , it is madness.

Are they unaware that humans can contract rabies ?

Add to this the crapping and pissing all over other people's property and it is not an attractive scenario.

• Like 1

It's Buddhism, they believe that things happen because they are supposed to. If the dog dies, it was meant to happen and nothing you can do would change it so why bother to do anything... ? One of the many problems here that people try to ignore.

Japan is also a Buddhist country. Japan was also mainly agricultural and historically had a caste system.

IMO you cant blame it on Buddhism. You can blame it on "mai pen rai" / never-mind mindset, an education system that fails to train the mind how to think= huge deficit in basic critical/analytical thinking ability, automatic pass education, corruption in education, culture/education that does little to stimulate intellectual curiosity, creativity, innovation, intellectual/emotional personal development + general lack of accountability. The tech era with all its computer/mobile games and social networking doesn't help either. Theres also the belief that getting ahead in society is about connections, who you know, or how much you pay/bribe someone.

I recall a lecture I did at a top 3 bkk university in which the department dean was present and repeatedly interjected the term "critical thinking". I would never have done that as I wrongly took for granted critical thinking is already there. That dean is wonderful, cares about every student and recognizes deficiencies.

I even know thai's that have taken their personal educational development foundations abroad to get trophy masters degrees. No lack of just doing the coursework to graduate but not altering/improving analytical cognitive abilities.

• Like 1

Thai bashing, Thai bashing, Thai bashing. C'mon people, get real, the Thais are brilliant. Where else on this planet do you see past CEO's of companies, educators, successful enterpreneurs, authors, financial wizards, highly educated men being taken to the cleaners by girls from the hills who can only say "I like strawberriiieeeee"......or "up to you dear". The Thais are brilliant......ooops, almost forgot the Thai mantra "ATM ATM ATM ATM ATM"

LOL, good one.

The thing is sometimes emotions can blind logic and common sense especially if the small head does the thinking.

• Like 1

Good point. Similar to blaming bad spirits for traffic accidents rather than lousy drivers.

Might add that critical thinking does not exist in Thai academia, either, which makes it

far behind academia in many other developing countries in Africa and Asia. Colonialism,

as despicable as it was, did have some fringe benefits..:)

quote name="connda" post="7224019" timestamp="1388379844"]

Experiential learning is a cycle of trying something, determining what worked and what did not work, developing a plan to do things better, and giving it another try.

It's culturally ingrained in Thais that mistakes are 'bad'. They don't do self critques to determine 'what worked and what did not work'. If something didn't work: don't admit to it; ignore it; pretend it didn't happen -- mistakes cause loss of face. Bad, bad, bad.

• Like 1

A). You ran over the dog that you knew was just purchased and could have gotten out

B.) You purchased it for a lazy ass kid

C.) You DO have to take some or most blame

D.). You could have bought him some music and food instead ( something he actually likes)

E. ) There are lots of irresponsible Australians too.

I think most people here Foreigner and Thai love to point the finger everywhere but at themselves

To learn from previous mistakes requires one to admit he made a mistake. But since admitting a mistake here is equal to loosing face, most people around here see it as an unsolvable quadratic differential equation of some kind.

In Thailand, the man is the head of the household and its ultimate authority. If YOU were responsible, she would have conferred with you before buying the puppy. Between the two of you, you would have determined whether or not the boy was responsible enough to care for the puppy. Verict: you are not the head of your household; ergo, you are not much of a man.

In Thailand, the man is the head of the household and its ultimate authority. If YOU were responsible, she would have conferred with you before buying the puppy. Between the two of you, you would have determined whether or not the boy was responsible enough to care for the puppy. Verict: you are not the head of your household; ergo, you are not much of a man.

maybe you should call yourself El presidente tonypace02,as you are obviously such a "big man"

If there is no consideration of whether a job was done well or badly then who cares.

Congratulations on your exam results. You grade F was outstanding. I think that when you look at the constitution and how badly its obviously written, this is one piece of paper they should leave to foreigners to write.

So you want them to jump up and run to the drive way to prevent the puppy from being run over by you or every time the pup farts go and look whats up. If I was your wife I would tell you to go to hell. Why can't you pick up the puppy yourself and do you expect them to have the puppy on their lap for 27/7?

Didn't take long did it... one in every room.

Marko

You are shacked up with a family of slackers. It's ok, we have all made the same mistake. All the smiles and all that in the beginning. Anyway, the key thing is not to prolong your mistake for bogus reasons.

Plan an exit strategy and then waste no time in getting the hell out of there. It will only grind you down if you stay longer. Don't be a doormat, even if for the very best of motives. Don't listen to the posters saying, "Be a man." Just get out of there. This is the best advice you'll receive.

Marko

You are shacked up with a family of slackers. It's ok, we have all made the same mistake. All the smiles and all that in the beginning. Anyway, the key thing is not to prolong your mistake for bogus reasons.

Plan an exit strategy and then waste no time in getting the hell out of there. It will only grind you down if you stay longer. Don't be a doormat, even if for the very best of motives. Don't listen to the posters saying, "Be a man." Just get out of there. This is the best advice you'll receive.

Yeah, there are plenty more who'll take care of your puppy.

In fact, many excel at it.

They are people. Thai People, at that. Supreme beings.

A puppy is just an animal. It is low. Very low. A person is insulting themselves in going out of their way to take of it, and especially when no one is looking, so why would they. There are balloons that need popping on the tablet and people with down-syndrome on the TV trying to juggle to be laughed at. Take care of a lowly animal, that no one will see them doing? madness.

you're very wrong in one way. I've lived in thailand a looong time, and I can tell you with absolute certainty that if the puppy belonged to the thai lady and she loved it, then she would take care of it. so it's not a case of being because it's a lowly dog. It's because it's not HER dog, and she doesn't really care what happens to it. I've had many thai employees, and same thing - if it's their car, it's noce and clean, they take care of it... but if it's the company's car, "oops i forgot to keep it clean". It's just in my opinion a real lack of empathy and any concern for their fellow man. It's not a thai thing either, it's common all thru asia. I've worked in Korea and China, and it's amazing - if people dont know you, they are rude, nasty, inconsiderate jerks. As soon as you've been introduced though, they are extremely nice and polite. It's a mentality of "us" versus "them". If you're on my team, i'll do anything for you, but if i don't know you or care about you, you can go off and die. I've always found that's the attitude in general.

• Like 1

Believe me it's not just Thais. My older brother is 10 times worse and I could write a book about his so called misfortunes

caused by countless poor decisions, which basically boil down to this. Its not my fault. It works so there is no problem with my work.

In your situation a/ the dog is fine so there is no problem, what on earth are you going on about. b/ If the dog had been hurt

you were the one who ran it over. What are you going to learn from that experience. You know the dog is not going to be tied

up, you know the visibility is bad at twilight when you are pulling in so pay attention and be careful. As for looking after the dog

you also know while kids promise to feed, groom, walk, and pick up after the dog it is you that will have to do 100% of it.

If the kids do it will be like pulling teeth. The bottom line with many Thais and my brother in particular is, " IT IS NOT MY FAULT."

I could list 1000 things/decisions/actions he has done that have led to poor outcomes but he fully believes that none of them are

his fault. So how can he learn? wai2.gif

There is no Thai word for "responsible" or "consequence". And yes, it is just fate, it's meant to happen ...

I'll disagree with you there.

Pets = Sat Liang where Sat means 'animal' and Liang means 'care for'. Caring for something implies responsibility (Paa-ra naa-tii).

Consequence? Pon suup nuang where Pon means 'consequence or result' and 'suup nuang' mean 'as a result of'.

And there are other ways to say each of these words. So, I'm assuming you're just being sarcastic, which as far as I'm concerned, is fine. I'm a Westerner. I like sarcasm. It goes right over the head of most Thais.

So they do know the concepts of responsibility and consequences, however, they also know that mistakes cause loss of face which is unacceptable. So they will not admit to irresponsibility nor suffer the consequences.

I'm not so sure having the words available in Thai is enough to make the leap that Thais (even generally) understand and employ in their lives the concepts represented.

Getting back to Thai people and dogs though - they are the single most irresponsible pet owners I have eve seen and I do not generally subscribe to Thai bashing in this forum.

To turn a dog out into the street where there are unvaccinated street dogs, dogs rancid with mange and other appalling skin conditions and then let them back in later to have contact with your children etc. is not just irresponsible , it is madness.

Add to this the crapping and pissing all over other people's property and it is not an attractive scenario.

Don't like it here....go home.

Don't like it here....go home.

You obviously have a wonderful economy with word's, I look forward to your next post with great eagerness.

Tip.

Must try harder to come up with something original if you don't want to seem a complete idiot.

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 2